the best tanker jacket repro

Sgt.MikeHorvath

Sgt.MikeHorvath
SERGEANT MIKE HORVATH: Attached as scans are two examples of tanker jackets. w00t.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ( hhbooker2@yahoo.com ) See: http://www.diggerhistory.info & http://militarybadges.info

good morning sir!! :)

i'm very grateful for your photo...i dared to visit your profile and i saw you collect photos pics etc...i collect several pics and photos(most on my pc) too from months...can i add your yahoo address in my messenger please??...i would like speak with you :)

Sgt.MikeHorvath
Horvath, here is a pic of my ATF tanker. Sorry the lighting isnt very good.

miscpics432-1.jpg

thank you DALBEY...it is better then i thougth... ;)

Sgt.MikeHorvath

guys i have another question...do you know the site WHAT PRICE GLORY and his tanker jacket repros???...i sent him a mail and he said me his repros are the best...what do you think?..anybody have one of his repros?

Hey Horvath,

Heres a pic of my WWII Impressions Winter Combat Jacket "Tanker"....

WWIIImpTanker.jpg

As far as I know Juan at WWII Impressions and Rolin at At The Front use actual originals from their collections as templates for thier reproductions. I'm not sure about Buzz Rickson's or Jerry at What Price Glory.

Kind Regards,

FRISCAN

Sgt.MikeHorvath
Hey Horvath,

Heres a pic of my WWII Impressions Winter Combat Jacket "Tanker"....

WWIIImpTanker.jpg

As far as I know Juan at WWII Impressions and Rolin at At The Front use actual originals from their collections as templates for thier reproductions. I'm not sure about Buzz Rickson's or Jerry at What Price Glory.

Kind Regards,

FRISCAN

thank you very much frescan thumbsup.gif

you jacket seems a very good repro...it seems similar to at the front once...don't you think??

craig_pickrall
craig it's very itneresting...thank you...

the tanker jackets are yours?...fisrts and second pattern once???...they are originals or repros??

however they are very good.. thumbsup.gif

The 2nd pattern jacket is mine as are the 1st and 2nd pattern bibs.

The 1st pattern jacket belongs to General Apathy.

All pieces are original.

good morning sir!! :)

i'm very grateful for your photo...i dared to visit your profile and i saw you collect photos pics etc...i collect several pics and photos(most on my pc) too from months...can i add your yahoo address in my messenger please??...i would like speak with you :)

SERGEANT MIKE HORVATH: My email address is hhbooker2@yahoo.com Glad that you had a chance to stop by and visit my website, yes, I collect pictures too! :) Sarge Booker

post-837-1204564285.jpg

Here is a comparison of an SM Wholesale Jacket, an Original Tanker, and one i purchased on ebay (Sprearhead military).

Tankers-1.jpg

A comparison of pocket location. The SM Wholesale is a size 46, the original about a size 38 to 40 and the other is a size 44.

Tankers-3.jpg

I painted the back of jacket on the right

Tankers-2.jpg

Armed 2 tha Teeth
guys i have another question...do you know the site WHAT PRICE GLORY and his tanker jacket repros???...i sent him a mail and he said me his repros are the best...what do you think?..anybody have one of his repros?

Of course he is going to say his are the best, but they aren't they are oppressively heavy. You feel like your wearing an overcoat.

Sgt.MikeHorvath
Of course he is going to say his are the best, but they aren't they are oppressively heavy. You feel like your wearing an overcoat.

is it true??...their internal pile is heavy??...but...is it wool???100% wool?...how does it fit???...have you once???

I find that most Repros are made "Fat" therfore if you order a 44 chest - they are built for a 44 waist. :blink:

Wheras I'm 44 chest / 34 waist - which is rather more the way Soldiers are built - So would be really good to know which ones are tapered and which ones are built for reenactors ?

Hey GliderInf,

My Winter Combat Jacket is a Sz. 40 and fits perfectly. I have a 42 in. chest and 32 in. waist and the Sz. 40 fits perfectly. Juan's has a great deal of taper and the fit... you simply can't beat it!! thumbsup.gif

Kind Regards,

FRISCAN

I have one of Jerry Lee's (What Price Glory) earlier tanker jackets with the patch pockets and I love it! I bought it around 5 or 6 years ago and it has aged very well. With the obvious exception of the pockets, it looks remarkably similar to the middle jacket in the pictures posted by Alonzo a few messages ago. The lining is great and has never felt to me like it was too heavy and the fit is very good too. I'm have a 46" chest and a 36" waist and the jacket tapers just as it should. I don't have any first hand experience with WPG's latest run of tanker jackets, but they look very good and for the price, I think that they are a bargain.

1. Everyone will always say they have the best reproduction "insert item here".

2. Dyes are tricky things. Some will alter color even if stuck in a dark freezer for 75 years. Some will hold up very to daily use. Most will be in between. It's all in the chemist. After a while of looking at things you see enough examples to generate a pretty good idea of standard.

3. Color on a computer should ALWAYS be taken with a grain of salt. I could make the jackets in the period photo look blue if I wanted to. Everything gets manipulated, even if the person does not realize he is changing it some programs run some auto-correct features under nose. Then it really all depends upon your monitor. A color true monitor is expensive and you have to keep calibrating it with a gizmo to tell the computer how to match the file color and screen color.

3. Color is relative. Everyone has a slight amount of color blindness. Especially men. Blue - green color blindness is found In a LOT of men. As we age the eye's lens actually yellows and tints everything we see. (odd thing- My grandfather could not the color red until he was about 70 and his eyes yellowed enough to alter his vision, weird but true). And color varies by what the color temperature of the light you are looking at it in.

Thus- everyone may have their own perceptions of color, and it is darn hard to argue the point unless you have both items side by side in direct sunlight.

But of course the Govt did have a standard shade they wanted things made. This was clearly laid out in the spec for the garment or the material. Some dyes were off, but close enough for government work.

My suggestion is to worry about the cut and the cloth and the details- then buy what you like best and GO ROLL IN THE MUD and it will look fine.

hbtcoveralls

Hi All, I agree with the last post. The most important thing which will make any Tanker Jacket or for that matter any repro look more authentic is a good coat of dust, dirt and grease. My ATF Tanker is a bunch of years old (bought it on the ground at the Gap when ATF was dumping their SPR repros) and had a couple of small rips when I bought it. After a couple of trips to the ETO and some hard wear it finally looks "right". I'm even suprised when experienced collectors think its a real one even though detail wise it's a little off track. The other thing is fit, many guys get their uniform clothes a couple of sizes too big.

T. Bowers

Sgt.MikeHorvath

anybody knows LOST BATTALIONS repros?...if you visit the site you can see its tanker jacket repro...anybody can say about it??

thank you friends ;)

• 2 months later...

Sorry, I get late to this thread, but just registered. :P

What are opinions on Sturm's tanker jacket?

I ask specifically about this brand (China- or India- made, as they don't make much themselves anymore) due to availability here, mostly.

forget about the sturm repros!

the colour is completely wrong (more on the brown side) and fabric is rather flimsy!

there are some good chinese repros on the market already but if you want a supplier in Europe try the company "Doursoux" - their jackets are made in france and of very good quality

see comparison of a STURM repop (the brown one) with another chinese repro jacket i purchased some months ago

Tanker03-1.jpg

here is the full view of one of the jackets which i rate as one of the better ones - not perfect but fine for me ...

Tanker01-1.jpg

Thanks for your help.

The only thing Sturm is making still in Europe, in theory, is the wool cloth for german uniform repros (then ship it to China).

Everything made of leather, they bring from India.

vintageproductions

While all the companies that have been named make nice jackets, we feel that the ones made by MASH in Japan, are as close to original as possible. They have been making them the longest in Japan, in fact way before Buzz Rickson was even on the scene. Every time they make a run of these they sell out quickly. I believe they mentioned they mnight be making another run soon.

WWII US ARMY

- JACKET, COMBAT, WINTER - -- JACKET, COMBAT, WINTER --

PRICE: \25,800 PRICE: \ 25,800

制作サイズ:XS, S, M, L, XL, Production Size: XS, S, M, L, XL,

ITEM #: 09-03-1140 ITEM #: 09-03-1140

※各サイズの在庫状況に関しては、 サイズ・チャートを参照下さい。 ※ availability for each size, size charts please refer.

主な復刻 SPEC. Major revival of SPEC.

・表地:綿 100%, ウェストポイント地 Outer material: 100% cotton, West Point area

・ライニング:ウール100%, 別織ラシャ地, 14オンス Lining: 100% wool and cloth woven by land, 14 ounces

・ニットパーツ:ヴァージンウール 100% Knit part: 100 percent virgin wool

タンカージャケットを着用したエースパイロット、Lt.James M.Morris(1944年2月20日撮影) Tanker jacket worn by ace pilot, Lt.James M. Morris (1944 year on Feb. 20 shooting)

ライニング/インサイド Reining / Inside 袖口ニット/ウール100% Knit cuffs / 100% wool

筒・2段編み Knitting cylinder two-stage

コントラクト・ラベル The label contract 復刻M-42型ジッパー Reprinted zipper-type M-42

実物TALON、 Real TALON,

M-42スライダー使用 M-42 using a slider

大戦時、厳冬のヨーロッパ戦線において、従来にない優れた保温力と機能性をあわせ持つ冬期戦闘服の必要性に迫られた米陸軍は1941年2月、襟・裾・袖口にニットを配した正式名 : JACKET, COMBAT, WINTERを開発採用した。 War, cold winter in Europe Front for the unprecedented power and functionality of the excellent thermal insulation in winter combined with the need to battle the U.S. Army was forced in February 1941, knit collar and cuffs hem配したFormal name: JACKET, COMBAT, WINTER developed adopted. ARMORED TROOPS(機甲部隊)に多く支給された事から一般に“タンカージャケット”と呼ばれるこのジャケットが広く世に知られるようになったのには、映画“TAXI DRIVER”/'76年作品でロバート・デ・ニーロが着用した影響が大であろう。 ARMORED TROOPS (cavalry) more commonly paid by someone from the "tanker jacket," This jacket is widely known as the world became a movie "TAXI DRIVER" /'76 year work in the Robert De Niro is wearing a big impact. 首元まで閉じることの出来るファスナー仕様、ウールのラシャ織ライニング、防水処理された厚手ツィル地、等から構成されたその高い保温性、又ルーズに設計されたアームホール、バックプリーツを持つパターン設計が与える優れた運動性は地上部隊の兵士達のみならず、多くのパイロット達にも好まれフライトジャケットとして用いられた事は知られる所である。 Close to the neck as fasteners specifications, cloth woven wool lining, processed by a thick waterproof TSUIRU earth, and on the high-heat, and loose arm, which was designed hole, back pleats are designed to give a pattern Good movement on the ground is not only soldiers, many of the pilots and flight jacket is preferred as it is known by the place. その一片の無駄も無いシンプルなデザイン、防寒ジャケットに求められる高い保温性、優れた機能性をあわせ持つ“タンカージャケット”の魅力は採用され60年が経過した現在においても些かも変わることが無い。 The piece has no waste of simple design, thermal jacket and asked to high heat, combined with superior functionality of the "tanker jacket," the appeal is adopted by 60-year-old is still些かwill not change.

vintageproductions

Here are some photos from their website

05_P3.jpg05_22.jpg05_P1_2.jpg05_P4.jpgTANKER_FR_1.jpg

Very interesting.

I will be in Japan this september, can you give an address for the store? Or it's only an on-line one?

vintageproductions

The store is in Osaka, near the OCAT terminal. When it gets closer to the time you are going please remind us and will get you all their contact info. There will also be a military show in Tokyo in mid-September.