the best tanker jacket repro

Sgt.MikeHorvath

Sgt.MikeHorvath

hi guys.. thumbsup.gif

i'm a new member of this forum

i'm searching a good quality tanker jacket repro in web...can you suggest me about some models of this jacket i can buy?

in your opinion what is,actually,the best repro?..the best faithful repro in circulation?

please help me---

thank you very very much guys ;)

PS:EXCUSEME FOR BAD ENGLISH....BUT I'M ITALIAN!!! :unsure:

There is no doubt on this one. The best repro tanker jacket is made by At The Front www.atthefront.com

They are good enough that after they've been worn a short while, they are virtually indistinguishable from originals.

Allan

Sgt.MikeHorvath

and what you can say me about SMWHOLESALE.COM?...is it true they are BAND OF BROTHERS and SAVING PRIVATE RYAN manifacturers as like as they affirm?

can you say me about their tanker jacket repro???..is it like that used in these movies??

There is no doubt on this one. The best repro tanker jacket is made by At The Front www.atthefront.com

They are good enough that after they've been worn a short while, they are virtually indistinguishable from originals.

Allan

I agree with Allen, I have an ATF tanker and at first I thought it was a little green. But, after a couple of trips in the washer (ATF says dryclean only think.gif ) it has a great look to it.

Aaron

Well,

I hate to burst a couple of peoples bubble but..At The Front's is for all those who are "khaki-wacky." Horvath, if you WANT THE BEST. You go to Juan at WWII Impressions. I've seen originals and compared his to them and his is spot on. Not to mention his material is properly dyed to fade like the originals. They were NOT khaki when they arrived to the soldiers. Their original color was more of a pea green. Not to ALSO mention he has the proper zippers on his Winter Combat Jackets.thumbsup.gif

I got mine from Juan and can't say enough about it but... ITS THE BEST OUT THERE....thumbsup.gif

Kind Regards,

FRISCAN

"khaki-wacky." I like that Jim. :lol: ATF's new run of jackets is pretty nice, they have the talon marked zipper on the correct side and do come in a pea green color. I am not sure how the stack up agains Juans, but for the price I think are pretty sweet. thumbsup.gif

Sgt.MikeHorvath

thank you guys thumbsup.gif

can you send me some photos of your repros please?

you know smwholesale.com??and lost battalions.com??....can you say me about their tanker repros???

Armed 2 tha Teeth

It all depends on who you talk to. I own a ATF and I'm happy with it, but I may tailor it so that it has a tighter fit. I have heard from a friend of mine who owns many original tanker jackets that the best reproductions are made by Buzz Rickson's. I saw one of these being worn at an event and they stick out because they fit much better than any other reproduction I've seen, but it should considering how much it costs.

Here's a link http://historypreservation.com/hpassociate....php?uniqnum=60

http://historypreservation.com/hpassociate...zrlanding_2.php

I own one of the ATF jackets and one of Juan’s, I have found that ATFs are a little one the khaki side but both are of good quality for the money. I have to say that Juans repro is closer in colour to my dads original.

I have never seen one from Buzz before but again I suppose its down to how much you want to spend.

Sgt.MikeHorvath

yes thank you all...i know repros about you say...i know buzz rickson's good tankers...

i ask you,considering exclusively QUALITY,what you chose between:

-SMWHOLESALE TANKER JACKET

-ATF TANKER JACKET

-LOST BATTALION TANKER JACKET

PS:you know real BAND OF BROTHERS and SAVING PRIVATE RYAN manifacturers???...is it true it's SMWHOLESALE??

THANK you thumbsup.gif

Johan Willaert
is it true it's SMWHOLESALE??

Yes, SM Wholesale makes repro stuff and some were used in SPR...

Sgt.MikeHorvath

thank you...so you think his repros are good quality items??

can you suggest me others brands who made tanker jackets?...i know ATF YET :lol:

YOU KNOW LOST BATTALIONS??WHAT CAN YOU SAY ME ABOUT THEME?

Sgt.MikeHorvath
I have one made by WWII Impressions and it is good enough to withstand really cold weather.

can you give me some photos about your repro please?and internale label and liner?

thank you very much ;)

Horvath, I pulled these pics right off of the ATF website.

I actually think they look way better in person.

Here ya go.

us_uni_tankeri_tag.jpg

us_uni_tankeri_main.jpg

Well,

I hate to burst a couple of peoples bubble but..At The Front's is for all those who are "khaki-wacky." Horvath, if you WANT THE BEST. You go to Juan at WWII Impressions. I've seen originals and compared his to them and his is spot on. Not to mention his material is properly dyed to fade like the originals. They were NOT khaki when they arrived to the soldiers. Their original color was more of a pea green. Not to ALSO mention he has the proper zippers on his Winter Combat Jackets.thumbsup.gif

I got mine from Juan and can't say enough about it but... ITS THE BEST OUT THERE....thumbsup.gif

Kind Regards,

FRISCAN

I have to concur on this one.

I bought some stuff from Jaun a few years ago(m1937 trousers and shirt)...beyond incredible quality. Picked up the same stuff from WPG...there was no comparison...WPG's stuff was light and off color...though the price was right.

ATF makes killer M1943 trousers and field jacket. My tanker came from SM wholesale and is priceless...it compares very closely to my original in all respects.

One thing though...ATF's web gear is the best you can find...I learned the hard way by cheaping out and ended up buying the good stuff anyhow.

SM Whiolesales boots are top flight as well...I have the double buckle boots that are indistinguisable from my mint originals, plus the are damned comfortable.

Cheers

Well,

Kind Regards,

FRISCAN

Hello - Good thread - Friscan, I'd like to know where you received your information about tanker jackets being pea green when they were issued? Has anyone here seen an unissued, dated Tanker Jacket? If not, then how does one know what color it was? I currently own five original jackets, or at least what I believe are original given that only one has a tag in it where the date is legible, the other is a rare 1st pattern jacket with patch pockets - at any rate, all of those jackets are a shade of brown with no hint of olive or pea green to them at all. Honestly, I fail to see how something that has large amounts of a greenish tint to it can fade with no trace of that color at all, unless the garmet had completely faded to almost white, which I have seen with some M41 field jackets. I have seen tanker jackets that appear to be unissued at various museums, including the Patton Museum, however without seeing the tags I cannot be 100% sure they are issue, but at any rate none have any trace of "pea green" color in them at all. Until someone can furnish me with a photo of a jacket they possess of an unissued WWII dated tanker jacket that is pea green in color I will refuse to be convinced that these jackets were that color originally.

I have owned ATF tankers, WWII Impressions tankers, as well as What Price Glory tankers, none of which to my mind represent the proper color, ie they are way too tilted toward the green or olive side of the color spectrum.

That being said, I believe the best reproduction tanker jacket for base color of the shell remains Buzz Rickson's version, albeit expensive and not perfect in lining and knits to be sure.

Thanks for reading, look forward to your responses -

Best regards,

Bill K.

Hello - Good thread - Friscan, I'd like to know where you received your information about tanker jackets being pea green when they were issued? Has anyone here seen an unissued, dated Tanker Jacket? If not, then how does one know what color it was? I currently own five original jackets, or at least what I believe are original given that only one has a tag in it where the date is legible, the other is a rare 1st pattern jacket with patch pockets - at any rate, all of those jackets are a shade of brown with no hint of olive or pea green to them at all. Honestly, I fail to see how something that has large amounts of a greenish tint to it can fade with no trace of that color at all, unless the garmet had completely faded to almost white, which I have seen with some M41 field jackets. I have seen tanker jackets that appear to be unissued at various museums, including the Patton Museum, however without seeing the tags I cannot be 100% sure they are issue, but at any rate none have any trace of "pea green" color in them at all. Until someone can furnish me with a photo of a jacket they possess of an unissued WWII dated tanker jacket that is pea green in color I will refuse to be convinced that these jackets were that color originally.

I have owned ATF tankers, WWII Impressions tankers, as well as What Price Glory tankers, none of which to my mind represent the proper color, ie they are way too tilted toward the green or olive side of the color spectrum.

That being said, I believe the best reproduction tanker jacket for base color of the shell remains Buzz Rickson's version, albeit expensive and not perfect in lining and knits to be sure.

Thanks for reading, look forward to your responses -

Best regards,

Bill K.

Well Bill, there was this little thing called color photography during World War II and its a good source of pictorial and color identification for certain garments if not AT issue shortly there after. thumbsup.gif:lol:

This is how we know that garments were not ONLY a pea green color BUT an OD #3 color aswell. Different colors of course coming from different manufactures as the most likely cause of that. This is WHY Buzz Rickson's is like ATF... "Khaki-wacky." The shell on Rickson's ain't even close. This why I say Juan has THE BEST!

Check em' out! The first three are the pea green shade for the Winter Combat Jacket and the last two are more the OD #3 shade.

Tanker1.jpg

Tanker3.jpg

Tanker4.jpg

Tanker2.jpg

Tanker5.jpg

Lastly though I find it kind of funny the Rickson's think its the only one with Conmar zippers on their Winter Combat Jackets. :lol: Juan's had Conmar zipper's on his jackets since before 2004.

Kind Regards,

FRISCAN

Well Bill, there was this little thing called color photography during World War II and its a good source of pictorial and color identification for certain garments if not AT issue shortly there after. thumbsup.gif:lol:

This is how we know that garments were not ONLY a pea green color BUT an OD #3 color aswell. Different colors of course coming from different manufactures as the most likely cause of that. This is WHY Buzz Rickson's is like ATF... "Khaki-wacky." The shell on Rickson's ain't even close. This why I say Juan has THE BEST!

Check em' out! The first three are the pea green shade for the Winter Combat Jacket and the last two are more the OD #3 shade.

Tanker1.jpg

Tanker3.jpg

Tanker4.jpg

Tanker2.jpg

Tanker5.jpg

Lastly though I find it kind of funny the Rickson's think its the only one with Conmar zippers on their Winter Combat Jackets. :lol: Juan's had Conmar zipper's on his jackets since before 2004.

Kind Regards,

FRISCAN

Thanks for the pics, like you I have them all as well. Honestly, if you can tell or see a pea green color or any dominant color at all in those photos you must have extra sensory color perception :) - I see absolutely nothing in those photos that would allow me to believe that those jackets have any pea green color in there at all. In photography colors are very difficult to discern, shadowing, different kinds of light, etc, not to mention 60 years ago. For example, I have owned two At The Front tanker jackets and the color looked absolutely nothing like what is shown in their photographs on the internet.

And, honestly, what is OD #3 exactly? It is a number associated with a color which is, like most colors, a mixture of colors - that color could be interpreted 50 different ways, so that means nothing. Second of all, have you actually seen WWII spec. sheets that actually designates tanker jackets as OD #3? - Again, not saying that in some small proportion there wasn't some pea green color added to the mix in coloring tanker jackets, but honestly the cloth sample Juan sent me was green pure and simple - I have owned original unissued M41 field jackets that were "OD #3" in color and were 50% or less green than the sample that Juan sent. He makes some incredible stuff, but I believe he is way off on his tanker jacket colors. His site is down right now, but I will link a photo when it comes back up from a customer wearing one of his tankers in Iraq - compare that color with those in the photos you sent and please tell me how something that green fades into what looks like more a khaki brown color to me?

Understand, I don't think Rickson's is the best out there either. But, again, compared to my five original jackets the color of Rickson's shell, after being washed some 30 or so times, looks 100% closer to the color of originals than anything by Juan or At The Front. That being said, honestly I don't think anyone reproduces a decent tanker which combines the correct details of color of shell, color and material of the liner, knit thickness and color, or fit. Each maker has elements of a good jacket, but none are close to 100% to my mind. When I wear a tanker, frankly, I wear an original. I have actually toyed with the idea of having my own made. Again, this is all based on the five original tankers I currently own, the five or more so I have owned over the years, and the several others I have access to through collector and WWII veteran friends.

Again, good thread! Thanks for responding -

Very best regards,

Bill K.

Sgt.MikeHorvath
I have to concur on this one.

I bought some stuff from Jaun a few years ago(m1937 trousers and shirt)...beyond incredible quality. Picked up the same stuff from WPG...there was no comparison...WPG's stuff was light and off color...though the price was right.

ATF makes killer M1943 trousers and field jacket. My tanker came from SM wholesale and is priceless...it compares very closely to my original in all respects.

One thing though...ATF's web gear is the best you can find...I learned the hard way by cheaping out and ended up buying the good stuff anyhow.

SM Whiolesales boots are top flight as well...I have the double buckle boots that are indistinguisable from my mint originals, plus the are damned comfortable.

Cheers

alonso isent you a message..can you answer to me please? ;)

bye

hi guys.. thumbsup.gif

i'm a new member of this forum

i'm searching a good quality tanker jacket repro in web...can you suggest me about some models of this jacket i can buy?

in your opinion what is,actually,the best repro?..the best faithful repro in circulation?

please help me---

thank you very very much guys ;)

PS:EXCUSEME FOR BAD ENGLISH....BUT I'M ITALIAN!!! :unsure:

SERGEANT MIKE HORVATH: Attached as scans are two examples of tanker jackets. w00t.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ( hhbooker2@yahoo.com ) See: http://www.diggerhistory.info & http://militarybadges.info

post-837-1204497639.jpg

post-837-1204497654.jpg

I will post pics of my repro tankers as soon as possible. I also have repro tanker overalls.