Some 'modern' survival gear......

Flightpath

Hi,

I've usually stuck to collecting WW2 survival gear but after an ex-USMC Harrier pilot sent me his flight jacket, two flight suits, patches and some other items I got the idea of getting a small 1980s/90s flight gear collection together........

The earlier SDU-5/E orange strobes have been around since the early 1960s, this one was made by ACR and is a very early S/N 48917.

This later/current FRS/MS2000M green strobe has an IR shield and slideing tube with a blue filter, it uses uses two standard AA batteries, it was made by FEDCAP REHAB SVCS. NY.

The aircrew survival knife is a nice conditioned Ontario, dated 10-76.

The AN PRC-90-2 was the last model of this type to be issued, it transmits and receives voice on 243.0 and 282.8, and beacon on 243.0, this one was made by OAI INC. in Hartshorne OK. It still works, a stickeron the side shows it was tested and warranted until 11-95. This unit came from a USMC F-18 pilot.

P1030034_zpsea9ab551.jpg

I've wanted a PRC-90 for many years but until the last couple of years they have been a prohibited item to export from the US, things have changed now and I finally have a nice one.

I'm guessing lots of folk have this kind of thing lying around, maybe it's time to show them off!?

cheers,

-John

The small PRC 90 radio is prohibited to send overseas? I guess it is only a someone "strange" rules... it is not a C4 or gun but only a radio...

I even got from a USA a penflare's two times, even one time the box was opened for inspection but customs and they arrived without any problems...

btw. nice stuff!

Cheers,

Jerry

The small PRC 90 radio is prohibited to send overseas? I guess it is only a someone "strange" rules... it is not a C4 or gun but only a radio...

I even got from a USA a penflare's two times, even one time the box was opened for inspection but customs and they arrived without any problems...

btw. nice stuff!

Cheers,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I think it had something to do with the PRC-90 and -2 being a transmitter and the frequencies it transmits on. I don't think they are prohibited now but some Ebay sellers don't send them O/S even though they do with other items they sell.

I have some new batteries for mine and an instruction book, tested it with both voice and beacon (for just a few seconds of course).

The 'new' strobe takes 2 x AA batteries.......... smartest thing done for the military I've seen in a long time!

Cheers,

-John

Hi Jerry,

I think it had something to do with the PRC-90 and -2 being a transmitter and the frequencies it transmits on. I don't think they are prohibited now but some Ebay sellers don't send them O/S even though they do with other items they sell.

I have some new batteries for mine and an instruction book, tested it with both voice and beacon (for just a few seconds of course).

The 'new' strobe takes 2 x AA batteries.......... smartest thing done for the military I've seen in a long time!

Cheers,

-John

For us in the military overseas there were all sorts of radio frequency use rules covered under the Status of Forces Agreement {SOFA}. When we began to get in our field radios we had to go through the base frequency monitor to be assigned unused frequencies that had been approved by the local gov't. Of course this was also a way to keep track of those who might not use proper radio procedure; ie, "Eaney, meaney, miney, mo. How do you read my radio?".

I'm going to guess the new SAR radios that use very discreet radio frequencies are in use now more than the old 243.0/282.8. I'm sure you know that your beacon on 243.0 will blast into any UHF radio that still automatically monitors that frequency which can be really annoying.

Nice set of gear.

Hi Jerry,

I don't think they are prohibited now but some Ebay sellers don't send them O/S even though they do with other items they sell.

Cheers,

-John

Hi John.

I think it is a clue:( but for good luck finaly You got one nice PRC-90:)

Take care,

Jerry

Hi rr01,

yes, the new types not only have a lot of frequencies that can be chosen from before a mission but they also have a transponder built into each radio.

cheers,

-John

I suspect the reason most won't ship overseas is ITAR. I will post a wiki link to it below. By name is refers to "Arms" but the reality is that it applies also to many non-weapons articles. I think sellers get very leery of running afoul of ITAR as there have been prosecutions for violation, albeit for big transactions typically. I do think ICE / Customs WILL seize or at least sit on some items too, if they come across them, but I am not 100%sure on that.

While most realize that most things eBay sellers refuse to ship overeas are not state secrets, I think eBay DOES police itself for certain items, and most certainly takes user "reports" on violations. I think even pretty mundane items fall under ITAR, like newer made helmets, at least to a degree. So while some eBay sellers may not have any earthly idea and may sell any not-so-old military gear to anyone anywhere, some are quite concsious of the restrictions. And as a result, they simply refuse to ship anything non-antique overseas at all.

THAT is what I suspect is the difficulty of getting some things sent to our international friends and fellow collectors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITAR

MW

On another note... I have had a couple PRC-90's over the years, and had in hand some of the older survival radios too.

Does anyone know what will happen if I throw a new battery in the thing and then turn it on to the beacon? I recall from my reading that when Vietnam aircrews would eject the beepers just filled certain radio freqs - "Guard" being one?? So what happens if I turn one on now? Do I get a squadron of Civil Air Patrol aircraft circling me, Air Force SAR helicopters, and satelittes re-tasked to find me?

I suspect most have heard the urban legend of the Boeing employees who steal a life raft from a new-build jet or assembly line, then take it rafting on a river, then get circled by rescue aircraft from the emergency beacon being activated when they inflated the raft... I guess I need to "Snopes" that story sometime and see if it is true!

MW

On another note... I have had a couple PRC-90's over the years, and had in hand some of the older survival radios too.

Does anyone know what will happen if I throw a new battery in the thing and then turn it on to the beacon? I recall from my reading that when Vietnam aircrews would eject the beepers just filled certain radio freqs - "Guard" being one?? So what happens if I turn one on now? Do I get a squadron of Civil Air Patrol aircraft circling me, Air Force SAR helicopters, and satelittes re-tasked to find me?

I suspect most have heard the urban legend of the Boeing employees who steal a life raft from a new-build jet or assembly line, then take it rafting on a river, then get circled by rescue aircraft from the emergency beacon being activated when they inflated the raft... I guess I need to "Snopes" that story sometime and see if it is true!

MW

The beacon would go out on UHF 243.0 only and would be picked by anyone monitoring this frequency. Nobody would show up unless you just left the beacon on for a verrry long period because it can often interfere with routine UHF radio traffic for those who constantly monitor 243 while using the other frequencies. Short durations get about as much attention as a car alarm.

SARSAT and COMPASS does still monitor that frequency. It makes a pass every 90 minutes and takes two cycles before it says something to someone. You leave it on for a long period and as rr said, you will get a visit. For awhile, hunters were buying these and taking them hunting and when they would get lost, activate them and get a free ride home, until the Coast Guard started called out frequently, and then they started getting charged big bucks for making false "911" calls.

Nothing more annoying that trying to fly with a beacon going off. A local surplus store many moons ago got ahold of a bunch of these and batteries and was selling them at a very cheap rate. Kids were buying them and going out to "play Soldier". That ended when the cops showed up and "explained" why he wasn't to sell the radios anymore.

As for ITAR, these radios may still apply and I don't think I would want to be the testbed for finding out, once something gets on the list, it rarely gets off. I wouldn't talk alot on this board or others about receiving ITAR restricted items such as this, NV, or new style body armor. It doesn't take much to google and find things on this board.

The battery for the PRC-90-2 is quite expensive so I bought two 6 volt BA-5372/U batteries and they work fine in this unit.

On some sites selling these batteries it says an export licence is required to sell them overseas, I think these are used in night vision and targeting laser systems of some kind, ITAR may get involved if a lot were found in the post. My two were sent by a friend via normal post and only cost $5.00 each.

These batteries have positive + on the flat end and negative - on the end with the bump, I'm guessing the equipment they are made for has some way of not putting the batteries in the wrong way around!

cheers,

-John