ATC wings ... Real or fake?

Kilroy56

Here is a set of ATC wings marked Whitehead & Hoag. I heard these badges were faked in the 80's. Your thoughts would be welcomed.

Thank you and enjoy the balance of your day.

Kilroy56

post-105887-0-76229400-1357224301.jpg

post-105887-0-42869600-1357224319.jpg

Kilroy,

Havng been, at one time, really into ATC wings, I would say that I always stayed away from WH ATC wings. It is my understanding that the 80's re-strikes were done off original dies, using the correct hardware, often on Whitehead and Hoag cards. The picture wings look to be mint , a real warning flag for me. The hinge also looks a little "light weight". I personally would pass on these, but that is just my opition.

paul

post-105887-0-56569100-1357236166.jpg

Kilroy,

Havng been, at one time, really into ATC wings, I would say that I always stayed away from WH ATC wings. It is my understanding that the 80's re-strikes were done off original dies, using the correct hardware, often on Whitehead and Hoag cards. The picture wings look to be mint , a real warning flag for me. The hinge also looks a little "light weight". I personally would pass on these, but that is just my opition.

paul

Thank you Paul. Your website is a reference for collectors. But I have just been said these wings were actually manufactured by Wright & Street...

Regards,

Kilroy

I would agree with Kilroy, I don' think this is a Whitehead and Hoag hallmark. I tried to find a good picture of the Wright & Street Inc hallmark and it isn't the same as this one. Maybe we can get a better close up?

From what I recall, the WH restrikes were made of a different metal. These look good to me, but I am pretty ignorant of the ATC stuff.

Patrick

Yes that doesn't look like a WH hallmark any way to get a better pic?

Here we are Gentlemen. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Kilroy

post-105887-0-33232000-1357292053.jpg

I have an Aerial Mail Pilot wing with the same hallmark.....I've always believed it was Whitehead & Hoag. I was never sure or the authenticity of the wing...

post-13070-0-26657600-1357309818.jpg

post-13070-0-38536200-1357309832.jpg

I have an Aerial Mail Pilot wing with the same hallmark.....I've always believed it was Whitehead & Hoag. I was never sure or the authenticity of the wing...

Hello,

That's the same hallmark for sure. As for the authenticity of both wings....

Best regards from West Brittany,

Kilroy.

• 4 weeks later...

I intended to follow up on this thread earlier, but it slipped my mind until today. Originally, I had some question as to who the hallmark was for; Whitehead and Hoag or Wright & Street. It seems that I was initially wrong, and the hallmark on this wing is actually the hallmark for Whitehead and Hoag Co. as can be seen on this vintage box top. Whitehead and Hoag also used another hallmark of a WH in a shield (the one I am more familiar with).

In my experience, the WH in a shield hallmark were on the (what I believe) reproduction ATC wings and not this more stylized hallmark.

post-1519-0-86418500-1359493615.jpg