Removing White Paint from Helmet

Theorywolf

Guys, I have a dificult decision to make. I just acquired an original ID'ed 29th division helmet. The helmet has a real bad-looking white paint that was dripped onto the helmet while the vet was painting his garage. It looks like a delicate job to remove. I do not want to remove any of the underlying green original paint. What do you suggest in terms of type of cloth and paint remover to use? Should I use a mild sander by hand? Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

Mke

Mike,

I wouldn't advise sanding. How big are the drips? If they are small and the Goof Off doesn't remove them, I may suggest picking at them very lightly with an Exacto knife. If they haven't adhered to the helmet paint there is a chance they may pop off. Try one first to see if it works. Good luck, Bob

Mike,

I wouldn't advise sanding. How big are the drips? If they are small and the Goof Off doesn't remove them, I may suggest picking at them very lightly with an Exacto knife. If they haven't adhered to the helmet paint there is a chance they may pop off. Try one first to see if it works. Good luck, Bob

I agree with Bob on this one. Either an Exacto knife or a watchmaker's screwdriver.

I used it ones with great success on a tiny spot of white paint on a German helmet. Although one has to keep in mind that the paint on a German helmet is smooth and much harder than on a US M1.

Sanding will definitely damage the original paint.

If it's the one wdphll had/has I would leave it alone. But if it's a different one show a pic! :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for sound advice! B24AT6, yes it is the helmet that Wade had. Why do you feel that I should leave as is for this particualr helmet?

Cheers,

Mike

Squad leader

Mike,

I completely understand your intention to remove the white paint but why don't you try to hide the stain with an helmet net and some pieces of burlap fabric.

Dan.

Thanks everyone for sound advice! B24AT6, yes it is the helmet that Wade had. Why do you feel that I should leave as is for this particualr helmet?

Cheers,

Mike

For this particular helmet I would leave the paint because of the provenance it comes with. As well as I remember Wade has pictures of the vet holding the helmet and in those pictures the paint is there. Though the paint isn't wartime original, it tells a story itself how the helmet made it to you, and helps establish the already rock solid provenance. Just my opinion.

But if you do decide to strip I would avoid abrasives and overly harsh chemicals because bare metal will look worse!

For this particular helmet I would leave the paint because of the provenance it comes with. As well as I remember Wade has pictures of the vet holding the helmet and in those pictures the paint is there. Though the paint isn't wartime original, it tells a story itself how the helmet made it to you, and helps establish the already rock solid provenance. Just my opinion.

But if you do decide to strip I would avoid abrasives and overly harsh chemicals because bare metal will look worse!

I think that you are totally correct about this helmet and I also think that Dan has a great suggestion, especially for display.

Thanks everyone!

Mike

Hey Mike, just came across this thread. I agree totally, leave the paint on! It is what it is and only cements the provenance when you have photos with matching paint drops. I tend to leave my helmets the way they are found even if somewhat rusted, etc,, unless there is a black widow spider or 2 hanging out in the webbing!

pat