1936 suspenders/belt question

cerick1450

Hi all

I recently picked up a set of 1936 suspenders and belt from a friend. He purchased them directly from a local vets family. The ususpenders are dated 1942 and the belt 1943. The question I have is that two of the ends of the suspenders are not finished with the brass end. They are in the same location on each leg of the suspenders. Seems odd that the exact smae two woeuld be cut off. Is this a munufacture variation, or a soldier modification?

thanks

Charlie

I have highlighted the questionable items with a red circle.

belt012_zpsc53b9ba1.jpg

belt006_zps5e0dc486.jpg

belt004_zpsd40915c0.jpg

belt001_zps0b3df1cc.jpg

TheGrayGhost

I would say it is a field modification. I don't see any reason why the manufacturer would have purposely left the ends off, so if it was not a modification, it had to have been a defect. If it was a defect, I can't see any reason why suspenders would have been issued in this condition, this is not a minor missed stitch, but a major defect. Since they have clearly been issued, I would say field modification.

I really doubt it. You can try measuring the web length to see if it is the same as the other side, just missing the tip. If shorter then it was cut for some unknown reason.

It probably just got past an inspector. As if it had been noticed they would have just clmaped on the tips.

Hi

They both appear to be the same length. Both of the unfinished ends are the top riveted (placed) belt. I see no signs of haveing a brass end, and the cut is very streight and consistant. Almost too good for field mod. I kinda assumed that it was a mistake..

Charlie

craig_pickrall

There wwas a rule regarding surplus that said it must be damaged or worn out to be sold as surplus. This rule is often over looked but occassionally you do see something that is deliberately damaged so it can be sold. I have seen stacks of canvas tarps and tents that were cut with a razor knife just so it could be sold. This may have been deliberate damage to make it sellable. You can replace the clips on the end. Just buy a trashed piece that has good clips. Carefully open and remove them and add them to the suspenders.

There used to be an ebay-seller who sold a range of replacement tips for US webbing. Try searching using various key-words.