ATF M41 Jackets

possum

Looking at getting one of these, but was wondering about the sizing. Got originals in 38R and they fit like gloves, but I've had lots of repros and the sizing has always been all over the place. The Sturm/Mil-Tec I currently wear is a 42 and fits about the same.

Basically, can I order the same size an original, or do I need to order up (or down) and by how much?

Thanks!

Poss

Hi Possum. I ordered one direct from ATF a couple of years ago. To be honest, it was slighty too big for me (it was a 44") , particularly in regard to the length of the sleeves, so I had them professionally shortened. That said, I know that since then they've introduced a "second generation" M41 so the fit might be improved now?

My advice? People almost always grow larger, not smaller. Also, one day you may want to wear a sweater and long underwear under it. Since the Army was know for two sizes "too big" and "too small" I would say bump up one size. A size larger will still fit you, but a size smaller will not.

To add to my previous comment, I must say I found Rollin Curtis (Mr ATF!) to be an ok guy to deal with! As you might know, he has a fearsome reputation and always tells it like it is (just read the website pages!) As I was in the UK I wanted to make sure I got the correct size...didn't want the hassle of transAtlantic returns! We exchanged several emails and he was very helpful...in his own inimitable way! In the event, I probably erred on the side of caution. Apart from the sleeves, I also needed to pull in the side adjustment tabs to get a snugger fit around the hips.

Jon- I got there most recent M41 from ATF- its replicates my originals exactly even down to the very slight wear on the 'cuffs that is starting to appear. I got a 44, because I'm a 44 and it fits okay. Order you usual correct size from ATF as I dont think you'll be disappointed. If you are I'll sort you out one of my MK5 Hawleys!!!

strawberry 9

I think on his website he says that everything runs a little bigger because you're going to be wearing layers under it. So a 38 will be slightly larger but you should still order the 38.

I'm a tall, skinny dude with long arms and my 40R from ATF is perfect. It's a hair larger than snug but like mentioned above, that's how it should be! :)

Well, thanks for all the comments. Seeing as I'm ordering this weekend and 38R's are out of stock, it look's like my decision's been made for me, and a 40R it is. Will let you all know what I think when it arrives!

Poss

I just spent the weekend in the Indiana snow doing a Battle of the Bulge event wearing a size 42 first run ATF M1941 and ATF wool gloves. I wear a 42 and had the wool shirt, t shirt and wooll sweater under it and didnt have much trouble with the cold. The fit was a bit snug with all the layers under it... but surprisingly I stayed warm. I hear the second run 41s are a bit heavier. depending on the amount you forsee wearing under it, I would go with Rollin's sizing advice.

Wayne