Beast w/cover VMSB-232

normaninvasion

normaninvasion

Here is a dress cover I just picked with the "beast" emblem. Quick story: I don't collect named stuff, won't kick it out of bed, but am more interested in headgear of the period 1914- to pre WW2. I saw this cover on ebay and was more interested in the ega. Thought the cover was a '27 pattern do to the shape, thin chin strap, and brim. Also had name on card stock inside. Did a little research, which I will list in following posts. Jeff

post-4253-0-74615300-1357138794.jpg

That's a beautiful emblem...these don't come along too often in dress

Would not be surprised if it was an emblem from his father or other relative. Not an uncommon practice

Hard to find this version in dress and with the majority of the plate remaining. You will often see them missing a lot of the color and corroded. A Depression era piece. I date these from the late 1920's to early 1930's. No silver or gold content, just cheaply plated.

Mike

normaninvasion

Short Bio: Lt.Col. Warren H Goodman USMCR

Bornin Brooklyn NY April14 1919. Received Ba from Brooklyn College and MA from Duke. Attended naval flight training 1941-42. Commissioned 2nd Lt. July 1942. Joined VMSB-232 in El Toro Feb. 1943 as it was receiving its first TBFs, reelisted as VMTB-232. He flew over 37 combat missions and served as squadron operations officer wgile based at Guadalcanal, Munda, and Bougainville in 1943-44. He received the DFC. Goodman was the first aviation historian of the Marine Corps at HQMC 1944-45. He wrote prolifically for The Gazette and is qouted in several Marine Corps aviation books as well as being the aviation editor for Time magazine 1945-47. Info copied from Marine Corps Aviation Asssociation 1955- 1996.

Also found that he had a Catapillar club cert and pin also receieved the Air Medal. His wartime era photo album is out there. Seems that there was an estate sale and his belongings are in the 4 corners.

If anyone has anymore info on Goodman it would be appreciated. Hope to display a model of the plane he flew related to the DFC. Jeff

normaninvasion

Brig and Mike, thank you for the comments. Getting back to the ega. I am assuming this was his commissioning cover, circa. 1942.Could ega be old stock or could this date this variation to the late 30s?

A crazy thought: Couldthis piece represent a 'package deal', cheap emblem and cover sold together for the budget conscious officer?

Was there a sterling version? Jeff

I believe there may have been a sterling version for officers, and that Gary (GLM), may have owned one, but I might be mistaking it for the H&H pattern which slightly resembles this.

I've owned two of these, and both have been unmarked... http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/96068-the-beast-officer-dress-cover-emblem/

There's no known collar pair that we're certain goes with it, at least not that has been discussed here. If it was made as a loner, then I doubt it would have been part of a commissioning set

teufelhunde.ret

J. I place this emblem in the era of WW2, at a time, which we were struggling with a depression & incursion into a globe war, when precious resources were diverted, and many respects, the manufacturing methods going into insignias witnessed a decline quality in favor of volume.

Attached you will see an a beast & store card I bought at a San Diego fleet store, going out of biz in the mid 70's. It has been affixed to the card since... whenever? Did Gemsco make the emblem... who knows for sure? Did someone make these for Gemsco during the war era, when Gemsco was preoccupied with their entire insignia line... who knows for sure? Did the owner of the Fleet Store place the emblem (made by who knows) on the Gemsco store card... who knows for sure? But the emblem and card is a clue, which may someday be unraveled.

My two cents...

post-376-1181059548.jpg

Brig and Mike, thank you for the comments. Getting back to the ega. I am assuming this was his commissioning cover, circa. 1942.Could ega be old stock or could this date this variation to the late 30s?

A crazy thought: Couldthis piece represent a 'package deal', cheap emblem and cover sold together for the budget conscious officer?

Was there a sterling version? Jeff

This piece could have easily spanned 20+ years (due to old stock and manufacturer variation). Some devices span 30-40 years of service with the only difference being materials. The method of fouling certainly says 1930's-1940's, however the 1937 NS Meyer and HH officer emblems display the WW1 and WW2 styles of anchor wrap, so nothing is hardfast. There is a matched collar set. (I've attached a photo of my set off of my website). The eagle's oversized chest, head, large feather "scales", and cheap plate construction are giveaways to the similarities. This style (hat and collar) does come marked "sterling" and "10k", I believe the earlier versions, or pre-depression.

Mike

post-22-0-28865000-1400019357.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
normaninvasion

Thought I would add some 'meat' to this. Goodman's DFC citation:

"For heroism and extraodinary achievement in aerial flight as pilot of a torpedo bomber in a Marine Torpedo Bombing Squadron operating against enemy Japanese forces in the South Pacific Area from Sept. 1943 to 11 Apr 1944. Aggressive and determined while carrying out fierce bombing raids on Japanese airfields at Kahili and Buka on 26 Sept and 27 Oct, respectively, Capt. Goodman obtained direct hits on two important antiaircraft guns to destroy both. Flying two sorties in the Monoitu Mission Area, Bougainville, on 31 Dec, he executed powerful dives on three bridges vital to enemy communications and placing his bombs with skilled precision, demolished two of the hostile structures and rendered the thrid useless.Striking boldly against a concentration of Japanese merchant ships in Rabaul Harbor on 17 Jan, he relentlessy pressed home a masthead bombing attack in the face of terrific aerial oppostion and devastating antiaircraft fire from both ship and shore batteries, scoring a near miss on an important cargo vessel to damage it severly. By his superb airmanship and zealous devotion to duty under the most difficult and dangerous combat conditions throughout these and numerous other vital missions, Capt. Goodman contributed essentially to the success of his squadron in inflicting serious losses upon enemy in this strategic area. His gallant conduct was in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service."