MK II "Pineapple" Grenade

ww2vault

Hi,

I recently bought this MKII grenade and would like to know everyone opinion on it. It has no markings on it anywhere and the word REX is not etched onto the side of the grenade, which would make it post-war, but what I think condemns the one I have is the blue spoon on it.

I know training grenades had blue spoons and a hole in the bottom but I hear they are post-war, is this true? If so, does anyone have a picture of a training grenade used during WWII? Thanks!

- Jeff

post-1090-1204288984.jpg

post-1090-1204289095.jpg

post-1090-1204289143.jpg

Modern cast repro body, and using post-war surplus parts for the fuse.

Sold in their thousands as collectibles on ebay and at surplus shops.

Sorry.

Cheers,

Glen.

Ive seen WWII training grenades that were solid cast iron [no movable parts]

and also some sky blue painted training / practice grenades

The M228 fuze is the type used on the M69 training grenades (practice M67s). You can see the groove at the outer bottom, on the inside, for the safety clip to slide into that also holds the spoon down if the pin is pulled accidentally. The spoon/safety lever is marked as a training type and should have M228 and a lot number on the top surface. The lot number typically begins with a letter code for the manufacturer (ex: MEI) and is followed by a two digit number (which usually is the year of manufacture) and a letter and more numbers. Most of the current training fuze bodies will also have a blue stripe across one side like someone run a marker along it; yours doesn't. As mentioned, these fuzes are on just about every grenade, regardless of the model or era, that is sold today in the surplus stores and ebay. Hopefully, at least you can date the spoon.