Local Auction Find - WWII 101st 501 PIR

Pops369

Found this Grouping at a local auction. Captian Altus McReynolds, A.S.No. 0-445798 of the 101st 501PIR. KIA on D-Day. This grouping includes the following.....

Jump Certificate from the 501st

FDR Letter

Newspaper articles

Purple Heart w/Certificate

Bronze Star w/Certificate

Silver Star w/Certificate

(All Medals have his name on the back)

Good Conduct Medal

American Defense Medal

American Campaign Medal

EAM Medal

Victory Medal

CIB

DUE

Expert Badge (Rifle and Carbine)

Sharpshooter Badge (Submachine Gun)

Yard photo of his group

Any help with gaining information would be greating appreciated. Thanks in advance for you help.

post-55842-0-08022600-1357099283.jpg

Very nice group, could you post close ups when you can? I was able to find this citation for the SS online.

Philip

Altus F. McReynolds

Awards and Citations

1. medals_silver_star_100x200.jpg
    Silver Star
    See more recipients of this award
    Awarded for actions during the World War II
    (UNCONFIRMED - Citation Needed): Altus F. McReynolds, United States Army, is reported to have been awarded the Silver Star under the below-listed General Orders for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against the enemy while serving with the 101st Airborne Division during World War II.
    General Orders: Headquarters, 101st Airborne Division, General Orders No. 21 (1944)
    Action Date: World War II
    Service: Army
    Division: 101st Airborne Division

Also found this from the auction zip listing:

McReynolds was a member of the "Band of Brothers" who courageously fought at the Battle of Normandy on D-Day, June 7, 1944, during WWII. It was here that Captain Altus F. McReynolds gave his life in a gallant and selfless act of valor. McReynolds, regimental adjutant, was placed in charge of 350 enemy prisoners just after their surrender. Intense military artillery by the enemy began to fall on the regimental command post, putting both the post's personnel and the prisoners' lives in jeopardy. Without hesitation or regard for his personal safety, McReynolds gallantly moved 350 prisoners across an enclosure. Immediately, this action led to an intense enemy artillery concentration, which would have created panic amongst the prisoners, as well as the opportunity for escape, had it not been for his display of coolness and aggression in keeping them moving. It was during this action that Captain Altus F. McReynolds was mortally wounded by a shell fragment. He died the next day, June 8, 1944, truly going out as a BRAVE and NOBLE hero!!! He was laid to rest at the Normandy American Cemetery in France!

I think you hit the first real major jaw dropper of the year. Congrats. I'm not savy on airborne material but this is just an amazingly historic group and tremendous reminder of what was accomplished and more importantly sacrificed along that stretch of rural region of France. My great uncle landed with the 325th Glider Infantry at Normandy. Thanks for sharing this amazing group.

Kevin got that right.Everything I had hit floor.Only things I find at auctions are Mule hanes and used tupperware.That is one Humdinger of a grouping.Congrats,Robert

Wow! What a group! Not sure what you paid, but it would probably pay for a pretty nice new vehicle! I sure wish my local auction houses had these kind of items!!

JD

This is the type of grouping that falls into the category of "dream" grouping.

An amazing find.

Captain McReynolds has to be one of the most selfless people after Jesus Christ to lay down his life down while trying to protect his enemy.

Who would I be if I had just a speck of this man's character in my life ?

An incredible man.

Thank you Captain and all those who were hurt by your passing.

Kurt Barickman

Great group! That 501 PIR Document with Howard "Jumpy" Johnson's signature is extremely rare.

Kurt