(The) SabreJet's anniversary!

Sabrejet

vostoktrading

Fortunately one of the old F-86D's has been saved and is now on display at the Aviation Museum on Ford Island in the middle of Pearl Harbor. This museum is a must for anyone visiting Hawaii.

Jon.

post-7885-0-65630200-1358021633.png

post-7885-0-56512100-1358021656_thumb.jpg

I am surprised that in this fine thread of Sabre Rattling, no one has brought up the LAST operational, US version the USN FJ-4 FURY. This was not meant as a first-line air-to-air machine, but rather a lower-altitude, ground-attack platform. I once spoke with a pilot who had flown these on active duty and he loved it. He had also trained on the earlier (more F-86-like) FJ-2 and FJ-3. Before leaving active duty, he was switched into Douglas Skyhawks (then the latest thing). He loved them too. In the USNR he flew Skyraiders mostly and got in "hotter" planes only on his two-week summer "camps".

I am surprised that in this fine thread of Sabre Rattling, no one has brought up the LAST operational, US version the USN FJ-4 FURY. This was not meant as a first-line air-to-air machine, but rather a lower-altitude, ground-attack platform. I once spoke with a pilot who had flown these on active duty and he loved it. He had also trained on the earlier (more F-86-like) FJ-2 and FJ-3. Before leaving active duty, he was switched into Douglas Skyhawks (then the latest thing). He loved them too. In the USNR he flew Skyraiders mostly and got in "hotter" planes only on his two-week summer "camps".

See post #23. Thanks, Al.

General Apathy

I was going through a box of my old toys and found this metal F-86, made by Mercury

Ian's going to like this little beauty, any idea what year this would have been made. ;)

ken

. :blink: spelling

Hi,

I remember the RAAF Sabres still around in the 1960s, my grandfather (ex-RAAF) worked at the CAC factory in Melbourne, each Christmas the children of the workers there had a great party there, while all the other kids were on their pony rides ect. I'd be in the hangars and factory looking at the old Sabres and new Mirages........ great times as a kid!

The RAAF CAC Sabre probably had the best performance and armament, the RR Avon engine (7,500lbf) had quite a bit more thrust than the J47 (5,910lbf) and the hard hitting twin 30mm Aden cannons longer range than the 20mm or .50 cals and the later Mks had Sindwinders.

The RAAF museum still has a lovely example flying...........

RAAFCACSabre_zps7a7deaea.jpg

Thanks for the great vids Sabrejet, I gusee you have seen this nice 4 Squadron RAF photo?

4sqnpic390_zpsfe7100f8.jpg

cheers,

-John

Thanks for that addition John! ;)

No worries mate.......... just have to spell Sidewinder correctly! :rolleyes:

Are there any of the RAF Sabres left in GB?

-John

No worries mate.......... just have to spell Sidewinder correctly! :rolleyes:

Are there any of the RAF Sabres left in GB?

-John

Just these that I'm aware of.

Airworthy

• F-86A G-SABR airworthy in United States Air Force markings as 48-0178.

On display

• 8 years later...