(The) SabreJet's anniversary!

Sabrejet

Interesting anecdotes...thanks John. A few years ago I had the thrill and pleasure of watching an F-86 "strut its stuff" in the skies over Duxford. It was in KW markings and a real "smoker" when the pilot hit the afterburner!

Which version was it that you saw? I'm asking as that only the interceptor versions D/K/L had AB (or reheat as you say there!). These models had the radome up over the intake. Normally AB eleminates or reduces the smoke. If it was and F86E/F maybe you just saw him move the throttle forward, which makes a darker trail. I'm not sure if there are any interceptor versions still flying. Anybody know?

Randy

Which version was it that you saw? I'm asking as that only the interceptor versions D/K/L had AB (or reheat as you say there!). These models had the radome up over the intake. Normally AB eleminates or reduces the smoke. If it was and F86E/F maybe you just saw him move the throttle forward, which makes a darker trail. I'm not sure if there are any interceptor versions still flying. Anybody know?

Randy

It was at "Flying Legends" a few years ago Randy. Can't recall exactly which type it was, other than it was marked KW style with yellow bands. She was a real smoker when the pilot hit the gas!

It was most likely an E or F with those markings. Smokiest thing I saw in 26 years working aircraft in the USAF was a B-52 mass launch. The end of runway area looked like nighttime!

Randy

I found this at an estate sale last weekend. It's brass and just over 5 inches long (for our UK members I don't what that is in kilometers...)

It almost looks like it could be a hood ornament.

1.jpg

There is a bolt loosely stuck in the bottom. It looks some sort of attachment broke off the bottom.

2.jpg

Inches is fine for me Bob....metric / schmetric! :o As you say, undoubtedly a hood ornament. It would have looked magnificent glinting in the sunlight on the hood of a finned and chromed 50s American classic!

Roy Lichtenstein's famous "WHAAM!", inspired by the F-86's MiG killing record in the skies over Korea! (I have a print of this picture on my wall at home!)

post-8022-0-99073600-1357386946.jpg

To echo Bob's post...more American automobile hood ornaments inspired by the jet-age. They don't make 'em like that any more! :(

post-8022-0-37783700-1357387500.jpg

post-8022-0-48610800-1357387510.jpg

post-8022-0-49868900-1357387521.jpg

With all due respect to the USAF F-86, being a Navy guy, I herewith submit the aircraft carrier based, folding wing US Navy FJ-2 Fury. Thanks, Al.

Thanks for the timely reminder Al! I got close up and personal with one of these below decks on the USS Intrepid in NYC.

I found this at an estate sale last weekend. It's brass and just over 5 inches long (for our UK members I don't what that is in kilometers...)

It almost looks like it could be a hood ornament.

post-2-0-64848600-1357367599_thumb.jpg

There is a bolt loosely stuck in the bottom. It looks some sort of attachment broke off the bottom.

post-2-0-19931700-1357367854_thumb.jpg

I think these were factory give outs that came attached to an ashtray or something. I KNOW I've seen it before, just can't remember where...

Randy

F-86 is a flying legend and one of the most beautiful jet ever built. The purest design of all liked 50s jets for me...

Happy Birthday, Ian.

Franck

post-5589-0-23410500-1403623334.jpg

In the late 1940s and early 1950s, "Jet" and "Atomic" were very big words in advertising and naming products/businesses. At a show decades ago I ran into guy who was an advanced collector -- of "various things, including military recruiting posters and anything to do with segregation. He had a display of "Jet" and "Atomic" products -- laundry soap, candy, breakfast cereal, bicycles, toy guns, board games, comic books, paperback novels, as well as ephemera, menus and placemats from restaurants and bars, car washes, junk yards, etc. You name it and those were the super-cool monickers. He said these things went off into the sunset once jets took losses in Korea (they were not invulnerable after all) and teh dangers of radiation poisoning (as from A-bomb testing in the atmosphere) became known.

F-86 is a flying legend and one of the most beautiful jet ever built. The purest design of all liked 50s jets for me...

Happy Birthday, Ian.

Franck

Merci beaucoup Franck! ;)

Happy Birthday Saber jet!

Might that be the F-86D? What a God-awful way to destroy the beautiful lines of a classic aircraft.

Happy Belated Birthday Sabrejet!! Al.

post-12790-0-52533500-1357768359_thumb.jpg

post-12790-0-16465000-1357768370_thumb.jpg

Squad leader

Might that be the F-86D? What a God-awful way to destroy the beautiful lines of a classic aircraft.

Happy Belated Birthday Sabrejet!! Al.

That's not the F-86D. This is the F-86E-6-CAN 52-2852 "Darling Dottie" of the 39th FIS / 51st FIW flown by John F. Bolt (USMC).

(During WWII, John F. Bolt was a pilot in VMF-214 best known as the Black sheeps.)

Dan.

post-1681-0-45139000-1357770421_thumb.jpg

vostoktrading

The F-86D (Dog Sabre) was much less attractive with that ugly nose.

I do like it though. The Hawaii Air National Guard used these aircraft for a time.

post-7885-0-79194800-1357969427_thumb.jpg