Unidentified EM's garrison cap cords. Any ideas?

Sabrejet

Regular forum-ers will know that (among other things) I collect garrison caps. I recently acquired two more via a fellow member (thanks Chuck!) I thought I was getting a dark blue/scarlet EM's Adjutant Generals' Corps cap, but it is in fact black and scarlet! There is no official WW2 colour combination which matches that. However, the WW1 era Ordnance Corps campaign hat cord was black/red but by WW2 it was officially scarlet/yellow! Actually, I did find reference to a similarly piped WW2 cap elsewhere on the forum, but it was inconclusive. Could this black/scarlet piping simply be just a throwback to the original Ordnance colours?

The next one comes right out of left field! It's a '48 dated USGI khaki cap in near mint condition named to the same guy as the former. However, as you can see from the accompanying pictures, the dual colour cap cord is what I'd call " purple/cerise". There is no recorded colour combination that I am aware of which matches that! There is no fading or discolouration...the colours are precisely as you see them. So...any suggestions gentlemen?

post-8022-0-50822700-1357054009.jpg

post-8022-0-82503900-1357054017.jpg

I can think of two things:

1, It is quite possible it was a dye problem, and some of the pigments just vanished with time. This can happen even if not exposed to light, and if so they would fade evenly, even on the back.

2, They are school colors made up for a military school type thing.

I suppose it's possible that the dark blue of the AG cord could have "mutated" to black? If you compare it with the illustrations here, the pattern looks identical. But.... the purple/cerise?! :o

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1261-branch-colors-cap-piping-color-reference/

On that first cap Ian, I would say that Navy Blue thread has been used, we all know how similar Navy is to Black. The other?

Kevin...in bright, natural daylight and under a glass it's most definitely black!

Kevin...in bright, natural daylight and under a glass it's most definitely black!

HMM.. you got me then my friend, the only possible explaination would be an error on the part of the seamster/seamtress in using Black instead of Dark Blue thread.

I don't think so Kevin. It's not a one-off. Another member posted an identical one and raised the same question some time ago. If I can find the link I'll post it.

I don't think so Kevin. It's not a one-off. Another member posted an identical one and raised the same question some time ago. If I can find the link I'll post it.

Very good sir, I'd like to see that older topic, I''m real curious on this piping.

Sorry Ian, didn' t mean to screw you up. Now you know why I sent that second cap. I could' t figure them out either. Chuck

Sorry Ian, didn' t mean to screw you up. Now you know why I sent that second cap. I could' t figure them out either. Chuck

Chuck...you didn't "screw me up" at all! I'm intrigued...I like a challenge! ;)

There was an old military school here in central NY, Manlius Military School.There colors were black & red.So school color sounds pretty logical.

Well the only thing I would say is both of those caps have the usual Letter and last 4 numbers of his ID number. The same as you'd see in any military cap. Anythings possible but two complletely different cords to the same guy, like he was transfer from one unit to another.

Chuck

Adjutant General's Corps Dark Blue Scarlet 1936 abcadjgen1.jpg.

Found this on the net.Look's like yours.

Thanks....but the image doesn't copy!? :o