WW2 re-enactor cartoons and other drawings...

willysmb44

• 2 months later...
willysmb44

The newest one will hit the stands any day now.
Sometimes, I get a theme for a new cartoon requested by the editor. Often, I already had my own wacky ideas and I get stumped at something funny on the idea presented. This was one of those times. I was asked for a cartoon on the RAF and/or the "Dambusters" raid. While I'm aware of it and had good reference materials on RAF uniforms, I couldn't think of a thing that was funny to me about re-enactors and a Lancaster blowing up a hydroelectric dam that didn't smack of terrorism. At the last minute I made it as British as I could, with the substitution of my original idea of a beach ball (do they even take beach balls to the beach in England? I have no idea!) and you can't get any more British than the name "Nigel," I reasoned. My apologies to all... :pinch:

post-96964-0-37085800-1521730089_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

This is another based on a request by the editor. Sometimes, something clicks right away. This time they wanted a cartoon about Normandy. Considering how many people are into US Airborne, I got to wondering if anyone would even know a good ground-pounder beach impression if they saw it. Even if I have never seen this happen, I'm willing to bet it has.

post-96964-0-38105900-1521730183_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I just checked the magazine’s website and found out they appear to have ceased publication. The letter on the home page is very vague but they appear to be done, all right. I didn’t get an e-mail at all, I checked their website and there is only a letter from the editor I deal with: http://www.reenactingww2.co.uk/ I now realize I was warned that it was coming, as when I asked the editor when the issue for the last cartoon I drew for him would run, he said it’d be a delayed print run on it which sounded odd at the time. I didn’t get it then but I think he was trying to figure things out at that point. Dang it, I was just getting really good at these cartoons! The last one that got printed was the fastest cartoon I ever did. I rarely got advanced warnings on deadlines and when I e-mailed the editor, I was told he needed a finished product the following day. I only had blank paper and no concept! I went from blank paper and equally blank mind to finished product in less than three hours. And frankly, it probably shows. The irony is that the following issue (I guess that will never be printed now) had what I think was the best cartoon I ever did for them in regards to design and execution. I think it was kind of funny, too. I’ll need to make sure it’s not going to be printed and as soon as I confirm that, I will be posting it. But not before, as you just never know about these things, they might get it running again for all I really know…

Here's the most recent one that was published. I still have one more that I did. As soon as I know it won't run for certain, I'll post it here because I love how that one turned out.

This is based on a shot a model wanted to take with me at an airshow for her modeling portfolio. I declined because I haven't been decent looking in years (if ever) and also didn't want to incur the wrath of my long-suffering wife if she ever saw the photo. I'm glad I declined, as she practically climbed up the side of the guy she took the photo with. Before I was married, I'd have of course welcomed that, but I love my wife too much...
The editor rarely gave me deadlines and often I'd get word he needed a cartoon only a few days out. This one I got the word less than 24 hours out! This went from blank paper and no ideas to the above cartoon is less than 3 hours. Sadly, it shows. :think:

post-96964-0-93616100-1521730258_thumb.jpg

The magazine is done for sure. I'm depressed about no longer being probably the only accredited WW2 war correspondent in the hobby, but prety ticked as I never got a copy of the last issue that did get printed, paid for the previous two cartoons, and that the edtor now won't return any e-mails. I know the man has has own problems more than dealing with me. Still, the ending of this experience has left a very bad aftertaste. I never charged much for these cartoons because it was worth taking a hit of what I would normally charge for them, in return for how it looked on paper (so to the speak) to say I was honestly a cartoonist for an international magazine.

So, here it is, the final "Rear Echelon" cartoon for WW2 re-enactor magazine:

I'd had this idea for a very long time from a discussion I'd had many years ago while freezking my backside off at Indiantown Gap one year.
I hope you have enjoyed them, I just wish this wasn't the end. I really can't see getting another venue to regularly publish them.

post-96964-0-52060900-1521730358_thumb.jpg

Here's the most recent one that was published. I still have one more that I did. As soon as I know it won't run for certain, I'll post it here because I love how that one turned out.

This is based on a shot a model wanted to take with me at an airshow for her modeling portfolio. I declined because I haven't been decent looking in years (if ever) and also didn't want to incur the wrath of my long-suffering wife if she ever saw the photo. I'm glad I declined, as she practically climbed up the side of the guy she took the photo with. Before I was married, I'd have of course welcomed that, but I love my wife too much...
The editor rarely gave me deadlines and often I'd get word he needed a cartoon only a few days out. This one I got the word less than 24 hours out! This went from blank paper and no ideas to the above cartoon is less than 3 hours. Sadly, it shows. :think:

This one is spot on for me a couple of times. Very well done work sir. Too bad it ended this way.

• 2 weeks later...

Two updates:

• The magazine might not be dead, I've heard rumors that a funding source has been found, but I haven't heard anything from the editor at all. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
  • And I've decided to finally proceed with a book of my work. No details yet, but I'm culling through my work to see what to include, I'm already pondering a title and thinking of what new work I want to create to make a good cover.

• 1 month later...
canadian bacon

The magazine is done for sure. I'm depressed about no longer being probably the only accredited WW2 war correspondent in the hobby, but prety ticked as I never got a copy of the last issue that did get printed, paid for the previous two cartoons, and that the edtor now won't return any e-mails. I know the man has has own problems more than dealing with me. Still, the ending of this experience has left a very bad aftertaste. I never charged much for these cartoons because it was worth taking a hit of what I would normally charge for them, in return for how it looked on paper (so to the speak) to say I was honestly a cartoonist for an international magazine.

So, here it is, the final "Rear Echelon" cartoon for WW2 re-enactor magazine:

I'd had this idea for a very long time from a discussion I'd had many years ago while freezking my backside off at Indiantown Gap one year.
I hope you have enjoyed them, I just wish this wasn't the end. I really can't see getting another venue to regularly publish them.

Oh man that one cracked me up. These are all great thanks for sharing
cheers michael