M3 M3A1 Grease Guns in Vietnam

SergeantMajorGray

So I think the original question of this post has been answered, Yes, Grease guns were used in Nam, used a lot and was in use as a tanker weapon till it was officially decommissioned in 1999.  55 years of service!   For the "It shoots too slow" guys that have never fired one vs something like a MP5, which shoots too fast, it is not too slow, it is HEAVY, but it is accurate and very easy to control. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, easterneagle87 said:

Image captured off of FB. Aviator with Grease gun and 82nd SSI

Vn greaSE GUN.jpg

Company A, 82nd Aviation Battalion 3rd Brigade 82nd Airborne Division no doubt.

Salvage Sailor
38 minutes ago, Rhscott said:

Never saw one issued much less shot.  Would have liked to try one out.

Same same, no grease guns in our armory, but we did have Thompsons...

• 3 months later...
easterneagle87

Here's a pretty cool pic off of a Vietnam FB page. Pretty interesting group of weapons. A Bowie, a Grease Gun and a cut down M-1 Carbine. How hard would it have been to keep supplied with Carbine ammo? I know it was used a lot by Vietnamese forces through out the war, especially in the early years.  

NAm Grease Carbine.jpg

triplecanopy

For the "It shoots too slow" guys that have never fired one vs something like a MP5, which shoots too fast, it is not too slow, it is HEAVY, but it is accurate and very easy to control. 

The rate of fire for the M3 Grease Gun was 80 to 100 rounds per minute. Compare that to either the AK-47 which fired at 650 RPM or the M-16 which fired at 800 RPM, I'd say the M3 was a solid but heavy weapon that fired a bit slower than most weapons used at the time. BTW, that's me in post # 93 and I have put many thousands of rounds thru a grease gun.

post-34986-0-89588100-1503717301.jpg