M3 M3A1 Grease Guns in Vietnam

SergeantMajorGray

On 12/12/2019 at 4:42 PM, triplecanopy said:

REF: L Co Ranger Photos in post #94

Those photos were taken at Camp Eagle near Hue in April 1971. We were conducting a familarization class with captured NVA/VC weapons and of course those included a few older US weapons. None of our guys ever carried either the M3 or M3A1 on a patrol. We also had a few Thompsons and fired them out there in Bravo sector as well. The only guys I encountered who liked the M3 Grease Gun in our area (Northern I Corps) were a few of the helicopter pilots. Those things are heavy, slow firing and short range. Helicopter pilots who normally were armed only with a revolver liked them and kept them handy in case of emergencies. They didn't have to hump them. BTW, we fired everything we could get ammo for including the AK's, RPD's, DSHK 12.7mm, SGM, RPG's and many other captured weapons. Since this is US only I won't go on... RLTW!

Roger, and thanks for the first hand info.

I saw one in Chu Lai in 1971. I think it belonged to one of the crew on the gun truck “Hallucination” but I’am not sure on that. A few of guys in my squad were looking it over. Never carried or fired one but I really like the look. Mike

• 4 weeks later...

back in the 80's we had a couple in the arms vault that were assigned to the maintenance crew, I was full time at the armory when we used a North Dakota Air Base for M-16 weapons qualification. Long story short in conversation the grease guns were mentioned and they said they would provide the ammo if we brought them along for them to shoot. So after qualification we brought them out and had some fun with there range personal. Another full auto of my to shoot bucket list

• 11 months later...

Green Berets again, in 1963, a Sergeant E-5 carrying one, just now noticing that the man ahead with back to camera may be carrying the paratrooper M1A1 Carbine, with a Grenade Launcher on it.

grease.jpg

• 3 months later...

One more find, year and unit unknown, probably a man of one of the divisional armored cavalry squadrons in the 69-71 time frame.

Milee (Hermance) Dillinger,.jpg

3 hours ago, patches said:

One more find, year and unit unknown, probably a man of one of the divisional armored cavalry squadrons in the 69-71 time frame.

LOL Wow I blew that one, how did I do that, post the totally wrong photo LOL

Here's the guy.

greasee.jpg

• 9 months later...

A M3 being carried by a Platoon Leader or another officer like a Staff Officer perhaps, as we see his holster for a Pistol, a 45 Pistol that's drawn. One of the battalions of the 60th Infantry 9th Infantry Division, 1968.

efdf3a454c0fb244f52615a26d8b1236.jpg

6 hours ago, patches said:

More of Marines carry the Greaser. various dates in 1968.

m33.jpg

Guy on the right is showing this very pic to his buddies on his smartphone... #Inception #TimeTraveller 😆

WWIIBuff1945

Grease gun in back of Huey. Photo taken by Roy Snisko who was a member of the 361st Aerial Weapons Company the "Pink Panthers" Sorry I don't know why the picture is coming in sideways.

img496.jpg.f408b7b5b7ec3827dbb9de527aa3a79d.jpg

11 hours ago, WWIIBuff1945 said:

Grease gun in back of Huey. Photo taken by Roy Snisko who was a member of the 361st Aerial Weapons Company the "Pink Panthers" Sorry I don't know why the picture is coming in sideways.

3 hours ago, iron bender said:

Here's a pic of my dad in 1968 as a platoon leader of B/17inf (mech)

IMG_5310.jpg

South Korea, great photo, he was in either the 1st or 2nd battalions of the 17th Infantry.

The Rooster

My Guard unit, (Infantry) still had some M3's in the Armory in the mid 1990's.

I never saw them issued but I did see them once in a while when they were taken out and cleaned oiled for maintenance.

• 3 weeks later...
Charlie Flick

I have always thought that this was a very interesting thread, so when I saw an old thread elsewhere on the Forum with an M3A1 I thought I would re-post the image here.  This was from a thread by member ETN located here:  

According to ETN this image was "...published in The Eyewitness History of the Vietnam War 1961-1975 by George Esper. From what I can gather from the article it was taken in December of 1961 which would mean that it was from the time when the CIA was involved in the CIDG program before operation switchback."  Further info is given in the thread concerning the CISO mag pouch carrier.

Regards,

Charlie

M3 in Viet Nam Dec 1961 credit ETN.jpg

Wondering if anyone knows the source of this photo or what book it's from?

On 1/19/2013 at 1:10 PM, doughboy said:

Hi,

I found another interesting picture.OK,not a Grease Gun but German MP40`s and US Carbines with folding stock.

doughboy

post-15200-0-14078200-1358618983_thumb.jpg

post-15200-0-58546300-1358618994_thumb.jpg

post-15200-0-32793100-1358619002_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
LE LOUP DES MERS

Did helicopter pilots ever carry grease guns in the cockpit with them? I know some pilots carried Thompsons but wondering if grease guns were ever carried by pilots. 

19 hours ago, LE LOUP DES MERS said:

Did helicopter pilots ever carry grease guns in the cockpit with them? I know some pilots carried Thompsons but wondering if grease guns were ever carried by pilots. 

Yes, see a couple of the previous posts on helicopters.