What kind of WWI era patch is this? Theater made(?) 29th division.

Dr_rambow

Well, it's not a liberty loan and it obviously isn't wool, so where do you think it came from?

Hopefully this patch (and the uniform it's attached to) will be mine once a trade goes through. :)

IMG_0417.jpg

T

in a sense most of the WW1 patches are theatre made as the boys got them overseas and were more or less worn late,occupation or on the trip home.Im guessing its made in germany.Just a guess no solid information I can pass on.

Patchcollector

I'm thinking French made,I have a patch with similar stitching from a different unit that is French made.The disk it is embroidered to looks like wool to me.

T

in a sense most of the WW1 patches are theatre made as the boys got them overseas and were more or less worn late,occupation or on the trip home.Im guessing its made in germany.Just a guess no solid information I can pass on.

I did not know that,So the Liberty Loan patches are the only U.S. made patches?

name='firefighter' timestamp='1356924301' post='1242087']

I did not know that,So the Liberty Loan patches are the only U.S. made patches?[/u]

Sorry

I didnt mean to sound so general in my reply.There are several examples of other US made patches.Many of the units that didnt go over also had patches.I have one on a real ratty uniform that is an odd ball and I will have to look at it and the items that were with it when purchased at a local auction as I dont recall the unit but I know it was a variation of the accepted insignia and the unit was never overseas as I recall.Also I recall in the book Shoulder sleeve Insignia of the AEF 1917-1919 (Morgan and Warren) they mention the patches/sleeve insignias coming into being the summer of 1918.Also they write about the 81st Division when embarking to France at Hoboken New Jersey were reported by the Commanding General there (of the Port of Embarkation) to be wearing a Wildcat on the left sleeve of the uniform..This also brings up the use of or wearing of the Port of Embarkation patches,ROTC etc so there were other US made patches in my opinion.THis area is often hard to determine origin or manufacture of the patch as so many manufacturing types can be encountered...embroidered,Applied,combination of embroidered with applied details,bullion etc.Also the liberty loans you have mentioned.I recall a good thread on the liberty loans here on the forum.

Doyler.Thank you for the info.

FF

Hope this is of help.The uniform/patch I mentioned was the 19th Division.I was thinking it was but wanted to confirm it.THis uniform pictured was purchased from the estate sale by my late father.Some how I ended up with it either from his auction or in a trade.Anyway this is the patch I mentioned and with the notes he made on the uniform it has to be a US made patch.Im not sure if it was done at Camp Dodge or by whom.Probably never know.THe uniform is as found.There is infantry branch collar disc with a plain US on the collar.

Todd

Nice 29th LL patch and thanks for letting me pile on the thread :lol:

RD

post-342-0-67152900-1356976954_thumb.jpg

vintageproductions

Okay, here is my take. That patch is not made overseas, it is a standard US embroidered 29th division patch, probably made in the early 1920's.

Todd

Nice 29th LL patch and thanks for letting me pile on the thread :lol:

RD

Anytime ;)

The forum is for discussion, and I always love an opportunity to learn something!

Okay, here is my take. That patch is not made overseas, it is a standard US embroidered 29th division patch, probably made in the early 1920's.

I was having a hard time finding examples of this particular patch, but did think about that possibility after the fact. Is there a good reference on stitching style somewhere?