11th Armored vets WW2 Zippo ...Well traveled.

doyler

About 10 years ago I aquired a fairly large group to a 11th Armored vet who was a dentist both during and after the war.THere were all types of smalls including his personal Zippo lighter.He engraved all of the places he visited on the surface(s) of the lighter body.Beings its December and I have a small fascination with the Battle of the Bulge I wanted to post these items.

post-342-0-35559100-1356847292_thumb.jpg

I recall he served with CCB.He also was very active in the reunions.Also kept a lot of paper items and had a ton of german souvieners which he sold over the years.Many items he had on display at one time in his dentist office after the war.

post-342-0-65469400-1356849030.jpg

Very cool Ron! What a nice little collection! I too have a little fixation/fascination with the Ardennes and the Battle of the Bulge so I really like this stuff!

Thanks for posting it!

Rick

My grandfather also served in the 11th Armored Division. I have a few items he brought back as well. I'd say that one of the most interesting pieces - which I was only recently made aware of - reminds me of this lighter. It is a French/Belgian pocket watch. If you don't mind me hijacking your thread, I'd post a few of the photos of it. It is also engraved and directly related to the Battle of the Bulge.

My grandfather also served in the 11th Armored Division. I have a few items he brought back as well. I'd say that one of the most interesting pieces - which I was only recently made aware of - reminds me of this lighter. It is a French/Belgian pocket watch. If you don't mind me hijacking your thread, I'd post a few of the photos of it. It is also engraved and directly related to the Battle of the Bulge.

Thanks Rick,Erwin and Joe for the comments and looking.Glad you all have enjoyed a few of his things

Joe,

Feel free to Post away and share anything you would like to add.The more the better B)

I have pretty much all of his clothing,some webb gear,medics armband,campaign hat(s),manuals he kept,insignias,photos,tons of news papers,unit history,german blanket,german medic pouch,photos he mounted in frames,even his well worn and 11th patched tanker jacket and winter bibs(2 pr).He was a graduate of the University in the mid 1930s.Appears he was in the National Guard pre war.Just wondered what happned to his helmet(many pics show painted medics helmets) as he kept everything and was quite a souviener hunter.Some time I will try to post more.

Ron et al.,

The story - which has seemed to change a bit over the years - is that my grandfather was given this watch by a German soldier whom he treated as a medic during Dec. 1944/Jan. 1945. I cannot confirm if this is true. It could also be just a "souvenir" acquired while he was in Bastogne. While he did share a great deal of items and information with me before he passed in 1999, the pocket watch was never discussed and the speculative stories originate only from my father and grandmother.

Until I got my hands on it, no one knew that there was an inscription on the inside of the watch case. As you will see in the second photo, the watch was engraved with my grandfather's name (John J. Capasso, the same as mine), ASN, and - the real treasure - Bastogne, Belgium and Jan. 1945... evidence that this probably wasn't a souvenir piece picked up during occupation duty. Enjoy.

-John

post-9280-0-86887600-1356918842_thumb.jpg

A jeweler told my father in the 1970s that he estimated that it was 70-80 years old. I do not know if this true, but I would guess that it is, at least, from the 1900s-1910s. The sentimental value as well as the value to a militaria collector is probably much greater than the value to a watch collector. I have found other pocket watches of this design and style in working condition for under $50. Apparently, they were cheap and intended for the working/lower-class.

At any rate... Apologies for hijacking the thread. Thanks for allowing it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy looking at the above Zippo.

-John

John

Is the watch face a porcelin or painted metal?

I had a pocket watch case that was some type of a keep sake.It had the time piece removed and a picture of an SS man in uniform placed in the glass.In the body of the case there was a swatch of hair.Figured it was a rememberance kept by a wife or parent.I ended up letting a friend have it.

I am far from a watch expert, but it looks significantly different from an old Elgin pocket watch which I inherited. I would have to assume that the face is painted metal, not porcelain. I will look closer to try to figure it out.

• 2 years later...

Nice stuff Ron,

I have a officers 2nd Armor DIV items too, he was in the Battle of the Bulge froze his feet but didn't lose them so every year he becomes a snow bird cause he can't take the cold!

Thanks Craig..

This guy brought home a lot of german items.He use to display the daggers and bayonets,gear in his office.His grandson has a few items but over all he sold a lot of stuff answering an add in a VFW magazine.Seems he wouldnt sell locally.I would just cringe when he told me he was getting a $100 for a flag the buyer called 'SS" and the armbands he sold for $20 and less.I made nice cash offers but he wouldnt sell locally or give me a chance