Who am I to say its incorrect!

tarbridge

This was my Friends WWII uniform and this is how they were issued their 82 Div patches to them in Italy.It has the Black/Gold Italian mfg.airborne tab.I could never convince him that it was incorrect.Who was I to argue with a 3 combat jump Veteran.He was Hqts.Co.,1st Bn, 504th PIR.

20121228_163118_resized (375x500).jpg

Robert

Great example of a uniform that dont fit the mold collectors put them in.

I posted a 325th glider ike a while back and the vet had used a blue and white tab over his 101st patch when worn on his left sleeve.Recently his daughter contacted me through the fourum saying she was glad to see the uniform as she had always remembered it.Im waiting for her reply of more info she has avaiable.

I recently picked up a RED Ball express patched ike.It has two sets of collar discs,double US and double QM.Wish it were ID'd but its right as rain ;)

Having achieved the rank of "top sergeant" gives him great leeway on whatever color airborne tab he wishes to adorn his own Ike...

Nice example Robert...thanks for posting!

Russ

Patchcollector

Sometimes things just are'nt what everyone thinks they should be ;) The only true rule is that there are always exceptions to the rule :)

I have a tiger stripe shirt named to a well known SF NCO in Vietnam. US para wings are novice set and LLDB are senior. The active duty SSI is the 82nd Abn and the combat patch is SF. Total mystery.

Unfortuntely the man passed away many years ago. I've found his cousin online. At first he was eager to help me with my research but he stopped getting back at me when I refused to sell him his cousin's shirt.

Very nice. it has always been my feeling that in a combat zone just about anything could happen regarding uniform regulations. so much depended on availability and local command preferences. when I firsrt starting collecting 25 years ago or so my feeling was if the ribbon rack was too perfect as far as precedent I was suspicious. the majority of the time ribbons were out of order due to the lack of understanding or concern by the vet who was putting them on his uniform. For many vets the first time they applied their ribbons was just before they came home. Which order things were in was secondary to coming home. I digressed a bit here, great looking uniform.

Keep in mind the uniform jackets we see, and scarf up for collections, are what the vets CAME HOME IN. They were by then no longer under CLOSE SUPERVISION, so they adorned their outfits with whatever they wanted and/or whatever was available.

Do you think SSIs bordered with beaded dog tag chain, or bullion stuff, or odd-color tabs would have been tolerated in the 82nd while in Berlin?

Hardly.

Before boarding the boats (or, in a few cases, the planes) to go home to the ZI, the GIs were run through the repl depots (then in reverse gear) and issued new stuff, or least whatever was needed to fill in the gaps in their wardrobes. Going through the long lines, maybe the clerk discovered he was out of black-gold or blue-white AIRBORNE tabs, so said to the para guy in front of him "Take it ot leave it, Koe".