Overseas Chevron - World War I

shelbee350

Hello,

I am trying to determine what color chevron my great grandfather would have had on his lower left sleeve. He enlisted on 6/25/1918 with the 5 corp artillery. Served in France from 9/23/18 until 3/14/19 and was discharged 3/25/19. I am confused if he should have the blue or silver chevron. I have a black and white picture of him from the left and there is one chevron on the top portion of his left arm pointing up which I assume is the red discharge chevron and one chevron pointing down on the lower portion of his left sleeve. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks for the document. So in reading it, he would of had a blue chevron since he was only over in France for less than 6 months, correct?

Thanks for the document. So in reading it, he would of had a blue chevron since he was only over in France for less than 6 months, correct?

Yes sir, the Blue Chevron, that other chervron being worn, on the mid left sleeve, it looks like a Private First Class stripe, that is as you think, the Red discharge stripe, out of curiosity, does he have the V Corps patch on?

Yes he does. I have included a picture of him in this reply. You can barely make out the discharge chevron. And you can clearly see the lower chevron. It looks really light which is why I wondered if it was silver or blue

post-5589-0-05400700-1400687976.jpg

He would have had 1 gold stripe. A few days short of 6 months would not have made any difference.

Right Patriot, given now that I see the photo and the chevron in question I agree with you, it certainly does look like it is a Gold chevron, if it was Blue I believe it would not so bright in appearance, but would be more of a muted shade, alittle more in line with the discharge chevron we see.

Thank you for the information on the chevron. I appreciate it. Another question I had is that if you look closely it looks like he has two ribbons. I assume one would be the WWI victory ribbon, but what would the other be? We requested his medals reissued and the only one that is being sent is the WWI and the discharge pin bronze. I have a better picture I might be able to post if necessary.

Thanks,

Chris

Thank you for the information on the chevron. I appreciate it. Another question I had is that if you look closely it looks like he has two ribbons. I assume one would be the WWI victory ribbon, but what would the other be? We requested his medals reissued and the only one that is being sent is the WWI and the discharge pin bronze. I have a better picture I might be able to post if necessary.

Thanks,

Chris

That second ribbon could be a World War state medal, even one given by a City or county. Medals from the differant states of the union issued commerative medals to the sons of there state that served.

Here is one example, the New York State one, each state had a differant color and design on the ribbon as well as differsant designs on the obverse and reverse of the pendant.

post-34986-0-40842100-1356975552.jpg

Here is hopefully a better picture of the ribbons...My great grandfather was in NY after coming over from Italy. He was at Camp Upton. I'm not able to determine the pattern on his ribbon if it is the NY one you posted before or not or if there are 2 or 3 ribbons. There was another ribbon I came across on a website called the "Aqueduct Medal." The link to it is down below.

http://www.omsa.org/....php?photo=2763

post-5589-0-15630700-1400688011.jpg

• 6 months later...

Sorry to revive this topic, but I got the reissue WWI Victory medal from the army for my great-grandfather but it did not come with the ribbon. Would anyone know why they did not issue the ribbon as well?

Thanks,

Chris

Sorry to revive this topic, but I got the reissue WWI Victory medal from the army for my great-grandfather but it did not come with the ribbon. Would anyone know why they did not issue the ribbon as well?

Thanks,

Chris

You talking about the Ribbon slide?

post-34986-0-64638300-1374285343.jpg

Yes...In the pic you can see he has two I believe, although you can't tell the colors...They didn't provide when they reissued his medal...

• 7 months later...

So it looks like my great-grandfather has two ribbons on his uniform. I assume one if the WWI Victory Ribbon and the other the NY Service Ribbon. Two questions though, one when I had the WWI Victory Medal Reissued the Gov't did not provide the ribbon, only the medal. Two, what is the order of precedence? Would the Victory Ribboncome first or the NY one?

Thanks,

Chris

world war I nerd

Hi Chris,

Unless the second ribbon was an award for bravery, such as the Distinguished Service Cross, etc. the Victory Medal ribbon would be displayed first, followed by the state or county ribbon.