SECDEF ROBERT McNAMARA'S PRES MEDAL OF FREEDOM 4 SALE 70K

firefighter

Message sent

<a href="http://qu.ebay.com/s...m (find-answers)" id="findAnswers-survey" rel="nofollow" style="color: rgb(6, 84, 186); text-decoration: none; " target="contactEBaySurvey">Tell us what you think [/font]

5]

Your message about
Presidential Medal of Freedom Awarded 2 Robert McNamara
has been sent to
n8sautographs

What do you want to do next?

• View item details (Presidential Medal of Freedom Awarded 2 Robert McNamara #181048629749)

What do you think of this one.I asked for a scan of the back of the medal.If I was selling something for 70K I would have all kinds of pictures on the listing.It's not illegal to feel one but you need to have a good title.

This piece sold through Sotheby's, New York, from McNamara's estate. It brough just under $35k, all inclusive. It then quickly reappeared in an auction by Nate Sanders, a California autograph dealer. It went unsold there. Now it's on Ebay.

When you consider that Matthew Ridgeway's Medal of Freedom sold for around $11k and Joe Dimaggio's medal for about the same, this one is a little strong for the market at $70k. The Sanders auction write-up mentioned James Cagney's Medal of Freedom at more than $50k, but that was a fluke of the market, so not the best data point from which to establish a market value.

In the "memorabilia" market, there may well be someone willing to cough up $70k, but they would habve bought it through Sotheby's at half that. In the "medals" market, I can't see it being worth more than Ridgeway's medal.

Thought it was a tad high.If you look at his feedback 99% of everything he sold for went for 'best offer'.So i'm sure he's starting high but somebody will offer 50k and he'll take it.Easy way to make 15k.

Kurt Barickman

Has anybody seen the press conference where LBJ awarded him the medal and he was so choked up he couldn't even speak. McNamara built the VN policy for the Johnson Admin. and then wanted out and did not speak again about it until his memoirs in the mid 1990s. I don't even collect this type of thing and don't know the value but I do believe that this is truly of historical significance.

Kurt Barickman