USMC P1912 Dress Coat (1915)

Brian Keith

Close up of insignia

post-1549-1204232936.jpg

post-1549-1204232952.jpg

Is this the right type insignia for the dress uniform? I thought they were supposed to be bright brass, this looks like it would not polish bright it looks to me like it is for the green cap.

After looking at the EGA reference pages, it looks to me like the proper era insignia.

BKW

Looks good to me... you might find some of the gilt finish on the backside of the EGA if you removed it from the cover. thumbsup.gif

Got to ask... Is it for sale?

Semper Fi,

Chuck

The EGA is fine for the cap, looks like the original one to me. I can see some flashing left on the foot and the wings of the eagle. Sometimes these were polished down through the gilt/flash and down to the brass or bronze underneath. Over time the bare metal darkens and often fools you into thinking it is the wrong piece for the cap. This one looks 100% correct to me. I have handled many uniform lots over the years and I will tell that I have seen service emblems on dress caps and dress emblems on service caps and have photographs that show that it was practiced, however not to a great extent, because Marines never break rules... ;) .

BTW, is the cap a full dress cap underneath with a white cover over it? It looks to be. Just needs a chinstrap and you would have a very desirable not found very often anymore cap. I've been looking to upgrade the one in my collection for about 5 years and have yet to find a real nice one.

S/F,

Mike

teufelhunde.ret
The EGA is fine for the cap, looks like the original one to me. I can see some flashing left on the foot and the wings of the eagle. Sometimes these were polished down through the gilt/flash and down to the brass or bronze underneath. Over time the bare metal darkens and often fools you into thinking it is the wrong piece for the cap. This one looks 100% correct to me.

Ditto... its legit