Inserting clips in an M1-Garand ammo belt

rams2050

Hi, all!

I just received the M1-Garand ammo belt which I purchased on ebay (it was a Christmas present, so I only recently opened it). One of your forum members, from whom I'd purchased some really nifty field gear, kindly included a couple of M1-Garand ammo clips with my purchase. I was just downstairs at my little 'display' (which is growing by leaps and bounds) where I thought I would insert into the ammo belt the clips as well as my tin of rifle bore cleaner. The clips have no ammunition; I'm planning to buy some real WWII stuff from a site I found online. Can't buy it now; I'm already in trouble with my husband for spending too much money on my new 'obsession.' Anyway, the pockets on the ammo belt will accommodate the clips, but just barely. So, I'm thinking if they were loaded up with ammo the ammo points would be facing downward into the pocket, while the clip end would be facing upward. Is that correct?

Also, someone on the site mentioned that the bore cleaner would be tucked in another pocket of the ammo belt. I can get the bore cleaner tin into the pocket, but it is a struggle. So, is that right?

Thanks, again, for helping me out with my latest craziness. . .

Awesome addition to your collection!

I know there are many types of oil cans, I have three, and only two of them fit a little easy the other is longways with the cap on the "side" and it doesn't fit real good.

Also be careful they don't leak, either wrap it in plastic or emty it all together.

Would love to see pictures concerning the cartige belt.

Good luck!

I just bought an M1-Garand bayonet and so as soon as it arrives I will post photos of my entire collection, which, by the way, isn't very large or that impressive, but I am very, very thrilled with it!!

I have promised not to buy anything else for a short while. . . Of course, if I happen to find a wonderful deal, that promise will be broken. (haha)

Thank you for your help and your replies. I can honestly say, if I hadn't found this site I wouldn't have thrown myself into collecting like I did. Plus, a couple of your wonderful members have sold me things that I would have been hesitant to buy elsewhere. But with the wealth of knowledge displayed here -- and through forum members -- I felt confident in buying from them -- and I'm glad I did. I got some superb items. . .

I got a new camera for Christmas, so that will come in handy when I take the photos of my collection. (My one M1 helmet isn't yet painted, but when it is I will retake the photo).

Thanks again for everything.

I plan to empty my rifle bore cleaner tin, which is surprisingly good condition -- and which still has bore cleaner contained within. I want to dispose of the cleaner in a responsible way, though, so any suggestions as to the best way to do that? (I hope this isn't too off-topic).

El Bibliotecario

...I want to dispose of the cleaner in a responsible way, though, so any suggestions as to the best way to do that?

To me, the obvious way would be to put in hte bore cleaner in temporary container and use it to clean the bore after shooting until it's used up. You could use the money you saved on not buying a can of commercial bore cleaner to purchase a cleaning rod guide to keep from damaging the muzzle.

Here is a picture of the belt I have.

I would also suggest if you are removing the cleaner from the bottle/can to use a degeaser of sometype to wash the interior out as well.Something like Simple Green. Add some to the bottle,re-cap,shake and pour out.A couple times doing this will remove or reduce the residue in the can.Brake cleaner or something similiar will work as well(but its pretty harsh) what ever you use I would be careful not to get it on the outside of the can as it can remove the paint.(eventually the bore cleaner if spilled will go the same)

post-342-0-72215800-1356825554_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the photo. Are those WWII rounds?

Also, do you have bore cleaner in one of your pouches?

You are most welcome ;)

I think the rounds are dated in the 50s.They are military though.I do have bandoleers of ammo from WW2.I think I even have some from 1938.

Dont have an oiler in the pocket.Never been a fan of doing that but its just me.

Another thing to point out. The straps in the pockets (if your belt has them, some don't) are for retaining a 5-round clip for the M1903 Springfield rifle when the pocket flap was open.

Originally, the belt was designed to hold 2 clips of ammo in each pocket for the Springfield rifle, the strap being used to retain the front clip in the pouch. When the M1 was adopted with its staggered two-column clip, they were just put in the pockets and the flap was closed over them.

Besides it being difficult to snap the strap over the M1 clip, it makes for an unnessecary step in reloading. Not a good thing on the target range or in combat.

Yes, annihilator, my belt has the straps in the pockets and I was wondering what they were for. I did what you said: put the in the pockets, added the clip and closed the flap.

Thank you.