FSSF Enlisted Men's Overseas Cap

bfryar44

I picked up this FSSF overseas cap a couple of years ago and since FSSF items are not my area of expertise so I would like to get an expert opinion on it.

Thanks,

Bryan

MVC-007S.jpg

MVC-008S.jpg

MVC-009S-1.jpg

MVC-010S.jpg

Guest Photographer

As I have only have three in my hands in 35 years it looks to be th real deal. Did you hit it with a black light to see if it glows? I know that a dealer named Snyder was selling ones that were questionable but this one looks right. Well that is my two cents worth. WIth that and a dollar you can get a cup of coffee and a laught. I think if I am correct that is th third pattern of overseas piping for th FSSF, and in so th latest but still second world war. Thanks for th pics. Love th piece it is really nice. Do you have any other First Special Service Force items in your collection? Also just a note I am looking for anouther enlisted collar device ofr desplay. If anyone knows where to get a WWII one please let me know.

Johan Willaert
I think if I am correct that is th third pattern of overseas piping for th FSSF, and in so th latest but still second world war.

What would the differences between these patterns be?

The piping looks correct.I would say real based on the ones I have.I am unaware of other patterns.My hats are from two different veterans and both display the same style cord/piping.Both vets were with the Force from the beginning until disbandment.I also have seen close to 20 other caps in the hands of vets or family members and all have the same style piping.

Be very suspect of any with a cotton twisted three strand cord.the cords being seperate red,white and blue.These in my opinion are all fakes.They have been made up from old ROTC or Civilian Military Training Camp cords.I have seen these trumped up as "theartre" made,not so.One comes to mind that Jack Brown from "Alpine Militaria"fame had and was selling a few years ago.He had a shoulder cord,overseas cap,wing oval,and patch all said to be theatre made.It was all junk.

I like the cap too and would be curious to hear more about the three types of piping. I have only seen one style in all the verified examples I've handled.

Here is a Force cap that is part of a group from a NE vet in my collection. Notice the cap is officer quality elastic wool.

Best,

Chris Hughes

post-235-1204247007.jpg

The following pic is an original FSSF OS cap with piping. It came from the same vet as my parka.

The vet was an MP, non airborne who later went over to the 474th.

FSSF17.jpg

FSSF24.jpg

FSSF30.jpg

I have a photo of the vet in his 474th-FSSF patched Ike as well as the IKE but I have already posted them.

From the photos it appears that the piping in the first post the blue/red flecks are touching.In post#6 the blue and red flecks have a space of white seperating them.This may be the varations that Photograher spoke of.

On the two that I currently own, both with provenance, the blue and the red touch.

I've had 5-6 others, but I can't remember the piping for the life of me!

On the two that I currently own, both with provenance, the blue and the red touch.

I've had 5-6 others, but I can't remember the piping for the life of me!

My pic is not the greatest, but the blue and red are touching on my piping too.

---Chris

Man I sure like those 1SSF garrison caps!

This is as close to one (or 5 :D ) that I have come across to date (approx 16 ft.):

post-1535-1204341686.jpg

post-1535-1204341696.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Bryan,...Your FSSF overseas cap looks to be a good one and from the look of the black tape on the cord I would say it was an early issue. The following three caps in my collection have the same piping as yours, and they are all original and named to members of the FSSF. The first two have the piping with the black tape as was normal for the first issued caps. The third cap has a white tape on the piping which indicates that this cap was issued late in the war to a replacement member of the FSSF.

TRI78CD-2.jpg

brn20paper201185.jpg

If you look closely at the piping you can see part of the white tap where the piping is sewn on to the cap. The caps issued late in the FSSF campaign had the piping with the white tap instead of the black tap.

FSSF364.jpg