Looking at a USMC WIA Okinawa Purple heart tomorrow

cplnorton

I know a guy who has a WWII USMC purple heart that is engraved to a 6th division Marine who was wounded on Okinawa. I don't know what his name is, but the guy said the medal is in the coffin case. It's engraved with his name, and has USMC engraved underneath the name. It also includes his WWII Dog Tags and a couple 6th divsion patches.

What is a engraved WWII USMC purple heart worth from Okinawa? I'm not sure if it is a split broach or not. I haven't seen it. I'm just going by description of it. I just wanted to know a general idea of value so I don't overpay. He has not priced it for sure, but he said he was thinking about $500.

Your questions pose.... well.... too many questions!

Assuming it's a Navy Type II or Type III PH in a short titled case, I'm seeing maybe $300 worth of "parts" there. For a Marine WIA PH I'd expect it to be unengraved, so the fact that it's engraved sends up a red flag. Was it engraved by the vet 60 years ago, or by a collector last month? If everything looks right, now you have to decide how many $$$ you want to add for a "group value."

dhcoleterracina

When you see the group, bring your camera. Post the photo's here and you will get an honest opinion. If he doesn't want you to do this....well then we'd call that a "Red Flag"

When you see the group, bring your camera. Post the photo's here and you will get an honest opinion. If he doesn't want you to do this....well then we'd call that a "Red Flag"

Will do. Thanks so much guys!

Brian Dentino

Cpl, I will echo what Tom said......don't expect to see an engraved USMC WIA Heart....that would be my first and biggest concern with this one without pics. Tom is, without a doubt, a PH expert and a value to us here BTW!

Maybe the Marine was KIA not WIA. Just need the name on the medal to find out. History on these medals sometimes gets confused over time. The current owner may not know what he has for sure. This has happened to me on more than one occasion. No need to start with all of these "Red Flags" until the medal is viewed. ;)

I didn't buy it today. I told him I wanted to research it just tonight and I would get back with him tomorrow. I was a little scared the purple heart I believe is a WWII Army one. At least the ribbon is. I told him I would do research and get back with him tomorrow. The engraving looks good, but I wanted to get your opinions on it.

desktop.jpg

Here is the dogtags. I noticed an E. C. on the right side of the tag. I hadn't noticed that marking before. What is that for?

dogtag.jpg

The "E" is his middle initial. The "C" is for Catholic. I see no problems with anything pictured.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

I talked to the seller and he was really suprised it was a Korean war purple heart. He had always believe it was a WWII one. I think he is thinking I'm feeding him a line of crap. I think I will jump over to research and see if I can get any proof of him being KIA in Korea.

I did find this though on Google under Pennslyvania Korean War KIA.

born 1/16/1926

KIA 11/03/1952

from Philadelphia

remains recovered.

SGT WILLIAM E MCCREA

MGCIS 1 - MARINE GROUND CONTROL INTERCEPT SQUADRON 1

1ST MARINE AIR WING

MARINES

NON-HOSTILE, DIED OTHER CAUSES

DATE OF LOSS: NOVEMBER 3, 1952

SERVICE NUMBER: 951591

BORN: JANUARY 16, 1926

HOME OR PLACE OF ENLISTMENT

PHILADELPHIA, PA

LOCATION OR BATTLE ZONE: WESTERN OUTPOSTS

BURIAL LOCATION

BEVERLY NATIONAL CEMETERY

Comments: Sergeant McCrea was a member of Master Ground Controller Interception (Radar) Squadron 1, Marine Air Control Group 2, 1st Marine Air Wing. He died in Korea from other causes on November 3, 1952.

It said he died in non-hostile. I wonder how he got the purple heart? I thought the whole idea of the purple heart was for wounds received by the enemy?

I am wondering if he wounded in action, then later died as a result of non hostile action, and the Purple Heart was sent to his family.

Would a Purple Heart sent to the family for WIA be named?

A suicide. I'm not sure I want to buy the purple heart now. That's sort of creepy. It's one thing if you were being overrun by the enemy but it sounds like he might have been in the rear with the gear when he did it.

A suicide. I'm not sure I want to buy the purple heart now. That's sort of creepy. It's one thing if you were being overrun by the enemy but it sounds like he might have been in the rear with the gear when he did it.

I'm sure you've gotten a few PMs by now from folks who'd buy it from you!

On the plus side:

It's a rare officially engraved KW Marine Purple Heart. Find another!!

There's definitely a story there, which McCrea's personnel file should show.

You're in a good negotiating position with the seller (provided he doesn't know how rare a KW Marine PH really is!!).

On the minus side:

His personnel file won't be classified as archival until 2014 (62 years after his death), so you won't be able to get it until then. A little over a year from now.