LINCOLN

Jim Baker

Come now JS. In terms of his contribution to modern history, who could forget..... Anthony Hopkins? (Born/raised in my neighbourhood BTW!)

YOU DID!!!! :)

I really enjoyed the movie. I especially liked the scene when Lincoln talked privately with the White House housekeeper. It really showed that he was doing the best he could for the right reasons, but that he didn't think that he had all the answers.

Did anyone else notice Grant's Native American aide? -- I believe he was a full-blooded Mohawk. Apparently Lee was taken aback by his presence at Appomottax because he thought the guy was African-American!

Close! Bvt. Brig. Gen. Ely Parker was Seneca. Here he is in a photo with Grant (notice he's wearing LTC leaves sewn directly to his coat, without shoulder straps):

post-3982-0-47099300-1357782257_thumb.jpg

historyandcultures

I also like the scene of the Union communication station. I thought it was very interesting to see this support function as happening during the Civil War. I believe I want to collect some of that Signal Corps material if it is around.

• 10 months later...

Not the first time a British Born actor played a U.S. President. "A Landsmann" of your's Ian played one :D

The Welshman Anthony Hopkins as Nixon.

attachicon.gifimagesCADOGRM2.jpg

On this older topic, I would like to add another British actor who portrayed an American President. I just occured to me last night, yes there was another actor from across the pond, Micheal Gambon, the well know Irish born actor.

As Lyndon Baines Johnson in HBO's Path to War, a 2002 cabel T.V. movie on the escalation of the Vietnam War, he did a great job Gambon, and looks like LBJ too.

Michael-Gambon.jpg

actors-who-played-presidents-8-sized.jpg

• 4 years later...
439th Signal Battalion

I just watched this movie (again) as it has now been placed on Netflix. I liked it before and I sill do.

On a more casual note, I was surprised near the end where the surrender was taking place at the McLean House in Appomattox, that they showed the well house, which for those who have been there, will remember is right in front of the main house. I don't think that there has been another movie (or too many period images that I remember) where this has appeared as it has always been avoided or deleted.