Era of this EGA

Brian Keith

OK, I looked through the reference section and didn't find a match to this. What can you guys tell me about it.

Front

post-1549-1204221628.jpg

Backpost-1549-1204221641.jpg

BKW

teufelhunde.ret

Brian, not surprised you did not find one, as there is not one dedicated to this specific emblem (got to fix that problem). You will find it referred to here in post number six http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=8445 While debated by some if it was first used and or produced in 1918 an or 1922, it is attributed to this specific period of time. And very often mistakenly taken for a 1930's piece, as you will see in the picture posted in the thread.

What makes this piece unique is the bottom of the wings... when the begin to meet the legs of the eagle. Observe a very definitive scallop portion with a distinctively deep cut into the wing. Atop the wing the same scallop cut where the wings join the body is also deeper. On the continents of the two nearly identical emblems... are different, your piece is missing the small outline of Florida, while the later emblem shows a small area outline of the same. And the final element of identification are the dots that present on the back of the eagle, on the 30's version.

A very nice example, your Marine took pride is keeping his brass shined. Would be pleased to add it to my collection should you want to sell someday.

s/f Darrell

I did catch that thread, but didn't read the whole thing, just breezed through the photo's.

Thanks for the great info. I did ID a couple other's I have by looking at the reference pages.

I thank you for your work here.

BKW

teufelhunde.ret
I did catch that thread, but didn't read the whole thing, just breezed through the photo's.

Your not the first nor the last to overlook these subtle variations... no doubt we will make sure this emblem is used in ref sec in right area. Thank you for sharing with us thumbsup.gif s/f Darrell