Early M79 Grenade Vest?

New Romantic

Yes, I know I've been absent from here for a while- other priorities in life, really downsized my collection, and still selling most of it... Still I do have in interest in US WWI and now a renewed interest in the Vietnam War circa 1966 during my father's first tour of duty with C 2/27th Wolfhounds from Jan 3 1966- Jan 3 1967.

I'm looking for info on the early M79 grenade vests. These must be super rare. I can't recall ever seeing one for sale and I can't remember if these were ever discussed on any of the forums.

Were they tan coloured like the early M79 round bandoleers? Anybody have any good photos of this?

The link is to a 2nd model circa 1967-68,

This is the 1st model introduced in 1966, features thin netting, with a large velcro flap, and 6 pockets that if you dont have the small plastic egg shells the vest is worthless and wont hold the 40mm rounds.

paul

post-2472-1204259300.jpg

post-2472-1204259319.jpg

heres a little better shot, if you need some close ups let me know and I'll snap them side by side for ya, Ive also got a 2nd model and of course the 3d model

Paul

post-2472-1204259667.jpg

Thank you for posting the photos Paul, 1st time I've ever seen the 2nd pattern vest, unless I missed it in your two books.

Spike, can you post photos of your 1st pattern vests? Tommorrow I will post some photos of 25th ID soldiers in 1966 wearing what appears to be the 1st pattern M79 vest.

pwmiraldi67

right,

both the tall ones and short ones will work, vest is useless without em, damn shells slide all over the place if you take one out without the egg crates, great design!!

paul

post-532-1204409738.jpg

Since we are talkin' about M79 vests I remembered I had these....don't know much about them except I have a pic of a SEAL in 1970 using something like these if not the exact same thing.

New Romantic
hey bro

those are the 1st model vests,

the link on ebay was the second model.

The one I have on the figure is the Gen 1 vest

thanks

paul

Ah yes thanks for clearing that up Paul, I misread your first post.

Here's one of several photos I mentioned showing a mortar crew of the 25th ID in mid 1966- from "Tropic Lightning, the 25th's 25th in Combat", Nov 1966

The soldier in the middle is wearing some sort of m79 vest or apron as it looks. Hard to tell but it doesn't look like it has a front opening. Another photo of the same crew shows the M79 gunner from the back and he has grenade pockets on his lower back side. Perhaps this is a soldier produced item?

post-599-1204423965.jpg

• 2 years later...
post-532-1204409738.jpg

Since we are talkin' about M79 vests I remembered I had these....don't know much about them except I have a pic of a SEAL in 1970 using something like these if not the exact same thing.

Spike

Those are Vietnam era carrying cases/bandoleers for the CS rounds. I had a full case of 1969 dated CS rounds and that is what the rounds came packed in these bandoleers, with the information cards

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know the price range one these would go for today? I've never seen one for sale.

Years ago I saw one on ebay. It sold for well over $500 if I recall.