My 112th RCT patch

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

I dont know if this was posted or not but it is an old forum article on the 112th RCT..Has pictures of patches

http://www.usmilitar...y-sold-for-713/

Thanks so much Bobby,for posting this link,I had found the thread a while back,but I could'nt find it again when I did a search for it recently.

I think there is something wrong with my settings in my web browser that affects my search capabilities here,something to do with the cookies or whatever. :blink:

As this link shows,there are more variations than just the Japanese silk made one,thanks again for putting this up! :)

Patchcollector

The patch that was P.I. made was not in good shape as I remember and it was not silk but very thin material with micro swiss cheese holes or spaces in the cloth material. Mort

P.S. to find pics of this patch are as rare as the patch. Never saw one for sale at any price at an ASMIC or SOS show but have seen Alamo Scouts, T-Force,OSS wings,etc. Rarepatchman has shown us an example and wonder how many he has handled or seen.

Interesting!Thanks for the info Mort :)

Patchcollector

You should rally consider joining ASMIC.It's not that expensive and the 'Trading Post' is published 4 times a year.You can also buy back issues.I had a patch for almost 15 years, never knew what it was.I always thought it was a Navy novelty patch, 8 ball.Almost thought about getting rid of it.Couldn't find it in any reference book, and still can't, or an issue of the Trading Post'.Then one day I picked up an old issue of 'Militaria', a French magazine, and there it was.Turned out to be a very rare 8th Beach Landing patch.According to the article only around 500 were made.The first one I ever saw for sale was on eBay a few months ago, and I've had the patch since '85.So who knows maybe your patch is in the same boat as mine was.I'm just glad I never got rid of it.

Hmm.I have an old "8 ball" patch that I have been unable to ID as well!Maybe someday you can post a pic of it here on the forum,and I'll see if mine matches yours!

Observations from the previous topic on patch variations of the 112th RCT.

No question we have found the patch that your patch was based on. Also, notice the tab is stitched on a similar base material. However, it seems all examples I have seen use silk somewhere in its design.

post-98-0-87334400-1356966249.jpg

post-98-0-00055000-1356966259.jpg

You however,took one quick look at it,and proclaimed it to be a fake from the start.

Sometimes, it's quite easy to do. There have been a number of Ebay sellers offering these exact type of patches (primarily "WW1" patches) for years. The second I see one constructed like the subject patch, I check the seller's other offerings. Sure enough, there are usually a number of other "rare/exotic" unit patches listed that are constructed in a very similar manner - and lots of them! (I find them to be an excellent "study aid" for avoiding getting ripped-off myself) How are these sellers so lucky to find such patches, week-after-week, month-after-month, year-after-year???? And, they're all made the same too!

Red Flags to consider when looking at a WW1 patch on Ebay:

1. Seller offers many patches that can be considered rare or unusual.

2. Most are all made in a similar way.

3. Many have a "soutache" border (which was used by many 1918/19 era German patch makers), but the patch does not have other characteristics of a German-made patch.

4. These "rare" patches sell at a modest price (why aren't the "heavy hitters" grabbing them all? Why is the seller letting such great patches go "cheap"?))

5. Seller seems knowledgable about patches, but does not use the term, "original" in the description. If I was selling a rare patch that I felt to be original, I certainly would have included that in my description.

I'm writing all this so perhaps new collectors read all this and can avoid getting ripped-off. It's sad to read the feedback left by unsuspecting wide-eyed collectors gushing over their latest rare treasure purchased from these sellers.

Observations from the previous topic on patch variations of the 112th RCT.

No question we have found the patch that your patch was based on. Also, notice the tab is stitched on a similar base material. However, it seems all examples I have seen use silk somewhere in its design.

It would be very difficult to replicate that artful Japanese silk embroidery that makes up the horse and scroll. But to just cut the same designs out of felt and create a pretty patch.....not so difficult.

vintageproductions

I missed a lot on this thread last night. Also, had messages from members saying the thread was getting "Hot". Glad to see everyone has calmed down a bit.

On to the link that was posted. Look at these photos closely, every patch shown is Japanese made, with Japanese embroidery traits, not one shows any "WWI" style traits. There is a reason for this, because they were all made in Japan and like the one Mort mentioned the Philippines, where the unit was stationed. I know the style Mort is talking about with the PI made one as I have had 4025th Signal patches made that way. The author of the ASMIC article has shown some of his in that link, including the one I believe was copied and made on Ebay.

I'm sorry, but Ebay's feedback system means absolutely nothing to me. Four of the biggest sellers of Vietnam fake patches on there, have glowing / outstanding feedback ratings. They get five stars all the way around for screwing buyers left and right.

I will say what I said originally in this post. If you are happy with spending what you did on this patch, then enjoy it. In the end you are the only person who has to be happy with it. It doesn't matter what other collectors think, it is your patch, and you are the one that has to feel all warm and fuzzy when you look at it in your collection. But, when you post a patch on this or any other forum, be ready for praise or critism.

Hmm.I have an old "8 ball" patch that I have been unable to ID as well!Maybe someday you can post a pic of it here on the forum,and I'll see if mine matches yours!

I will try and get a pic on.The patch is a red square with a black 8 ball and 'U.S. NAVY' across the ball.