Which do you Recommend?

Jack's Son

This may help narrow the window a bit.

I would like a .223 Cal rifle, Rugar used to have a model "Mini-14" that would be good for my needs. Ability to hold multiple rounds, auto-loading, .223, or similar caliber, easy to find rounds.

The AR model came to mind because that is all I see out there today. I am NOT using it for black-ops, or any of the nonsense, it would be for medium range, to long range shooting. Lets say guarding the perimeter of my home.

I would like a .223 Cal rifle, Rugar used to have a model "Mini-14" that would be good for my needs. Ability to hold multiple rounds, auto-loading, .223, or similar caliber, easy to find rounds.

The AR model came to mind because that is all I see out there today. I am NOT using it for black-ops, or any of the nonsense, it would be for medium range, to long range shooting. Lets say guarding the perimeter of my home.

OK so you didn't like the zombie killing FNPS90 they are not for everybody for sure.

I think somebody already mentioned what I think is a good call, the Bushmaster Modular, as it comes with some nice basic features, it is easy to get parts for and or is customizable and they dont cost an arm and a leg. You can buy the basic model of most any AR and mess with making it yours, but for my money DPMS and Bushmaster both make well made AR's that fire out of the box and are easy to modify to your personal taste. Rounds are plentiful, mags are plentiful as are the AR's them selves depending on where you live of course.

Yep, those black rifle owners are all a bunch of whack cases. I will be the first to agree that a shotgun is a great home defense weapon. That's what I use. I just haven't read anything in his post that says he wants one for home defense.

I have several "black Rifles" and I don't consider myself a whack case. I have one that I shoot in NRA and CMP Matches. I have one that is set up for long range varmit shooting. I think the color is a real turnoff for the anti gunners. Paint them pink? When the Clinton gun ban outlawed "Black" AR types but allowed the Ruger mini 14 said it all. Both 223 semi auto with detachable magazines with same rate of fire. Ruger had a straight wood stock- SO!!!

Ruger had a mini 30 also at one time(7.62x39) never fired one but I know a couple guys who had them and they liked them.Plus they had ammo for the AK and SKS.I guess with anything you choose stick with something where ammo is commonly avaiable or realatively easy to find.

See post #19.

Lets say guarding the perimeter of my home.

Depending on where you live, your local laws may dictate more than the state does regarding "perimeter defense". In many places in CA, shooting someone just because they are on your property isn't going to put you on the good side of the law. To get better acquainted with what you can and cannot do in your county, calguns.net is a fantastic forum that covers all the laws thoroughly and if you have more questions, it's one of the busiest forums I know...so it can get answered fast too. They also have a very lively classified section for in-state gun purchases too...but you have to move quick. Good deals are often gone within seconds of posting (not minutes...literally seconds...I think some guys live on the classifieds forum...)

Personally, for home defense, my favorite is my ex-police Mossberg 12-gage pump shotgun. It's not pretty (it was "rode hard" by whatever police department had it) but it works like a charm. My first round out the barrel is a flash bang...for the sole purpose of never being afraid to pull the trigger. It won't kill the intruder, but it will scare the sh*t out of them and hopefully they'll high-tail it out. If they keep coming, the subsequent rounds will make sure they look like hamburger before they get too much further... Even as a pump, I can still get the rounds downrange as fast as a semi-automatic, so an intruder might be able to travel all of about three feet between shots...long enough for them to no longer exist after the 2nd and subsequent rounds.

Oh, and I keep my Glock 22 (.40) prepped for home defense with the laser sight, etc...in case I need something smaller than the shotgun.

I'm not a fan of "assault style" weapons for home defense as the bullets are far too high powered and will easily say "hi" to the neighbors if you shoot through the wrong walls...something you DEFINITELY don't want to have happen!

My two cents...

Dave

Don't get sucked into the gun hysteria of the "black helicopter" crowd or "the UN is coming to get my guns" crowd.

Yep, those black rifle owners are all a bunch of whack cases.

That was a joke in reference to the above post. Lighten up for God sakes. I'm not calling anyone names.

Gentlemen;

We have been watching you guys...from the Great White North mind you!!!!

The biggest question here is ....What is an "assault weapon"???? In the narrow minds of the uneducated masses...the term refers to anything that "looks" ugly and scary. By that definition it becomes a very broad and vague application. Using that definition what exactly would be considered an "assault weapon"???

-Number one, the Nissan Cube and the Honda Element are ugly and scary enough to be called an "Assault vehicle", along the lines of a Hummer H2.

-The A-10 Warthog..now that is ugly and scary, and definetly an "Assault Aircraft"...nuff said about that.

-Corelle dinner plates, the pure definition of ugly and scary, especially when flung across the room like a frisbee...Assault dinner ware"!!!

-Someone mentioned about getting a shotgun...loaded with rock salt is the epitome of an "A SALT Shotgun"!!!

-Lindsay Lohan...NOW THAT is ugly and scary, and is proficient at various levels of "assault"!!!!!

OK enough already!!!!

Here in the "cold country" we have been inundated with similar drivel related to firearms largely perpetuated by opportunistic politicans. We are still allowed to possess AR-15 style firearms, though they are "restricted" much the same as handguns. The AK-47 series are largely prohibited and can only be sold to owners of similar class of firearms. I will stop there as it is very frustrating for a 40 plus years collector of firearms to see thhis stuff happen. I bought my first handgun in 1978 and have not looked back since, though have directed my energies to militaria in tehe past decade.

To answer Jack's question...get an AR-15 platform (whatever you can find) plus a M1911 Government Model 45 acp for a handgun (Kimber, Colt, Springfield Armory), and a 12 ga. Shotgun of whatever style suits you best. You are then prepared for virtually any SHTF scenario. Don't forget the Rock Salt shotgun shells!!!!

I agree. Can't go wrong with that advice. Can you think of anything more intiminating than hearing the rack of the slide of a pump shotgun in the dark!

Ron

Ditto. A shotgun and a good pistol is all you need for home defense.

Besides, if you aren't properly trained, it can be a bit stressful having to shoot at another person despite what all the John Wayne types tell you. The shotgun will allow you to point and shoot quickly and "greatly" increase your chances of hitting the target. And if you miss you will probably have scared the living s**t out of the bad guy.

If you are inside the house, I would recommend a pistol anyway. Easier to handle and move quietly.

As far as a semi auto rifle, I've had AR and AK. What I really liked though was a Ruger mini 14. Very easy to take care of and they offer a lot of assault type accessories.

Just my preferences.

Our US Senator Di-Fi wants to make California laws the Federal standard too:

http://www.feinstein...assault-weapons

Was thinking of the "Pincess" early.Funny you mention this.Between her and the Prez they cant seem to curb illegal gun use(gangs and illegal immigration) in their home states but are going to try to make the nation conform.

I favor my old model 97 Winchester if i ever have to ask someone to exit my home at 2am, but i did read of a study where 357, 40, 223 hollow points and i think 12 ga slugs were fired through a wall section with gelatin on the other side to test over penetration from a home defense shooting standpoint. They all would kill someone on the other side of a wall except for 223 hollow points, which broke up pretty well going through the wall. I have a mag of them in my AR in case i need it.

OK folks, as much fun as it is making fun of Di and the gang, we need to stay away from politics and help Robin pick out the best bad guy killer suited to his needs. ;)

Getting back on topic, i would not recomend rocksalt in a shotgun. Please read the following: http://www.theboxotr.../docs/bot33.htm

Having been on the receiving end, the BOT is dead wrong on this one. IMHE, rock salt loads works quite well at least out to about 25-30 yards.

I think where they screwed up was in using little ice cream salt crystals. The loads I saw the old-timers using were large chunks chipped from a salt lick block; the two pieces pulled out of my hide were about the size of 000 buck.

Having been on the receiving end, the BOT is dead wrong on this one. IMHE, rock salt loads works quite well at least out to about 25-30 yards.

I think where they screwed up was in using little ice cream salt crystals. The loads I saw the old-timers using were large chunks chipped from a salt lick block; the two pieces pulled out of my hide were about the size of 000 buck.

Oh no...... You can't stop there. Circumstances man!! Inquiring minds want to know. :P

I also have been on the receiving end and it was for nothing more than being in the wrong field in Kentucky.

So, lets talk Mini-14's, does Ruger still make them? I've been told they are not?

I think you could do well with this gun for more than just home defense. My thoughts when this model first came out was that it was a military looking weapon with a bunch of aftermarket companies offering all sorts of accessories. I'm sure if you looked you could find a forum for owners that could be really helpful. I just did a quick search for one type conversion kit such as this one: http://www.22lrconversion.com/mini-pg.htm. I'm not sure who first had these kits but they were used for M~16 training because of the savings in ammo. You could have the same conversion for taking to the range or just plinking out wherever it's okay to plink. We used to go to a farm out west of Sacramento and shoot rats.

A lot has been said here about penetration through walls and I think it should be a consideration no matter what type weapon you choose.

Oh no...... You can't stop there. Circumstances man!! Inquiring minds want to know.

The usual. It was something of a tradition among the local "yutes" to raid old man George Thurman's watermelon patch. First foray of the season, he'd switched his planting up and instead of watermelon we found cantaloupe in the usual spot. We wandered a little too close to the house looking for where he'd put the watermelon, and he gave us a rousing sendoff. Myself and one of my accomplices brought out souvenirs; they went into the skin but there was just enough still sticking out to grasp with a pair of needle-nose pliers and twist out. And I did want them out...felt like someone was putting out a cigar on my skin.

That was a joke in reference to the above post. Lighten up for God sakes. I'm not calling anyone names.

We always need to keep in mind that not everyone can see our tongue firmly planted in cheek when we make written jokes on forums. I can't even count how many times we've heard from someone who saw one man's joke as being their insult. Between you and i though - those who felt insulted were all pansies. :)

If you can't find a AR or Mini 14 then IMHO you can't beat a M1 Garand. For some reason the politicans don't see them as a threat even though they did a very good job in WW2 and Korea. Unless you are being attacked by a horde, a 8rd enbloc clip is enough to protect you.

I think every reasonable home owner should have a shotgun, a rifle even a lever action 30-30 can but rounds down range fast and a handgun.