GI from the 100th I.D. Occupation letters back gome

D.A.T.

I've been looking around for some info on which Division, Unit or Regiment whatever occupied the village I live in, Gärtringen, after the war, when the French left and the Americans took over, and I came across William Taylor, who was stationed here in southwest Germany at the end of the war, over 300 letters sent back home, I doubt if I even sent 20 letters back home in my 2 1/2 yrs stationed here, I was just too busy. ;) It also looks like jeeps were being stolen big time back then. :lol:

The World War II Letters of William Wellington Taylor, Jr.: April 2010

I first got interested in the US occupation after reading in our village newspaper about a group of Seniors going on "wander-tour" through the woods nearby and stop at the old borderline between the French and US Occupation Zones, where there is a small "shrine?" setup, so I grabbed my camera and headed out that way, expecting to find a marlbe dedication plaque, there was just this sign, looks like copied from the ones they used in Berlin, and below it info, and not much, about some things that went on back then. The sign is facing Gärtringen, the American side, and the other side Deckenpfronn, French, which was almost completely leveled right at the end of the war.

grenzweg1.jpg

grenzweg2.jpg

Here's a map showing the times and towns the French were taking over, bet the Führer didn't like that too much, all happening around his birthday. :lol: Gärtringen capitulated the 19th of April, 1945.

sduwestkamenfranz.jpg

If anybody has any information about US Occupation troops in Southwest Germany around 1945-46 any help would be appreciated.

www.63rdinfdiv.com/occupationphotospage1.html

www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/Occ-GY/

www.marshallfoundation.org/pictures.htm

Very interesting Pat. He was quite a prolific writer! (BTW...is that your trusty two-wheeled steed in the photograph?!) ;)

Yes Ian, that is my bicycle, been with me on most of my roadtrips, but if the truth be known, I should be on it much more often. :unsure: