Just restored a PRC-77

graffspee

Here is a PRC-77 radio I just finished repainting and fixing....It came from Israel and was made in 1969 from what I can see on the manufacture stamps that were on the inside of the case and it had about 5 layers of paint on it that was a real chore to get off....It had some problems with the electronics that I was able to fix and I got it to power up and work. I just need to find the u-317/u Shorting Cap for the external power supply connector.(which seem to be impossible to find).

post-9906-0-33683500-1402622575.jpg

I have plenty of actual batteries for it that are still good . However , I am in the process of making a couple of battery packs from old BA-4386 batteries that I have. This one seems to be aligned ok . My other one needs an alignment but I just haven't gotten around to messing with that as of yet. They are cool to play with. I help setup Vietnam Living History displays with a group at museums and other public events and we use the ones our group has to setup demonstrations for the public .

Great looking radio you have there. Do you need a HAM (or HAM-type) license to operate military radios? I have been wanting to get a military radio for some time and have been wondering about this.

You need a amateur radio technician license, and then you can only transmit on the radio from 50 to 54mhz. This is the 6 meter band.

You can listen to anything you like without the license, just don't transmit.

I am well aware of the license deal. I have had a FCC radio license since High School and have kept it all these years just for the hell of it. Until I started messing with restoring these radios I had never had a need for it...

• 9 months later...

Are the BA-4386 batteries still being manufactured by anyone? I have a few that were made by rayovac back in the early 90's.