1st Army colored insert patches

chuck locke

Some 1st Army Insert patches on a period WWII patch blanket. Left - Right Transport, Quartermaster, Cavalry, Unassigned troops, & Infantry.

The one you call "Transport" is actually for ORDNANCE, not Transportation Corps.

Awesome quilt by the way.

Follow me on Facebook @zemkecollectables

Austin_Militaria

Isn't Transport Red and Yellow? How far off is the color "crimsen" to " red " ?

Austin_Militaria

donation2012.gif

The colors are somewhat similiar, but Transportation's red is generally darker, hence it's offical name of "brick red". The 1st Army patch is decidedly the "Ordnance" shade.

Its also a matter of when the colors were used and what those branch's units were at the time.

Transporation Corps did not come into existance until 31 July 1942, yet this "so-called" Transportation color inster 1st Army patches exist in decidedly pre-war "woolie" styles with the exact same colors as your fully embroidered version.

Follow me on Facebook @zemkecollectables

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, great thread - I think it's something to place under the SSI reference section? Cheers!

In my patch collection I mainly focus on World War Two to early post-WW2 Divisional Shoulder Sleeve Insignia | Always buying 94th Infantry Division WW2 items, books, photos, patches and post-WW2 veteran's reunion items. | Selling and/or trading my german militaria collection | All pictures are taken by me and objects shown are part of my collection, unless stated otherwise | It's okay to use the pictures for non-commercial purposes (eg. study, reference, etc.) | 94th Infantry Division Historical Society Lifetime Member | 29th Infantry Division Historical Society Member | ASMIC Member | Join ASMIC today via: https://www.asmic.org/join.aspx Make sure to like 94th Infantry Division Books on Facebook

All the best!

Bocage

WorldWarPatches

A listing of the colors center first and piping second.

Infantry - blue

Engineers - red & white

Artillary - red

Chemical - cobalt blue & golden yellow

Medical - maroon & white

Quartermaster - buff

Military police - yellow & green (there is a reverse, green and yellow, variation

Finance - silver gray & golden yellow

Signals - orange & white

ordinannce - crimsen & yellow

Cavalry - yellow

Detached enlisted mans list - grass green

transport - red & yellow

Aviation - blue & orange

Headquarters personel - olive drab

Armored forces - green & white

Tank destroyer - orange & black

West Point cadre - white & yellow

Hi Chuck. where might I ask did this list come from. I have 4 books showing color inserts and not 2 have the same info.

https://www.ebay.com/str/worldwarpatches

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them!

https://www.worldwarpatches.com

• 2 weeks later...

Looks orange to me ;-)

This one is not on the list. Yellow center (not orange) with a white border. What is it.

In my patch collection I mainly focus on World War Two to early post-WW2 Divisional Shoulder Sleeve Insignia | Always buying 94th Infantry Division WW2 items, books, photos, patches and post-WW2 veteran's reunion items. | Selling and/or trading my german militaria collection | All pictures are taken by me and objects shown are part of my collection, unless stated otherwise | It's okay to use the pictures for non-commercial purposes (eg. study, reference, etc.) | 94th Infantry Division Historical Society Lifetime Member | 29th Infantry Division Historical Society Member | ASMIC Member | Join ASMIC today via: https://www.asmic.org/join.aspx Make sure to like 94th Infantry Division Books on Facebook

All the best!

Bocage

• 5 months later...

I was wondering if there is a greenback "ribbed weave" version of these 1st Army insert patches? I notice that the greenbacks I have so far are the "flat" version, non-ribbed weave. So is it possible that there would be 4 "versions" of each one of these colors? Ribbed weave white back & GB, and the "flat" version in both white back and GB?

Here's an example of the 1st Army engineer patch. "flat" version white back and GB, ribbed weave white back. Would there be a ribbed weave GB to complete this "set"?

post-110693-0-32752000-1424757724.jpg

post-110693-0-22344300-1424757744.jpg