1st Army colored insert patches

chuck locke

Some 1st Army Insert patches on a period WWII patch blanket. Left - Right Transport, Quartermaster, Cavalry, Unassigned troops, & Infantry.

The one you call "Transport" is actually for ORDNANCE, not Transportation Corps.

Awesome quilt by the way.

Austin_Militaria

Isn't Transport Red and Yellow? How far off is the color "crimsen" to " red " ?

The colors are somewhat similiar, but Transportation's red is generally darker, hence it's offical name of "brick red". The 1st Army patch is decidedly the "Ordnance" shade.

Its also a matter of when the colors were used and what those branch's units were at the time.

Transporation Corps did not come into existance until 31 July 1942, yet this "so-called" Transportation color inster 1st Army patches exist in decidedly pre-war "woolie" styles with the exact same colors as your fully embroidered version.

• 3 months later...
WorldWarPatches

A listing of the colors center first and piping second.

Infantry - blue

Engineers - red & white

Artillary - red

Chemical - cobalt blue & golden yellow

Medical - maroon & white

Quartermaster - buff

Military police - yellow & green (there is a reverse, green and yellow, variation

Finance - silver gray & golden yellow

Signals - orange & white

ordinannce - crimsen & yellow

Cavalry - yellow

Detached enlisted mans list - grass green

transport - red & yellow

Aviation - blue & orange

Headquarters personel - olive drab

Armored forces - green & white

Tank destroyer - orange & black

West Point cadre - white & yellow

Hi Chuck. where might I ask did this list come from. I have 4 books showing color inserts and not 2 have the same info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I was wondering if there is a greenback "ribbed weave" version of these 1st Army insert patches? I notice that the greenbacks I have so far are the "flat" version, non-ribbed weave. So is it possible that there would be 4 "versions" of each one of these colors? Ribbed weave white back & GB, and the "flat" version in both white back and GB?

Here's an example of the 1st Army engineer patch. "flat" version white back and GB, ribbed weave white back. Would there be a ribbed weave GB to complete this "set"?

post-110693-0-32752000-1424757724.jpg

post-110693-0-22344300-1424757744.jpg

• 5 years later...
Persian Gulf Command

Bringing back this thread on First Army Patches and their color inserts.  Is there an order of rarity or difficulty to locate regarding these colors?  Also, where are the the Woolies as compared to the fully embroidered patches, as far as rarity and difficulty to locate?

Thanks in advance for any information provided!

Second the request... I would also find it interesting to know a rarity ranking from those that actively seek these insert variations out.

Being the Interwar nut that I am convinced that the examples made of wool applications are a hell of alot harder to find on the loose and I yet to find any on 1926 lapel coat.

IMG_20190526_073217493~2.jpg

Barrel backed tailor-made examples are even more difficult to find and you ask what are difficult to find try locating the two to the right.

20200412_080015~2.jpg

To actually answer your exact question the answer for me is Armor,Aviation , Finance ,West Point,maybe Chaplain. The first three no question are tops on all lists. hope this is of help. If you are familiar with ASMIC's Most Wanted you will find this information within and more; it is a good source for collectors.

Mort

Persian Gulf Command
3 minutes ago, mortaydc60 said:

To actually answer your exact question the answer for me is Armor,Aviation , Finance ,West Point,maybe Chaplain. The first three no question are tops on all lists. hope this is of help. If you are familiar with ASMIC's Most Wanted you will find this information within and more; it is a good source for collectors.

Mort

Mort, Thank you for the information confirming the difficulty of locating the 1st Army Armor and Aviation Color Centers.  What are your feelings regarding Woolies vs. FE as far as more difficult to find and/or "Most Wanted"?

I would say Woolies first than FE. Don't disregard to what John says also especially the barrel shaped patches. The area that John focus is on is very difficult to know, find, and to be honest not appreciated enough by enough of the collecting community, again just my opinion.

Mort

12 minutes ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

Which branch is the black insert for?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Great question. Speculation is on chaplain corps I believe. Or error. Or test run. 

Insigina Hunter

The last time one came up (which was years ago from the post OSC is referencing) it was represented and discussed about as a chaplains patch I believe.. my memory is not the best

P.s. I never got either one of them but was Definitely watching this auction as well

On 12/25/2012 at 8:40 PM, 88thcollector said:

Hi,

I don't recall seeing any of the machine made insert patches in used condition. Were they actually worn much?

ASMIC has published multiple photos of the patches being worn in "Gary's Photo Gallery" (in The Trading Post) as well as a cover. Most are pre- to early war but one is definitely post-war.