Painted Leather Jacket - Finally!

Nkomo

Really, I believe I would have saved my money and bought the real deal. Nothing beats the A-2. To me, this is nothing more than a civilian made commercial jacket with a picture painted on it. Really in no way compares to an A-2 or the history.

I used to be stationed at Incirlik and all the shops made items like this. Just show them a pic and they could make anything.

Ron

Wow. Thanks. I appreciate the upbeat and kind comments. I guess in the end, I'm the one who has to be pleased with the item.

Great jacket! I've never seen a modern-use painted jacket before, so this is definitely new for me! Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the kind words, Dave.

it reminds me of a modern version of a tour jacket like they made during the Vietnam war , seems to be more of a souvineer jacket brought back by an airman

still a pretty cool piece and one of a kind tour jacket

I totally agree with you, BOLO. Definitely a souvinier jacket brought back by someone who deployed to Northern Watch. I am pleased with it and it fits nicely into my collection.

Painted jackets are not allowed. Any embellishments other than your name tag and command patch are forbidden. That's why chits are sewn inside. The example here is just for casual wear; it's not a military item.

Ian

Obviously it is not a military item, as it was made in a leather shop in Turkey. It is merely a painted souvinier jacket from someone who deployed to Northern Watch.

I guess if you like kind of clothing, it is fine, depending on what you paid for it. I always thoght the "in country" civilian painted or emblellished jackets were gawdy looking. Young airman always bought them thinking it made them look more like the older vets.

Seriously? I come on here and show something that I received and you have to continue to add your negative two cents worth? I mean you totally lambasted the jacket a few posts back. We get it....you don't like it.

vintageproductions

Wow, I think its a great jacket, and I personally collect 'Off-Duty Gawdy Looking" type items. I really like the embroidered souvenir jackets from the 50's & 60's, the embroidered baseball squadron caps made in Japan during the 50's, and I have a lot of "souvenir" type items from all the West Asia deployments, and you know what, I don't give a rat's rear if someone else on here doesn't like them. I do and that's all that matters.

Must make some people on here feel good, to slag someone else's items, that they are stoked to own, and have wanted for awhile.

Let's hope the original poster didn't mean it they way it is written, but then I guess one comment we could understand that, but when they make two comments, I guess we know where they stand..

Obviously it is not a military item, as it was made in a leather shop in Turkey. It is merely a painted souvinier jacket from someone who deployed to Northern Watch.

No need to be so defensive. I was simply answering a question. It's a shame people get so riled up over a jacket (and, no, I'm not referring to you, nkomo).

No need to be so defensive. I was simply answering a question. It's a shame people get so riled up over a jacket (and, no, I'm not referring to you, nkomo).

Thanks for commenting. I understand your comment and it is hard not to get defeinsive when people post purely negative comments on an item that you are excited about (not you).

The jacket is simply a commercial leather flight jacket made by a leather company in Turkey. It was a souvenir that some airman bought to wear at home or when hanging out at the base. I just thought the painting was pretty cool and it is the first piece I have from Op. Northern Watch.

To me, I put this flight jacket into the same category as the direct embroidered DCU hats that so many soldiers or airmen had made up during Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/ GWOT. Cool to look at, but totally unauthorized for wear.

I think it's a great score. You're right when you say that you're the one who has to be happy with it. But in the end, it looks like a lot of others like it as well!! All around, this is a great jacket. Congrats!

I think there's a need for some mutual respect here. We all have our particular interests and what floats one person's boat might not float another's, but that's no reason to publicly criticize it/them in a rather brusque manner! Sensible, reasoned debate about our collectibles is an integral part of this forum...we all know and accept that...but it should always be done in a civil and objective manner. Just my take on it.

BTW...I think that F-16 jacket-art makes for a great comparison with the P-51 jacket-art of yesteryear. A very American art-form still alive and well in the 21st century! ;)

That's a great jacket indeed- what a great Christmas gift. I've always been told "if you don't have any thing nice to say.......everyone knows this.........we'll everyone should know this Thanks for sharing

Nice piece Arch! And a gift from your wife as well? Congrats! Loads better than neckties and socks! Thanks for showing here. Ignore the hate; sad but some folks just don't get it.

my opinion is i still like the jacket,it reminds me of a vietnam period party suit/jacket.i would buy it and add it too my oef/oif collection with no problem.the only thing that would make it better was an id,myself i like items with an id but i would really like to have this jacket as it represents a certain period in history.................dave

Yes, I made 2 comments on the jacket. If that is the jacket he likes, then that is all the better, I was merely giving my opinion on it. If he didn't want comments, don't post it or if he only wanted "likes" comments, then say that is what he wants. Don't become sensitive over 2 comments that don't care for that that type.

Ron

I collect A-2's and although this isn't an A-2 it is a cool as beans jacket. I would love to own this. It is what it is and it is neat!

Ronnie

I have a couple of the older nylon versions from my own time and like the party shirts and suits they helped identify us with our particular organization. That stuff all got put away when I came back to civilization and I suspect this jacket is just an updated version of the same thing.

It's good to see people still make these souveners. I have cruised a lot of the old shops outside the gates in WestPac and saw sketch books going back to the Korean War of embroidery designs that I hope still exist. Your jacket is a very good reminder how our troops continue to create memories for themselves the rest of us may not understand.

Nice piece.

nkomo -- I have a theatre-made Northern Watch t-shirt to go with your jacket there... yours for the cost of shipping if you'd like an "instant grouping." It's actually got "Incirlik" on the tag. PM me if you'd like it!

• 4 weeks later...