Painted Leather Jacket - Finally!

Nkomo

Since I started collecting militaria 28 years ago, I have always been after a painted leather flight jacket from WW2, but the prices on them have always been well over what I could afford. I have always enjoyed looking at other collectors jackets and viewed them as pieces of art work just as much as them being militaria.

While surfing Ebay last week, I happened upon a beautiful painted leather flight jacket. I looked at the price and thought I was seeing things. The price was well within my price range, so after a few minutes of contemplation and discussing it with my wife, I submitted a best offer. By the next morning my offer had been accepted and my wife said "Merry Christmas". This was her gift to me.

Obviously, you can tell this is not a WW2 era leather jacket. In fact, it is from the 90's. The jacket was made (possibly custom made) by Pop's Leather in Incirlik, Turkey for a deployed Airman or Air Force Officer, who was part of Operation Northern Watch. From what I understand, Pop's Leather has been making leather jackets for pilots from various nations since 1960 and their shop is just outside Incirlik Air Base in Adana, Turkey.

The back is painted with a picture of an F-16 (not sure which model) and the words FALCON THUNDER. Underneath the plane it says: GUARDIANS OF THE 36TH PARALLEL N.IRAQ. Operation Northern Watch, the successor to Operation Provide Comfort. was a U.S. European Command Combined Task Force (CTF) charged with enforcing its own no-fly zone above the 36th parallel in Iraq. Its mission began on January 1st 1997 and ended March 17th, 2003.

Also, there is a numbered blood chit sewn into the inside jacket. The blood chit is written in Arabic, Farsi, Turkish, Kurdish, and English.

All in all, I am very happy to be able to add a painted leather jacket to the collection and was even more happy that it was from a time period that I actively collect. Hope you enjoy.

Operation Northern Watch link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Northern_Watch

001.JPG

Blood chit and Pop's Leather tag. No size anywhere to be found on this jacket, so I am thinking it might be tailor made for an individual.

005.JPG

Nice jacket. It like the fact it just " feels original" and is not someones fantasy made up jacket,

Kurt

Thanks, Kurt. I liked the way it looked when I saw it on Ebay and liked the used look even more in person.

Now there is something you don't see everyday.

Very cool that it is theater made.

Paint job is very well done.

I normally don't collect flight jackets, but I couldn't pass this one up.

Really, I believe I would have saved my money and bought the real deal. Nothing beats the A-2. To me, this is nothing more than a civilian made commercial jacket with a picture painted on it. Really in no way compares to an A-2 or the history.

I used to be stationed at Incirlik and all the shops made items like this. Just show them a pic and they could make anything.

Ron

it reminds me of a modern version of a tour jacket like they made during the Vietnam war , seems to be more of a souvineer jacket brought back by an airman

still a pretty cool piece and one of a kind tour jacket

it reminds me of a modern version of a tour jacket like they made during the Vietnam war , seems to be more of a souvineer jacket brought back by an airman

still a pretty cool piece and one of a kind tour jacket

I'd agree with that. This jacket has no provision for a name/rank tag etc., so it was quite likely a private purchase item worn "off duty". A USAF issue A2 would have velcro panels to attach the various insignia. I wonder what the current Air Force "official" policy is with regard to painted jackets?

I guess if you like kind of clothing, it is fine, depending on what you paid for it. I always thoght the "in country" civilian painted or emblellished jackets were gawdy looking. Young airman always bought them thinking it made them look more like the older vets.

I'd agree with that. This jacket has no provision for a name/rank tag etc., so it was quite likely a private purchase item worn "off duty". A USAF issue A2 would have velcro panels to attach the various insignia. I wonder what the current Air Force "official" policy is with regard to painted jackets?

Painted jackets are not allowed. Any embellishments other than your name tag and command patch are forbidden. That's why chits are sewn inside. The example here is just for casual wear; it's not a military item.

Ian