USS Sanctuary jacket..Nurse?

joefriday22

I agree... not messed with, apparently intact, and definitely from a specific period of time. Excellent item... thanks for sharing!

This is a a GREAT jacket and love the theater made patches.Have never seen the Tomato patch, very cool.Nice find.She was a staff nurse and nursing instructor at Pittston Hospital and School of Nursing until 1966. She then joined the Navy as a Lieutenant in the Navy Nurse Corps, serving on active duty for 29 years at a variety of duty stations, including wartime service on the hospital ship USS Sanctuary and Da Nang during the Vietnam War and as Director, Nursing Services on the hospital ship USNS Comfort during the first Gulf War.She died from the after affects of a rare brain tumor caused by agent orange and was the most decorated Navy nurse on active duty when she was retired. Her nickname in the Pentagon was the "Irish Gladiator" because she never gave up attempting to do what was right.

Awesome jacket.

Here is a link to a Sanctuary grouping I had.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/149624-vietnam-navy-nurse-lt-commander-megonnell/

She wouldn't let go of the Tomatos patch she had.

The patch is a reference to the female nurses of a particular ward on the Sanctuary.

Awesome jacket.

Here is a link to a Sanctuary grouping I had.

http://www.usmilitar...nder-megonnell/

She wouldn't let go of the Tomatos patch she had.

The patch is a reference to the female nurses of a particular ward on the Sanctuary.

Thank you. Great grouping you've got.

Firefighter..thank you so much for the very interesting information. I tried searching the name but didn't find anything.

Thanks again Sirs.

Merry Christmas,

Rob

You are welcome.The only info I could find was her obit.Try googling, 'juel ann longhney'.There is a nice picture of her in her dress uniform.If you ever want to part with it please keep me in mind.

The interesting thing about this jacket is that it is actually an Enlisted Mans Jacket. I was issued this type of Jacket when I enlisted, and this is how most of them looked as I remember, patches and a Ships UIM (rocker). None of which were actually authorized, but worn any way ("What'r they Gonna' Do, Send Me to "Nam"?"). Loved these jackets.

They certainly looked much better than the Dark Blue Utility Jacket that replaced them.

And they bring a good price now.

Dang, I wore one for a work jacket out in the yard.

That is a great looking jacket Rob!! I really love the patches and the story of the Nurse who wore the jacket. I recently found an old vintage USS Sanctuary Officers cap from the 60s maybe 70s. I don't understand the green color of this cap. Is the green color possibly Medical related or something else? Thoughts anybody??

post-5589-0-71570500-1400514946.jpg

post-5589-0-98772000-1400514952.jpg

• 1 year later...

THE GREEN CAP WAS FOR THE HOSPITAL DIVISION OF THE SHIP, I SERVED ON ICU IN 1969. RED WAS FOR ENGEERING, AND BLUE WAS FOR SHIP COMPANY. MY GREEN CAP WAS CHEWED BY RATS WHILE STORED, THANKS.