WWII NADA Ordnance Regiments TO&E

CampSutton

Hi all,

First of all: Merry Christmas!!

I need your help... Could you complete the information:

John Deere Battalion:

The Headquarters is called: HQ and Service Company (H&S Company) is commanded by the
Company E is also known as 3258 Ordnance Base Artillery & Fire Control Company (3258 O.B.A. & F.C.) is ordered by the 
Company F is also known as 3108 Ordnance Base Artillery & Fire Control Company (3108 O.B.A. & F.C.) is ordered by the 
G Company is also known as 3158 Ordnance Base Artillery & Fire Control Company (3158 O.B.A. & F.C.) and is commanded by Captain Howard T Kelsey.
H Company is also known as 3208 Ordnance Base Artillery & Fire Control Company (3208 O.B.A. & F.C.) and is commanded by the

Thank you so much in advance!!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I really appreciate this thread, and all the information that people have put together. 

I'm looking for information on this topic, in order to fill in the blank spot in the WW2 experience of my husband's father.

Can some of you help fill in some of those blanks?

His name was Hilary Martin. He was at the forefront of forming the NADA west battalion. He was Captain, 2nd Battalion, Ordinance Dept, 301st Regiment.

I found this information through a newspaper article, and that he was aiding with recruiting for the battalion in San Francisco, and across the west. It was exciting to find this info, but then the trail is cold. He was a Packard sales manager in SF before the war, and returned to his job afterward.

Can anyone add some info? It looks like some of you have access to some important documents that might help.

Thanks in advance!

Mad

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello, I "throw a bottle in the sea": I am looking for information on the John Deere Battalion, including the names of the officers of the various companies. Who could help me? Thank you so much!

• 11 months later...

My Dad, John L. Ripple, and uncle, Leonard Shannon were both in the John Deere Battalion, 3158 Ordinance Base Artillery and Fire Control Company of the 608 Ordinance Base Armored Maintenance Battalion from 1942 to1946.  Currently I live in Greensboro,  NC.  I’ve considered making a trip with some family members to retrace the overseas posts of the Battalion.  Any information that can be shared on where and when they were stationed would be greatly appreciated.  There is mention in this thread, from several years ago, from Jack Clay, screen name CAMP SUTTON, that he purchased on EBay, 6 reels of 16mm film of the "John Deere Battalion" from their baisc to California to Europe.   He mentions that he had them coverted to DVD.  Does anyone have the DVD that they could copy or share?  I’ve left messages for Mr. Clay but the email address is very old.  

Thanks for any help!

Dan Ripple

• 1 month later...

I’ve just recently come upon a photo album of T/4 William Brezina of the 542nd maintenance CO. There’s a good amount of unit information during the war if anybody is interested in recording it for future reference. 

• 1 year later...

On the occasion of November 11th, Armistice Day and Veterans Day in the USA, I'm pleased to announce the release of my new book: John Deere Battalion: 608th Ordnance Base Armament Maintenance Battalion.

The fruit of almost 7 years of research, contacts with veterans' families and company archives, and nearly four years of writing and rewriting, this is my 3rd book on this period of history that fascinates me.

You'll find it on Amazon websites, including Amazon.com:

John Deere Battalion: 608th Ordnance Base Armament Maintenance Battalion: Van Daele, Xavier: 9798859989614: Amazon.com: Books

• 3 months later...
Fred Limp

I am researching my father, Bill LImp, who joined as one of the NADA units in Indiana and trained at Camp Sutton as part of the 301. I have a wide-roll photo of the group with handwritten info that looks like "Co R. 301st Ordnance, " Camp Sutton N.C. I suspect it is a "K," but not sure. I have a second Camp Sutton photo with the caption:"Officers of CO S (it is clearly an S) 301ST ORD REGT CAMP SUTTON N. C. CAPT J.O. BARNES COMDG 8-15-42" I have both these in digital form and am happy to email, etc, to anyone who wants a copy. I am trying to find additional details on my father's service in North Africa and France. He was in the hospital for some time at the end of his African service and before France with the 7th. I also have some photos from Camp McCoy later that winter and MANY from his service in NA, France, and Germany.  BTW - I did reach out to Carlisle, and they weren't interested in the photos as they were just photos with no accompanying info. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this thread is active but can anyone provide me with any info of the 447 Ordnance company H.A.M. My grandfather was in that unit and was told he was a medic.