WWII NADA Ordnance Regiments TO&E

CampSutton

waynefinleyskidJDB

Hi,

I am new to this site and came across it while looking for information on the John Deere Battalion 303. My dad was Wayne W Finley of Silvis Illinois. He worked at John Deere Wagon works in Moline Illinois. He was in the Ordnance Regiment in WWII. He spent most of his time in Belgium and England. I started working on Ancestry.com and while going through his old Army stuff came across the 1st. Reunion book. held in 1955 in Moline. This was 2 years before I was born but I remember in later years going with my mom and dad to the reunions.

Sadly Dad was killed in 1976 by a drunk driver. I was only 19 so I never had a chance to really know him as an adult or to share my kids with him. So I guess this is my way of getting to know a little more about him. If anyone is still out there from JDB and wants to share pictures or is someone knew my dad I would love to hear stories. One of his best friends from the army was Roy Loomis of Arkansas. After dad was gone I even went to one of the reunions with my husband and one year old son to see Roy and Grace.

I guess I will sign off for now. I can send pictures from the reunion book if anyone is interested.

Thanks so much

Alice Finley Call

Hi,

I am new to this site and came across it while looking for information on the John Deere Battalion 303. My dad was Wayne W Finley of Silvis Illinois. He worked at John Deere Wagon works in Moline Illinois. He was in the Ordnance Regiment in WWII. He spent most of his time in Belgium and England. I started working on Ancestry.com and while going through his old Army stuff came across the 1st. Reunion book. held in 1955 in Moline. This was 2 years before I was born but I remember in later years going with my mom and dad to the reunions.

Sadly Dad was killed in 1976 by a drunk driver. I was only 19 so I never had a chance to really know him as an adult or to share my kids with him. So I guess this is my way of getting to know a little more about him. If anyone is still out there from JDB and wants to share pictures or is someone knew my dad I would love to hear stories. One of his best friends from the army was Roy Loomis of Arkansas. After dad was gone I even went to one of the reunions with my husband and one year old son to see Roy and Grace.

I guess I will sign off for now. I can send pictures from the reunion book if anyone is interested.

Thanks so much

Alice Finley Call

Hello,

My father in law served with the John Deere Battalion (608th Ordnance Battalion) during the Second World War. It's my understanding the 2nd Bn, 303 Ord Regt. was redesignated the 608 Ord Bn. He was in the HQ and Service Company. I have a directory of the unit from what is likely 1945. I found your father listed in it. Wayne Finley at the time this was printed was a Tech 3 in the 3158 OB A&FC Company. I'm not sure what that stands for. It also has his street address in Silvas, Illinois.

I also found Roy Loomis. He was a Tech 4 in the same company.

I hope this helps a little.

Tom

waynefinleyskidJDB
Hello,

My father in law served with the John Deere Battalion (608th Ordnance Battalion) during the Second World War. It's my understanding the 2nd Bn, 303 Ord Regt. was redesignated the 608 Ord Bn. He was in the HQ and Service Company. I have a directory of the unit from what is likely 1945. I found your father listed in it. Wayne Finley at the time this was printed was a Tech 3 in the 3158 OB A&FC Company. I'm not sure what that stands for. It also has his street address in Silvas, Illinois.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the information. I had some problems getting back on the site because I forgot I put JDB at the end of my user name! Well I got back. Is there anyway you could send me an e-mail of the pages? I would love to see it.

I am looking for another copy of the reunion book if anyone is interested in selling one

I also have no problem in posting copies of the pages of my book on line if that does not go against some rule for anyone who doesn't have one.

Alice Finley Call

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the information. I had some problems getting back on the site because I forgot I put JDB at the end of my user name! Well I got back. Is there anyway you could send me an e-mail of the pages? I would love to see it.

I am looking for another copy of the reunion book if anyone is interested in selling one

I also have no problem in posting copies of the pages of my book on line if that does not go against some rule for anyone who doesn't have one.

Alice Finley Call

Alice,

PM sent

• 1 year later...
Hello,

Tom

I would guess A&FC = Armament and Fire Control.

Mike

CampSutton
I would guess A&FC = Armament and Fire Control.

Mike

The "A" stands for Artillery. The 3158th Ordnance Base Artillery & Fire Control Company is the full title.

The Battalion was the 608th Ordnance Base Armored Maintenance Battalion.

The "A" stands for Artillery. The 3158th Ordnance Base Artillery & Fire Control Company is the full title.

The Battalion was the 608th Ordnance Base Armored Maintenance Battalion.

I have seen from my Father in Law's things from World War II refering to the battalion as the 608th OBAM.

• 1 year later...

My dad was in the 3265th ordnance base depot co, 615th brigade. I guess those numbers came after the re-numbering. He never said he was at Camp Sutton, only told me that he trained at Santa Anita in California. He entered active service in Sept 1942. The vast majority of the men in his company were from Michigan, and my dad worked for an auto dealer before he went into the army, so I'm sure he was part of the NADA effort.

I have photos from his service on my site: www.michiganwwiivets.wordpress.com

To date I have not seen any element of the 305th Ordnance Regiment at Camp Sutton. There were five of these Ordnance Regiments (301st thru 305th) before they restructured to the Group structure. The first four did basic training at Camp Sutton. The 305th did basic at Santa Anita as you confirm with your father's service.

The forth battalions still confuse me some. During the recruiting for the first two, the 301st from the western United States and the 302nd from the eastern United States, Colored soldiers were recruited to form the 4th (supply) battalions of these regiments. When they arrived at Camp Sutton they were assigned to the 100th Ordnance Battalion. White soldiers were moved into the 4th Battalions of the regiments and thus early confusion of what happened in their numbering. A search on FOLD3 shows the World War Two history of the 100th Ordnance Battalion.

Thanks for posting the information on your father's service. I will check out what you have posted.

Jack

• 1 year later...

My father was a member of the 608th O.B.A.M Battalion and 3158 company. He was working for John Deere when he got drafted. I have a photo album that was made up for the company. I can scan photo in the album if you like.

My father was a member of the 608th O.B.A.M Battalion and 3158 company. He was working for John Deere when he got drafted. I have a photo album that was made up for the company. I can scan photo in the album if you like.

I am always looking for photographs and information on the units that trained at Camp Sutton. Is the book you have the Red one done for the ten year reunion? I have a copy of this one. If you would like a copy of the DVD that shows their graduation at Camp Sutton and the train ride to California PM me with your address and I will send it FREE. You should be able to see your father in this film. Send me a picture of him and name and I will check my files and see if I have anything on him.

Jack Clay (CampSutton)

• 1 month later...

During WWII our government combined with the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) to establish and man Ordnance Regiments. It was easier to strip the factories than train them from the ground up. The Regiments were numbered from 301st to the 305th. They were established and trained at Camp Sutton, NC. (I have not seen proof the 305th was at Camp Sutton.) Trained in pairs were the 301st with the 302nd and later the 303rd and 304th. I have seen proof of this.

These were four battalion regiments that were later restructured in a group concept.

The 301st became the 601st, 602nd and 603rd Ordnance Base Battalions. The 302nd became the 604th, 605th and 606th. The same continues with the other regiments. The fourth battalion of each regiment were numbered into different independent ordnance Companies.

Anyone out there have a TO&E for the Ordnance Regiment? Or of the Battalions after the restructure. I am also looking for a source for the idents of the independent companies.

On Ebay a while back I purchased 6 reels of 16mm film of the "John Deere Battalion" from their baisc to Califoria to Europe. I got them coverted to DVD if someone out there is working this unit. I guess I should say the 2nd Battalion of the 303rd Ordnance Regiment. Later known as the 608th Ordnance Base Armored Maintenance Battalion. I also have numerous photographs of some of the units. I am always looking for more.

Jack

I would really like a copy of this dvd you have made. My grandpa was in this 608th john deere battalion. Im looking for any info i can get. His name is Cletus Turnwald. He was a sgt. Was in the battle of the bulge under patton.

I would really like a copy of this dvd you have made. My grandpa was in this 608th john deere battalion. Im looking for any info i can get. His name is Cletus Turnwald. He was a sgt. Was in the battle of the bulge under patton.

On the" Directory", done at the end of the war, your grandfather is listed in the 3258th Ordnance Base Depot Company, 608th Ordnance Base Armament Maintenance Battalion. When formed at Camp Sutton, North Carolina it was Company "E", 2nd Battalion, 303rd Ordnance Regiment Base. This is known as the "2nd John Deere Battalion. Real confusing in research since there was only one John Deere Battalion. Unlike the third battalion of the 303rd which was the "Harvester Battalion" of which there were two battalions from International Harvester both forever mixed under the name "Harvester Battalion."

I am in the middle of changing computers. Old one crashed which had the program I made the DVD's with on it. New computer does not have a program that is compatable so I am looking now to get a new program. I should have it soon and will be able to make a copy for you. PM me your address or my email is [email protected].

Jack Clay (CampSutton)

• 3 weeks later...

On the" Directory", done at the end of the war, your grandfather is listed in the 3258th Ordnance Base Depot Company, 608th Ordnance Base Armament Maintenance Battalion. When formed at Camp Sutton, North Carolina it was Company "E", 2nd Battalion, 303rd Ordnance Regiment Base. This is known as the "2nd John Deere Battalion. Real confusing in research since there was only one John Deere Battalion. Unlike the third battalion of the 303rd which was the "Harvester Battalion" of which there were two battalions from International Harvester both forever mixed under the name "Harvester Battalion."

I am in the middle of changing computers. Old one crashed which had the program I made the DVD's with on it. New computer does not have a program that is compatable so I am looking now to get a new program. I should have it soon and will be able to make a copy for you. PM me your address or my email is [email protected].

Jack Clay (CampSutton)

Very good thanks! My email is [email protected]

• 6 months later...

Great information. Do you have any information on the 553rd Ordnance Company and who they were attached to during the war. They appear to be wearing armored patches. I am not sure where they trained at but I have a few pictures of them in training.

• 1 year later...

My dad, William Matz (39-177-861), was an artillery sight repairman in the 289th Medium Maintenance Company serving in the New Guinea, Luzon and Southern Philippines Campaigns along with the occupation of Japan. He was in Maryland in July of 1943 when he was called home for his father's funeral. I have his discharge certificate and a large number of photos and the few stories he told me before he died, but the Army has none of his training records. Do you have any records for him in Ordnance school? Thanks for your help.

Steve Matz

My dad, William Matz (39-177-861), was an artillery sight repairman in the 289th Medium Maintenance Company serving in the New Guinea, Luzon and Southern Philippines Campaigns along with the occupation of Japan. He was in Maryland in July of 1943 when he was called home for his father's funeral. I have his discharge certificate and a large number of photos and the few stories he told me before he died, but the Army has none of his training records. Do you have any records for him in Ordnance school? Thanks for your help.

Steve Matz

Sorry Steve. I have only worked on units that did their training at Camp Sutton. I don't think your father's unit was ever at Camp Sutton.

Jack

Sorry Steve. I have only worked on units that did their training at Camp Sutton. I don't think your father's unit was ever at Camp Sutton.

Jack

Thanks for responding, Jack. I appreciate it.

Steve.

• 3 months later...

Jack Clay:<br />A little background. As a replacement,I was assigned to the 3207th Ord Base Small Arms Maintenance Co. in Oct of 1943 which was<br />stationed in Egypt approx 25 miles south of Cairo. The station was called Camp Russell B.Huckstep. It was a huge facility with railroad repair<br />repair shops, a truck assembly line, a general hospital and an US Army Air Force base. A camp newspaper was published weekly. Soon after<br />I arrived there, the paper started to publish a history of the 607th Ord Base Armament Maintenance Bn. Fortunately,I kept the copies of<br />the article all these years.<br />The main thing I want to state is that the 607th nor it's predecessor, the first battalion of the 303rd Ord Regt.(Base) was ever<br />assigned to Camp Sutton. Briefly,the history of the unit goes like this: on July 4th,1942 the 98th Ord Bn was activated at Aberdeen<br />Proving Ground(APG), MD. On July 24th 1942 the unit was redesignated the 1st Bn, 303rd Ord Regt (Base). On July 27th, the unit was<br />changed to the 1st Bn (Detached) 303rd Ord Regt (Base). The personnel of the Bn was made up of men from the Ordnance School and the<br />Ord Replacement Training Center. The Commanding General of the APG stated at the organization day, that this Bn. was "Aberdeen's<br />Own". On Oct 5th,1942, the unit sailed to Egypt on the RMS Mauretania.<br />If you would like more info on the battalion, please let me know. Bob Haff<br />

Bob Haff - Thank you for the information. The 303rd Ordnance Regiment Base was a strange organization. The second battalion was men from the John Deere organizations. The third battalion was men from the International Harvester organization. I have a photograph of Headquarters and Service Company, First Battalion with everyone named. Your posting explains why it is marked Headquarters and Service Company, 1st Bn. (Detached) 303rd Ord. Regt, (Base). Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD.

I would love to get copies of any clippings and/or news letters you may have. I am willing to pay for them. I will send you a e-mail with my contact information and phone number. I would love to talk with you about this unit and your military history.

Jack Clay

• 2 months later...

Hello- I have reviewed this thread and appreciate all of the research that has been completed thus far. I am researching my grandfather's experiences as the 604th Ordinance BAM BN Officer in charge in France: Lt. Col. Matthew H. McKinney. In my research the company/battalion numbering systems and changes as you have described in this thread are very confusing and seem to have prolonged my research. He saved many pictures, letters, and notes of his time there and I believe he really enjoyed the work and the men. I want to create an organizational chart from Eisenhower to him and am finding it difficult because of the number changes and of course, the vast amount of material. Thus far, it is Eisenhower-Henry Benton-Levin Campbell, the latter two are included in collection of pictures are posing with him at his Depot. My grandfather was an auto salesman in Chester, Delaware County, Pennsylvania and owned his dealership (McKinney Motors) and sold Rambler/Nash brand vehicles. I would appreciate any assistance in my quest, direction or advice you can provide. Best regards, Judy McKinney

Hello- I have reviewed this thread and appreciate all of the research that has been completed thus far. I am researching my grandfather's experiences as the 604th Ordinance BAM BN Officer in charge in France: Lt. Col. Matthew H. McKinney. In my research the company/battalion numbering systems and changes as you have described in this thread are very confusing and seem to have prolonged my research. He saved many pictures, letters, and notes of his time there and I believe he really enjoyed the work and the men. I want to create an organizational chart from Eisenhower to him and am finding it difficult because of the number changes and of course, the vast amount of material. Thus far, it is Eisenhower-Henry Benton-Levin Campbell, the latter two are included in collection of pictures are posing with him at his Depot. My grandfather was an auto salesman in Chester, Delaware County, Pennsylvania and owned his dealership (McKinney Motors) and sold Rambler/Nash brand vehicles. I would appreciate any assistance in my quest, direction or advice you can provide. Best regards, Judy McKinney

Judy,

The changes in the organizations and their structure does complicate researching these Affiliated Ordnance Regiments. Your grandfathers

unit was first organized as the First Battalion of the 302nd Ordnance Regiment (Base). It was organized with a Headquarter and Service Company;

Company A; Company B: Company C and Company D. I will go into more details later. I have a copy of the battalion roster done three years after

they were formed in the new structure listing all of the soldiers. I will be happy to share information with you and hope you will do the same.

My email address is [email protected] please contact me there.

Jack Clay (CampSutton)

• 1 year later...
Airborne-Hunter

Recently going through some stuff here and ran across these and thought them appropriate for this topic. I think these came out of an estate sale with a uniform, but I seem to have misplaced that uniform since our evacuation for a wildfire. Nonetheless a nice set

post-1800-0-36376600-1544587865_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 9/6/2009 at 6:44 PM, CampSutton said:

Sorry for the delay in answering. It has not been a good year. Spent twenty days in April in the hospital and have been slowly recovering. I am now back to doing my research. Nice to hear your grandfather was in the John Deere Battalion. Contact me direct at my email address [email protected] and I will see what I have to help you learn about your grandfather's service. The DVD films I talk about in the first posting are each mixtures of silent film clips. Some are in progessive order while others are clips that the soldiers of the unit would understand but are a little hard on the next viewers (example: wedding in Europe: building school ground equipment; motorcycle race; and test firing equipment). My plan is to learn enough about the unit to get all clips identified and then placed in order on one disk.

CampSutton

"example: wedding in Europe: building school ground equipment; motorcycle race; and test firing equipment"

=> The wedding was in Belgium! A officer married with a Belgian girls! Building school, also in Belgium!

Hi, 

I'm new on the forum. I am Belgian and I live not far from the place where the men of the John Deere Battalion were stationed: Manage - Familleureux, Belgium
Full name: 608 Ordnance Base Armored Maintenance Battalion - 3158 Ordnance Base Artillery & Fire Control Company...

I have been researching this unit for a few years with the goal of writing a book about it. I have some views of the time and I can recognize some of the places in my town, including the school and the factory! 

A question the name John Deere Battalion is attributed to the 608 O.B.A.M. Battalion? 

If you have any documents, especially photos to help me illustrate the book? I am also looking for veterans and families of veterans who would like to share their memories with me?