Atlantic Warbirds (a short history)

ATCFlyboy

As a quick introduction, I was offered the opportunity to join the Atlantic Warbirds group in 1992. I had been active with the New England Escadrille group from 1988 until 1991. The New England Escadrille organization produced some great warbird airshow events in those days. I became involved as a grunt and eventually participated in planning, marketing and operating the fall events. After the last NEE airshow in 1992, two of their best multi-engine pilots along with another DC-3 owner formed Atlantic Warbirds. At that time they operated MIss Piggie, a former CAF Dakota which was repainted in D Day colors. Eventually the partners sold Miss Piggie and in 1994 bought a C-54 from the collection in Chandler. AZ. The aircraft was ferried to Lawrence, MA and over the next year restored, polished and repainted. She was featured in several Warbird magazines, notably, the Jan/Feb issue of Warbirds International. When the New England Escadrille put their C-47 (Plunkett's Passion) up for sale, the Atantic Warbirds owners bought her. With six big round engines and two more on the way, something had to give. With a volunteer work force and limited man hours the hand writting was on the wall. By 2000 the decisions were made to sell the 54 to a company involved in a Berlin Airlift movie project that never transpired, the C-47 was sold and the C-45 suffered engine failure and belly landed on a golf course to be sold for scrap. The AW pilots continued to fly for various organization, including David Talachet's group and the Collings Foundation.

Today the old crew stays in touch with several of us (including me) now doing WWII reenacting. We have lost a few wonderful men to the march of time but they are always with us when we get the group together and remember the glory days when we were so lucky to have flown in truly some great airplanes with truly great pilots.

If there is interest I will post additional photos from the 1990s.

I'm proud and happy to share.

post-105974-0-61376200-1356360300.jpg

post-105974-0-23294000-1356360316.jpg

post-105974-0-05813800-1356360334.jpg

post-105974-0-87389400-1356360355.jpg

Great to see a posting on the often over looked ATC aircraft.

Seems like most folks always race to see the fighters and bombers, and

just walk past the lonely transport birds.

Glad to see you were able to enjoy working on and around them for a time.

Best, John