Looking For Ideas-Heavy Gear on Mannequin

p2tharizo

Hello all. Just this morning I finally got around to installing a hook in the ceiling to attach to my circa 1945 USMC mannequin's upper pack. I have thought for a long time that this would solve the issue with the packs sliding down the back and making the belt slide up in the front. I have tried attaching paracord to the pack straps-that didn't work, so I attached it to the belt in the back...that didn't work either! It just pulls up on the belt, but doesn't let it slide down in the front. Anyway, I don't expect you guys to solve my problem, but I'd love to know how other collectors have solved or avoided issues with gear displays? Any ideas are helpful...I think I'm going to give this project a break for a while...I'm getting too frustrated!

Just wondering...have you got something in the pack to fill it out, to appear as if it is full??? What kind of mannequin are you using?? Half torso, full size??

I fitted a 1945 pack, attached to M1923 belt and 1945 suspenders to a full size mannequin years ago and the pack has not moved at all. I filled the pack (both top and bottom) with the postal service air pillows used in packing parcels. They have no weight to them at all and the pack stays put even attached to the belt. I did fill the M1923 belt with dummy ammo in Garand clips, as well as a canteen in the carrier, wire cutter, first aid pouch, so there is weight holding it all in place. Another idea would be to tighten the cartridge belt on the mannequin as tight as you can make it. This would give the whole arrangement some strength and resistance to hold it place

Don't get discouraged, try different things and you will come up with a solution

Plastic cushions like Alonzo mentioned, and styrofoam "chips" or "peanuts" are invaluable for this. You can secure various sized plasic bags and fill them with "chips"; below are bags I use to simulate a loaded Rucksack:

post-3226-0-41598400-1356382925_thumb.jpg

Here is the result (the earlier rod-framed Rucksacks require 4 small bags because of the additional outer pouch)...

post-3226-0-13871000-1356383201.jpg

For Marine Corps M1941 Packs, I use empty cardboard welding wire boxes, which fit perfectly into both upper and lower sections- below is an example:

post-3226-0-82608300-1356383625_thumb.jpeg

Also, you can cobble together a few different boxes or cardboard sheets and create a "custom" pack filler if you don't have anything which fits the shape of your Pack.

Keep us posted. :)

You can just crumple up newspaper, put it in plastic bag and tie that up.

Depending upon how your pack is made you can stick a couple of very thin nails/brads through the back of the belt into the mannequin.

You can just crumple up newspaper, put it in plastic bag and tie that up.

That's how I did my P41 pack display once, worked great.

That's how I did my P41 pack display once, worked great.

Long plastic rain bags for newspapers, stuffed with wads of papers, are great for giving Shelter Half/Poncho Horseshoe Rolls the "full" look.