USAF Lt Col Command Pilot's blue uniform

USMCRECON

I got this in the mail justyesterday from a fellow Forum member and thought I'd post a couple images of it. The only thing it has in the way of an ID is a hand-printed name PROVENCE on one of the inside pocket labels.

post-1107-0-91776400-1356285474.jpg

Here are two pictures of the back of the wings, one is a close-up of the hallmark. U assume this is a post-war Meyer shield but am not sure,

post-1107-0-09094500-1356285662.jpg

post-1107-0-50839000-1356285680.jpg

CNY Militaria

Check with member "Dave". He mentioned in another thread that he once owned this and had a research packet on him. Perhaps he remembers the first name or other details.

Check with member "Dave". He mentioned in another thread that he once owned this and had a research packet on him. Perhaps he remembers the first name or other details.

Yup...I had a bunch of original paper with him too. Sad it all got split up. Ah well..it happens. I can't for the life of me remember where it came from though...I think a local picker. IIRC, I bought it in 2003 or so, and sold it back in 2005 (or 2004?)

Dave

Nice Jacket and ribbon rack.Is the bottom ribbon next to the Korean Service the Canadian WW2 service medal? Was he a fighter pilot?

I don't have any info on him at the moment. Hopefully something on him will turn up. I think that ribbon in question may be the Brit WW-II medal ribbon but I'm not really up on Brit medals.

Here's an odd twist...it has nothing to do with this uniform, but I just got a batch of research in to a US Navy officer who was awarded the Mentioned in Despatches device by the British government in 1945. Thus, as far as I can see it, he would have also been authorized the British War Medal 1939-1945, since this is the only ribbon it could be worn on...even though he never served with or under the British. Interesting, eh?

Here's an odd twist...it has nothing to do with this uniform, but I just got a batch of research in to a US Navy officer who was awarded the Mentioned in Despatches device by the British government in 1945. Thus, as far as I can see it, he would have also been authorized the British War Medal 1939-1945, since this is the only ribbon it could be worn on...even though he never served with or under the British. Interesting, eh?

Curious. Hopefully, if I get a little time after the holidays, I'll look a little deeper into this.

• 4 weeks later...

Do British MID's appear in the London Gazette?.

Matt.

yes all british awards for gallantry and meritous service are gazetted even today

actually dave the MID can be awarded sperate from any campaign medal and is then worn on the left breast of the dress uniform

actually dave the MID can be awarded sperate from any campaign medal and is then worn on the left breast of the dress uniform

I have uniforms that have the MID sewn directly to the uniform where a ribbon would normally be, but if it was issued when no campaign medal was issued, then it is worn directly on the uniform. The 'Queens Commedation' palm is also worn this way. My guess is that there was no MID with this uniform, but more likely he was posted as an enlisted man to an RAF base during the war. No Canadian or overseas ribbons are on this either, so probably he was loaned out in the UK, and not a Canadian. I had a Korean War 1st Cav medical officer uniform that had the RCAMC insignia on the right sleeve and the British Korean war ribbon included with his US Rack. He was a US Doctor assigned to a Canadian ambulance unit in Korea. I also have an RAF uniform bearing the US Air Medal ribbon, but no decorations from the British, only Korean campaign medals. He was an RAF pilot loaned out to the US for the war, so qualified for British Campaign medals and American decorations.

looking at it again, here is another theory. British enlisted man who was in the far east, even possibly Singapore or Maylasia and taken prisoner or hid out. Liberated by the Americans just prior to the surrender and joined up with them, thus qualifying for both the British War medal and the American medals. The single star on the campaign medal indicates to me that either he joined the US forces late in the war, or was even picked up early, and shipped back to the states to train, get his wings and then went back for the occupation. If he never went to college, he may have then lost his commission just prior to Korea, and then got it back, thus making the case for the GCM. I have a similar era Air Force uniform with that exact scenario that I got directly from the pilot. SS and 5 DUC, plus a Major rank in the war, only to be busted back to the ranks in 1947. Got his commission back in 1951 and then retired as a Lt Col.

looking at it again, here is another theory. British enlisted man who was in the far east, even possibly Singapore or Maylasia and taken prisoner or hid out. Liberated by the Americans just prior to the surrender and joined up with them, thus qualifying for both the British War medal and the American medals. The single star on the campaign medal indicates to me that either he joined the US forces late in the war, or was even picked up early, and shipped back to the states to train, get his wings and then went back for the occupation. If he never went to college, he may have then lost his commission just prior to Korea, and then got it back, thus making the case for the GCM. I have a similar era Air Force uniform with that exact scenario that I got directly from the pilot. SS and 5 DUC, plus a Major rank in the war, only to be busted back to the ranks in 1947. Got his commission back in 1951 and then retired as a Lt Col.

In that case though he would also have the 39-45 satr and probibly also the pacific star which this uniform doesnt. The most likely reason the war medal ribbon is on this uniform is that the owner joined the british armed forces served at least 28 then joined american armed forces after december 7th thus earning the british war medal

In that case though he would also have the 39-45 satr and probibly also the pacific star which this uniform doesnt. The most likely reason the war medal ribbon is on this uniform is that the owner joined the british armed forces served at least 28 then joined american armed forces after december 7th thus earning the british war medal

if the owner was originally from Britain, was in the British forces and then joined up with the Americans, he probably would have done so in the UK, but there is not a campaign medal for Europe from the US on here either. If he was a Canadian, there would probably be a Canadian Volunteer service medal as well.

Here is one more. The Pacific service with the single star as shown here is actually for Alaska and the outer islands. He could have been an American from the North West or Alaska, signed up with the RCAF just before Pearl Harbor, then stayed in theater and switched to the American forces after December 7, thus qualifying for 'home' service by the British and a Pacific theater medal from the US.