What Do You Think about this 1/2" Wide Ribbon Set?

CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

I recently got this with some other early Navy 1/2" wide ribbon bars from WWI to WWII, that appeared to go together, mostly duplicates of these ribbons. These three appeared to be of similar construction and style. The bottom two have the fasteners shown to the right.

Is it possible this could be to one man? There are a lot of campaign stars going on here!

Justin

DSCN2200.jpg

DSCN2201.jpg

Well, I'm no expert, Justin, but it looks like a collection to me. If it belonged to one individual, he must have made a significant contribution to the war effort.

I recently bought a CBI tunic that came with a set of ribbons. One appears to be the Africa Star. I don't know how often this British medal was awarded to US personnel. It also has an interesting device that I have no clue about. The Africa Star is on top (also significant?)

post-105974-0-75283800-1356279012.jpg

Looks fine to me...one of the vets I researched had two ETO campaigns and then transferred to the PTO...where he earned stars for EIGHT campaigns! Thoroughly possible!

What is the A on the ADM ribbon?

From the navy.history.mil website:

Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard personnel who served on the following vessels operating in actual or potential belligerent contact with the Axis forces in the Atlantic Ocean between the date set below the ship in the table below are authorized to wear upon the American Defense Service Medal service ribbon, a bronze letter "A" in lieu of the bronze star. Such letter shall be one-fourth inch in height and shall be worn centered on the ribbon. When the "A" is worn, no star shall be worn upon the ribbon (Executive Order No. 8808 of 28 June 1941; N.D.G.O. No. 172 of 20 April 1942).

http://www.history.navy.mil/medals/atlantic.htm

This set has got to belong to one career sailor. Look at the unusual, distinctive stitching on all their reverse sides. I believe it is a 1946-47 transitional assembly, where the 2nd Nicaraguan ribbon bar follows the WW1 Victory. The other 3 place ribbon bar is last, and should be flipped so that the Navy Good Conduct is the last one. The NGC was placed (without stars) after the campaign ribbons before WW2. The 1948 Navy Awards Manual placed it ahead of the campaigns, and finally authorized re-up stars. This NGC ribbon is last but has stars, and IMHO appears to be a transitional assembly. This old salt sure had a busy eventful career.

CNY Militaria

Thank you for the information gentlemen. Here is the rest of the items that came with this set. The pin back set on top is not a 1/2" wide type.

DSCN2202.jpg

DSCN2203.jpg

CNY Militaria

Leonardo, I believe you are correct. Very sharp looking! I am also partial to the two place WWI-WWII Victory bar.

Justin

CNY Militaria

Ok now this is cool!

Based on the seller's location (Lakeland, FL), and one of her past auctions for a 1942 "Crossing the Line" Certificate aboard the USS Wichita named to this individual, and the fact that she has only sold these two military items in the past ,I believe this may be our owner. I have emailed her to try for additional information. Let the research begin!

This image is from a 1977 Lakeland Newspaper.

Springer.png

Great info on the "A".

Sorry for interjecting my ribbons here. I'll try to get more info on the Africa Star on one of the other forums.

Apologies from the recruit.