USCG enlisted visor cap. WWII or post war?

agate hunter

Hey everyone. Picked this cap up today. Need some help as to whether its war time or post war. Only thing that has me wondering is that the chinstrap buttons are plastic. Haven't seen any like that before. The cap badge is just stamped, no hallmarks.

And if anyone can find any info on the owner that would be appreciated. Thanks.

post-10495-0-82583800-1356226885.jpg

post-10495-0-13469000-1356226898.jpg

note in the above pic that the base for screwing the chinstrap button in is clear plastic, not black.

as is the post and backing of the chinstrap buttons. clear plastic.

post-10495-0-92959000-1356227085.jpg

here's his name. if anyone can find any info on him that would be very appreciated.

post-10495-0-14398100-1356227097.jpg

Look's WW2 / Korean War era to me.I am almost positive the badge is for a Petty Officer, PO3-PO1.The CPO is like the Navy except a shield is on the anchor.Nice hat.Condition look's very good.

The cap is for a surfman, Coast Guardsmen who manned shore lifesaving stations. They wore single-breasted blue or white uniforms with shirt and tie instead of jumpers. I would guess late WW2 through mid '50s, too. I don't know when the surfman uniform was eliminated, but I believe the blue combination cap would have been deleted at the same time as the USN, early 1963.

Justin B.

I think the Surfmans badge is a life preserver with crossed oars.

That's right, thanks! My bad memory. The Coast Guard seal was for the Coat Guard Shore Establishment, which was mostly made up of volunteer reservists during the war, I believe. The Shore Establishment cap does not appear in the USCG version of the 1951 USN Uniform regs, so that may narrow things down somewhat.

Justin B.

• 1 year later...