WW2 Operation Market Garden photos

Vincennes

Today at the flea market I bought 21 small (2.25 x 1.5") photographs showing the preparation and start of Operation Market Garden in September 1944. 15 of the snapshots have descriptions on the reverse. These are all amateur snapshots and NOT professional. Three photos show General Eisenhower addressing the troops at Cottesmore, England in August, 1944, many show a parade and presentation ceremony at Saltby, England in August, 44 (1 showing 3 Generals: Gen. Brereton, Gen. Williams, and Gen. Clark and two show Arthur E Tappan getting an award), 5 show the loading of C-47's of the 62nd. Troop carrier Squadron for the invasion of Holland in September, 1944. And one (shown here) shows the flight to Holland. On the back of this photo is written: "To Holland Sept. 44".

These are very small photos and can not be enlarged too much (this scan is at 400dpi), but it is a great collection.

Paul

post-2319-0-24303900-1356212944_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple more photos from the set. I do not know what you want to see, so let me know.

There is NO indication who took the photos, but he obviously participated in the flight to Holland as shown by my earlier photo.

This photo is labeled on the back: "Gen. Brereton, Lt. Col -----, Gen. Williams, Gen. Clark." The first is Lewis Hyde Brereton, Lieutenant-General , Williams is probably Paul L Williams, Major-General, and the Clark is probably Harold Lyman Clark, Brigadier-General.

Paul

post-2319-0-98354900-1356307038_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo labeled: "62 Troop Carrier Sq." The quality is not great, but you can see the big gliders in the background. This was probably taken at Saltby, England in August, 1944 based on other photos in the set.

Paul

post-2319-0-72920400-1356307344_thumb.jpg

I personally like insignia on uniforms, specialized clothing, soldiers equipment, C-47 photos, any equipment and can you show them all ?

Really nice pictures.

In the last picture you see british paratroopers preparing to board the planes, probably for operation Market Garden.

Well the airplane markings match up with the 314th Troop Carrier Group,62nd Squadron and they dropped britsh paratroopers near Arnhem and if I'm correct flew in the Polish Paratroopers as well.