Korean War era US Navy Aviator Side Arms

FJ3Navy

I searched the forum and couldn't find exactly what I am looking for so here goes:

Can anyone give me some info about what type of side arms and holsters Navy pilots used during the Korean war era. Did they use M1911, .38, etc? Also which type of holster (hip or shoulder or either) and were they brown or black?

I know it was just Hollywood, but William Holden played Lt. Harry Brubaker in the 1954 movie "Bridges At Toko-Ri" When he was shot down he had a Smith & Wesson Victory model .38 in a brown shoulder holster.

For whatever that's worth.

I would guess that there were plenty of WW2 dated sgoulder holsters in inventory to be used during Korea as well.\

I knew a guy at one of the local shows who was in supply on a carrier in the early 1960s and he said they were still issueing out gloves and other gear dated from WW2

Wow! You guys are quick. Thanks for the input thus far. I'm trying to put together an authentic era pilot display. It's tough to decided what to use since there is so much conflicting info out there. Right now it is looking like the brown shoulder holster with .38 is winning.

Charlie Flick

FJ3:

The standard sidearm for Navy aviators during the Korean War was the S&W Victory Model, 4 inch barrel in .38 Special. It was carried in one of several holsters. The most commonplace was the russet brown M3 style shoulder holster made by Boyt and LME, as illustrated by Doyler's photo above.

A second type of shoulder holster was also used, but is encountered today much less frequently. It was manufactured in-house at the Naval Air Station in Norfolk and is so marked. It had a waist strap, an ammo slide, and the shoulder strap. It was russet brown, although a few very made in black. This was the type of holster worn by William Holden in the motion picture mentioned above, "Bridges of Toko-Ri". That film was made around 1955 with the complete cooperation of the US Navy, so the equipment seen in the film is very accurate to the period.

The third type used was the unmarked belt holster with the flap. These were made by Brauer Brothers during WW2. Some aviators preferred a holster on the belt rather than the shoulder holster.

Hope that helps you.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

• 4 weeks later...

Avaitors were issued the revolver due to the fact a round was not allowed in the chamber by regulation in the 1911 if not being employed. The avaitor would employ his firearm only in an emergency, which would be after he was out of his airplane/helicopter and possibly injured. Thus, with a possible injury, the revolver could be used with one hand by simply pulling the trigger. A 1911 would require two hands to load.

I remember USN aviators being issued Victory revolvers during Desert Storm. I carried one as a USN Helo aircrewman in the early 1980s. I thought the Navy issued us old Victory revolvers because they were abundant and the USN was too cheap to upgrade or modernize. :huh:

I remember USN aviators being issued Victory revolvers during Desert Storm. I carried one as a USN Helo aircrewman in the early 1980s. I thought the Navy issued us old Victory revolvers because they were abundant and the USN was too cheap to upgrade or modernize. :huh:

IMHO you were well armed with a .38 Special revolver. Revolvers teach you to make your shots count :P

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Cowboy4. Nice photo. I have since purchased an airsoft .38 and modified it with original Victory Model parts. The results are a very fine replica.

Here is a photo of my Victory Model replica. I know it isn't as good as the real thing, so no haters please. I couldn't afford the real deal. Instead I "created" this at a fraction of the cost. It has authentic S&W grips, barrel, hammer, and lanyard ring.

post-104735-0-49176700-1363819261.jpg

Big Al

Unfortunately is does NO longer fire. I had to totally remove the gas cylinder, as well as, many other components to make all my mods work. They used to make a .38 victory model, but they are difficult to find and are almost as expensive as the real thing. :)