Bayonet Storage

skautdog

Please accept my apology if this topic is discussed elsewhere.

What is the recommended manner to store/display bayonets? Should the bayonet be in the scabbard or out of the scabbard? I never store knives or bayonets in a leather case/sheath, but would like insight on how best to store bayonets in, for example, M8, M8A1, etc scabbards.

Thanks!

You are correct, in EVERY regard:

1. DO NOT store ANY weapon in leather; whether in a sheath or holster.

2. Scabbards also present an additional problem: namely "Scabbard Wear", caused by their "retention springs".

I have MANY bayonets, that are in 98%+ condition (instead of nearly 100%) simply because of such wear.

2A. Tag both bayonet and scabbard, (with those 'stringed-marking-tags', to keep them straight), and DO store separately.

3. And, YES; do a "Forum Search", both in the "Preservation" and "Edged Weapons", sub-Forums; you WILL FIND...MUCH Additional Information, is contained; to consider/reflect on.

Don.

Don, thanks for your insight. I'm new to the board and still haven't learned to use all the board's assets.H/E, thanks for answering the use of scabbards when storing bayonets.

Don, thanks for your insight. I'm new to the board and still haven't learned to use all the board's assets.H/E, thanks for answering the use of scabbards when storing bayonets.

"skautdog",

You are quite welcome.

Here is a recent thread on "Knife Storage" that consolidates a great deal of relevant information.

A very thorough discussion on "Preserving leather". You will note quite a 'variety' of advice.

There is MUCH more information available that you will find, kindly shared, from MANY very knowledgeable collectors.

I know that I have personally learned a great deal, from/through the combined expertise and experience of our Forum Membership...

Regards,

Don.

Don, thanks again. Seems as if leather storage/preservation just stays in a , "the more things change, the more..." state. At any rate, I'm in the process of storing my bayonets apart from the scabbards.