F4U Corsair .50 Cal ammo box............

Flightpath

Hi,

I had this and three others (now sold) for a long time but didn't know what aircraft they were from.

One day I was re-reading one of my older aircraft magazines and there they were, in the wing of an F4U Corsair (one of my favorites).

Corsairammobox-1.jpg

When I moved to Norway I used this box to protect some of my (well packed) aircraft instruments.

Cheers,

-John

It's cool, but I wish it had an aircraft Bu.No.marked on it!

The box is very strong and well made, when it is closed you can see that the lid would have been part of the wing's skin and there are some markings on it.

I've been looking at F4U photos to see if the grey and black on the top of the box matches up with anything but no luck yet. This box may have even been an from a RNZAF aircraft so I'm looking at NZ F4U photos too!

Maybe someone on the forum wants to do a trade for something smaller, I don't really have room for this....... I'll see!

cheers,

-John

• 5 years later...

Hi,

after the greedy facebook people did the naughty on everyone I thought I'd re-post the photo of the ammo box............

post-105780-0-68546400-1518123359_thumb.jpg

Hi Jerry,

here's the loading instructions, too bad it has no aircraft BuNo. on it as I think they were an actual part of the aircraft, (the lid forming part of the wing's skin), it only has inspection stamps on it.......

cheers, John

post-105780-0-94352000-1518865647.jpg