V42 on Ebay

SKIPH

Hey Gang! Caught this one for sale yesterday. Ebay # 200866470870. V42, w/ long scabbard. winning bid was $1126. Which is a good deal.Until you look and see the seller is in the Ukraine. I've heard nothing negative about dealers there, but, I'd have been a little leery to bid on it. Someone got a deal if it all pans out. I wish them luck. Am I being a little too skeptical? SKIP

I watched that end this morning and when back and forth whether to buy it. I did not feel the amount of rust on the pommel and wear to the blade matched the apparent lack of wear to the handle leather and the scabbard, which appeared remarkably light colored. That in conjuction with being in the Ukraine made me skeptical.

Another question. How did a V42 get to the Ukraine. Ebay, WW2 vet, German soldier, Russian soldier? Brings a lot to the imagination. SKIP

V42's are everywhere in this day and age as they are not just confined to the U.S. alone. There are knife collectors the world over and who knows when it showed up in the Ukarine. The FSSF was in Italy, France and points north, south, east and west. When the FSSF was broken up, forcemen went into many different Army divisions so who really knows where the knives ended up. Now the big question is, will he receive it from Europe.

I watched this and got scared away by the Ukrain angle. I studied the knfe and sheath and could find nothing blatentlywrong, although I wasn't quite sure about the positioning of the thumbprint in relation to the "Case" stamp. Didn't look quite like the correct ones on the "Reproduction" page.

The thing that really scard me off was his use of an American tape measure. I guess he could easily have bought one off the internet, but don't they use metric in Russia? So why would he have one. Also, his description sounded a little forced, like he was trying to fake lack of knowledge.

I agree w Skip, hell of a deal if real (and if it arrives).

Johan Willaert

The thing that really scard me off was his use of an American tape measure. I guess he could easily have bought one off the internet, but don't they use metric in Russia? So why would he have one.

Doesn't mean a thing as I live in Belgium and use one all the time when I list things for sale or on the board when I know Americans will be watching... Had it for many even pre-internet years and it's dual sided cm/inch

V42- Welcome to the site. I noticed in a later thread you mentioned you were doing an article on the V42. all of us would be interested in your findings. The "Edged Weapons" forum is a great site, with a tremendous breadth of knowledge of US military knives. We welcome your expertise, and are looking forward to some great threads. SKIP

V42- Welcome to the site. I noticed in a later thread you mentioned you were doing an article on the V42. all of us would be interested in your findings. The "Edged Weapons" forum is a great site, with a tremendous breadth of knowledge of US military knives. We welcome your expertise, and are looking forward to some great threads. SKIP

SKIP couldn't have said it better...

My personal greetings, as well.

Regards,

Don.

Hello SKIPH and Don. Thank you for that kind welcome and look forward to future conversations about edged weapons. I have studied the V42 for over thirty years and with plenty on hands on experience of buying, studying and selling, I can answer any question that anyone needs to know about them along with over 40 years experience in the military collecting field. I'm not crazy about repo's as once you know how to identify a real V42, you'll just pass up the repo but it is good to know what is out there. Just have to get the photo's correlated and it's off to the publisher. I'll try to have a copy at this coming SOS show in Louisville, KY, if anyone out there is going to attend. Look me up as I'll have tables there. Thanks again and as I said I'm new to the U.S. Forum and not all that familiar with navigating yet but I'm learning.

Regards, Bill

Little late to the show but I would like to welcome Bill as well.WELCOME aboard Bill

The one in the auction was a very good buy and I see nothing wrong witht he knife or scabbard.Looks like a decent example for the money.

I would have concerns about shipping or recieveing an item from the east as well but with paypal I guess the buyer would be protected??

Hello SKIPH and Don. Thank you for that kind welcome and look forward to future conversations about edged weapons. I have studied the V42 for over thirty years and with plenty on hands on experience of buying, studying and selling, I can answer any question that anyone needs to know about them along with over 40 years experience in the military collecting field. I'm not crazy about repo's as once you know how to identify a real V42, you'll just pass up the repo but it is good to know what is out there. Just have to get the photo's correlated and it's off to the publisher. I'll try to have a copy at this coming SOS show in Louisville, KY, if anyone out there is going to attend. Look me up as I'll have tables there. Thanks again and as I said I'm new to the U.S. Forum and not all that familiar with navigating yet but I'm learning.

Regards, Bill

Bill,

I am CERTAIN that many members would appreciate purchasing a copy of your "V-42" book, when available.

I would consider posting your book on, BOTH of, these USMF sub-Forums:

MILITARIA BOOKSTORE

AND ALSO

FS Books, Photos, Ephemera, & Research Material

While I would personally prefer to purchase directly from 'on' the Forum (FS Books...); the Amazon-linked (MILITARIA BOOKSTORE) may provide your book with a lot more potential exposure.

Thank you, and the best in your endeavors!

Regards,

Don.

My curiosity is starting to peak. How of my you guys have V42s? I have none, and have only been lucky enough to handle 2,or 3. SKIP