What ammo pouches were used in Viet Nam ?

JimM

I just read the excellent post by "SgtMonroe" on the ammo pouches used in the last Viet nam campaign - the Lincloe.

Forgive my ignorance, but please tell me (and show me) exactly what ammo pouches were used in Viet Nam.

I have collected WWII field gear since 1952, but only recently expanded my interest to the Viet Nam period.

I expect your info and photos will help many collectors, especially us "newbys" ! Many Thanks,

JimM

donation2013.gif

Hey Jim,

The standard Army ammo pouch is the m1956 ammo pouch. (Canvas)

The standard USMC pouch is the m1961 (single mag) pouch (canvas), however lots of marines got their hands on m1956 pouches later in the war

Then there's the nylon m1969 pouch (nylon)

Sorry no pictures right now. 2:45 am and I'm in bed on my phone. Craig has some really great threads on Vietnam gear and ammo pouches, have a look in the reference area.

J

There were many types, but there were a few that stand out.

M1956 ammo pouch. Primarily for the M14, but was made for all small arms in use in 1956. Later they used with M16 mags with a sock stuffed in the bottom. At some point the hardshell sides were changed to softside for more room to jam stuff in.

USMilitariaForSale015E.jpg

M1956 shorty ammo pouch. This is for M16 20 round mags.

M1956M16.jpg

M1967 shorty ammo pouch, Basically the same thing in Nylon.

OLIVE%20DRAB%20M1967%2020%20ROUND%20MAG%20POUCH%201.JPG

M1961 single M14 ammo pouch, the Marines used this. It used an older snap design originally used for M1 carbine pouches.

nam63_pouch.jpg

There were other types, but they were much harder to find. The 30 round M16 mags really didn't make it to SE asia in any quantity.

Regarding the M56 pouch intened for the M14 magazines, I never heard the "sock in the bottom" part, but a friend who was 1st Air Cav in Vietnam told me they would put a magazine horiontally across on top of the vertical ones. I beleive he said 4 vertically, then the 5th on top. That would be 100 rounds in one M56 pouch.

Always interested in purchasing items pertaining to the 505 Parachute Infantry Regiment in WWII (82nd Airborne Div.). Please send me a PM if you have something.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

We deployed on a contingency unit with no benefit of a gear issue since we were not replacing an existing unit. No web gear but I managed to end up with a couple of those rubberized 2o round clip holders that slipped over the belt. We also used the empty canvas bandoliers for 20 rd mags. I didn't leave any of that stuff behind when we redeployed.

Forum member hotlead posted this image (I cannot seem to find the original thread) of the "evolution" of the most commonly seen small arms ammunition cases used during and after the Vietnam War:

Top row (left to right):

1. Case, Small Arms Ammunition, Universal (FSN 8465-647-0852) - standardized in March of 1957.
  2. Case, Small Arms Ammunition, M-1956 (FSN 8465-647-0852) - standardized on 27 June 1962.
  3. Case, Small Arms Ammunition (FSN 8465-935-4871) - standardized on 29 August 1967 for use with 20-round 5.56mm cartridge magazines.

Bottom row (left to right):

1. Case, Ammunition, M-16, 20-Round Magazine (FSN 8465-935-6780) - standardized on 15 March 1968 to replace top row number 3.
  2. Case, Small Arms Ammunition (Nylon), 30 Round Magazine (M16 And M16E1 Rifle) (FSN 8465-926-6610) - standardized on 30 January 1969.
  3. Case, Small Arms Ammunition, 30-Round Magazine (M-16 Rifles) (Lincloe) (FSN 8465-464-2084) - limited procurement established by the Army (for USMC use) on 02 March 1971 and standardized by the USMC on 31 January 1972.
  4. Case, Small Arms Ammunition, 30-Round Magazine (M-16 Rifles), M-1972 (FSN 8465-001-6482) - standardized on 22 January 1973, later designation is changed to LC-1.

Bottom number 3 was utilized by USMC during Frequent Wind, Eagle Pull, and the aforementioned Mayaguez Incident. Number 4 is post-Vietnam War.

post-3045-0-27733000-1356032688_thumb.jpg

Regarding the M56 pouch intened for the M14 magazines, I never heard the "sock in the bottom" part, but a friend who was 1st Air Cav in Vietnam told me they would put a magazine horiontally across on top of the vertical ones.

Along with socks, a field first aid dressing was also utilized quite frequently.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Forum member hotlead posted this image (I cannot seem to find the original thread) of the "evolution" of the most commonly seen small arms ammunition cases used during and after the Vietnam War:

Is this the one you are looking for? http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28195-vietnam-to-alice-ammo-pouches/

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Is this the one you are looking for?

That would be it, everything one needs to know about Vietnam War era small arms ammunition cases in one thread!

M1967 M14 Nylon Mag Pouch

Not M-1967. U.S. Navy procurement for use with shipboard M14 rifles. Specifications indicated no suspender attachment straps as individual equipment belt suspenders are not needed. Also grenade attachment points were not needed as no need for grenades on-board. Some did find their way into use by USMC - pilfered out of naval stocks.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

A veteran of 1-20 Inf, Americal (Calley's Killers) told me that almost nobody within a platoon wore real LBE or used mag POUCHES. Typically, riflemen carried mags in two bandoleers and a Claymore bag. Some (about one in ten) guys had extra pockets sewn into or onto jungle jackets. Frags went into canteen covers, three in each cover.

Rucksacks were "luggage", used to carry overnight gear. All ammo and fighting items were carried on the person. Pockets of jungle fatigues carried anything necessary to survive, for a day and a night. That timeframe covered the usual scenario from breaking contact with an ambush or otherwise making a run for it, Upon "hot contact", rucksacks were thrown into underbrush, for retrieval later.

Most guys in his platoon also carried belted MG ammo or M-79 grenade bandoleers or radio batteries (these in a second Claymore bag). My source was a rifle platoon ldr, then Co XO. Once he could scrounge up 30-rd M-16 mags -- but no pouches -- he carried six mags in a dispatch case, as well as a bandoleer of 20-rders. For a time, he carried an M-14E2 and had mags in a GP ammo bag and/or the map case. He passed the M-14 to a grunt because it mostly just drew fire his way, thus complicating radioing for fire support.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.